Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Will NOT Disappear In Your Lifetime

I never had unconditional love and that fact was openly stated in my house. You were expected to behave a certain way and that was a requirement of being part of the family. At a very early age, I was told "there's the door if you don't like it." Scared the bejesus out of me, until I was 17 and walked through the door, by choice, for the last time.

I think it is harder but maybe also prepared me more for the world. I've been tossed around, kick when down, shoved aside and thrown in the trash (as have most / all of us), but I never expected anything else (was surprised at the harshness sometimes though), so I took it all and just kept moving forward.

Low expectations is less fun, but maybe sets one up better for life's erratic but not uncommon fastballs to the head.

I don't really know, but think less early is better - not sure and I know there are no one-rule-fits-all answer out there.

3fingers

One Too Many
Corn Flakes. They've been around well over a century, and there's no reason to think, barring the catastrophic collapse of civilization, that they won't be around ad infinitum.
This is true, but Post will never be forgiven for discontinuing the finest example. Post Toasties were a staple of generations of my clan. It didn't help when the impertinent young fellow at the grocery informed me that they stopped making them because only old people bought them. o_O

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Do NOT use Vaseline in your hair. DAMHIK. haha

IMG_3350.JPG

Hair dressing (pomade) to keep the flat-top or crew-cut hair style in place.
Duck-tails and long side-burns like Presley was a no-no at high school. :(

Last edited:
Do NOT use Vaseline in your hair...
When I was going to junior high (called "middle school" these days) each year the school faculty decided to have a "50s day" on which we were encouraged to dress as if we were in the 1950s. One of my male classmates used Vaseline in his hair to emulate a "greaser" look, and the following day he showed up looking like he hadn't shampooed his hair in a year despite his claims that his mother shampooed his hair five times trying to get all of the Vaseline out. Sure enough, the day after that he showed up with his hair shorn to about 1/4" long because that was the only way to get rid of the Vaseline.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I never had unconditional love and that fact was openly stated in my house. You were expected to behave a certain way and that was a requirement of being part of the family. At a very early age, I was told "there's the door if you don't like it." Scared the bejesus out of me, until I was 17 and walked through the door, by choice, for the last time.

I think it is harder but maybe also prepared me more for the world. I've been tossed around, kick when down, shoved aside and thrown in the trash (as have most / all of us), but I never expected anything else (was surprised at the harshness sometimes though), so I took it all and just kept moving forward.

Low expectations is less fun, but maybe sets one up better for life's erratic but not uncommon fastballs to the head.

I don't really know, but think less early is better - not sure and I know there are no one-rule-fits-all answer out there.

You had a very tough upbringing.
I was 19 when I left for the military. I was homesick but somehow I managed.

From what I have read from your posts, you seem to be grounded in your outlook
on foreseen and unforeseen expectations.
I believe there was someone or something that provided some sort of anchor that
gave you a thread of a more hopeful outlook on life.

You had a very tough upbringing.
I was 19 when I left for the military. I was homesick but somehow I managed.

From what I have read from your posts, you seem to be grounded in your outlook
on foreseen and unforeseen expectations.
I believe there was someone or something that provided some sort of anchor that
gave you a thread of a more hopeful outlook on life.

My girlfriend and I argue about this all the time, but I think my upbringing was tough but overall fair (she says it was tough and unfair). Sure, like any house, some rules were arbitrary and a moving target on an off day, but in general, I was expected to do my chores, get decent grades and NOT get into trouble and, if I did that, I was pretty much left alone to go about my day - seems not unreasonable to me.

In general, I was taught to, basically, expect bad things to happen, so it did ground me as I roll with the punches (mainly) and am grateful for the good stuff (never expected it, so it feels like a gift when it happens). I think the positive outlook / vibe you get from me is that my life turned out better than the pile of rocks I expected it to be.

Last thought, at some point, every adult, IMHO, is responsible for being an adult and owning their life, outlook and outcome whether or not they had a good or bad / hard or easy / rich or poor / supportive or unsupportive upbringing.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Last thought, at some point, every adult, IMHO, is responsible for being an adult and owning their life, outlook and outcome whether or not they had a good or bad / hard or easy / rich or poor / supportive or unsupportive upbringing.

I agree with you that it’s up to ourselves on which road to take.

That my folks loved me there is no doubt.
But this does not paint the entire picture growing up for me.
There was no expectations at all. If I came home with bad grades from school,
there was no lecture or punishment at all, ever.
There was no rules of what was expected of me.

I realized after graduating from high school that I needed to take certain subjects
in order to qualify for higher education.
It was very difficult. I was not used to or had the mind
set to study required subjects which were boring at the time.
Somehow I managed.

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
When I was going to junior high (called "middle school" these days) each year the school faculty decided to have a "50s day" on which we were encouraged to dress as if we were in the 1950s. One of my male classmates used Vaseline in his hair to emulate a "greaser" look, and the following day he showed up looking like he hadn't shampooed his hair in a year despite his claims that his mother shampooed his hair five times trying to get all of the Vaseline out. Sure enough, the day after that he showed up with his hair shorn to about 1/4" long because that was the only way to get rid of the Vaseline.

Yes, there are Vaseline-like products, such as pomade, and then there is Vaseline! They are not interchangeable.

P.S. - I could have been the guy in that story.

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
Have you ever noticed how often the word "original" is applied to things, from food to music groups, both here and elsewhere?

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Have you ever noticed how often the word "original" is applied to things, from food to music groups, both here and elsewhere?

Yes. Ever since I was a kid.
rfzHh.jpg

Although some items today labeled as such are not.
Much depends on whether you experienced the product as it was
originally produced and can compare to what’s passed as “original” today.
Today it looks like it
s a catch phrase.
I love Dr.Pepper & Coca-Cola in glass bottles.
But the flavors are different than when I was a kid.
About one of the things that hasn
t changed is a good
slice of New York pizza. :p

Last edited:

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
If something has been manufactured by the same company for a hundred years, does it ever stop being an original? It would be rare to find something that has been manufactured that long without some changes being made. If anything was changed, does it stop being an original?

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
If something has been manufactured by the same company for a hundred years, does it ever stop being an original? It would be rare to find something that has been manufactured that long without some changes being made. If anything was changed, does it stop being an original?

If anything was changed, it would be a new revision of the original.

I love Dr.Pepper & Coca-Cola in glass bottles.
But the flavors are different than when I was a kid. ..,

I've noticed that too, although sometimes I wonder if it might be attributed in part to my sense of taste having dulled somewhat over time. And perhaps it's less a "hardware" issue than a "software" one. You know, the sensory organs may be working nearly as well as they ever have, but the novelty of what they are sensing is gone.

I recall when I was introduced to Dr. Pepper, in Kansas, at around age 8. (If it was available in Wisconsin, where I had lived, it never entered our house, or my consciousness.) The flavor was INTENSE. And irresistible.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I've noticed that too, although sometimes I wonder if it might be attributed in part to my sense of taste having dulled somewhat over time. And perhaps it's less a "hardware" issue than a "software" one. You know, the sensory organs may be working nearly as well as they ever have, but the novelty of what they are sensing is gone.

I recall when I was introduced to Dr. Pepper, in Kansas, at around age 8. (If it was available in Wisconsin, where I had lived, it never entered our house, or my consciousness.) The flavor was INTENSE. And irresistible.

No doubt the sense of taste will dull with time. More so when one smokes.

One thing to remember is that the ingredients have changed over the years.
Ovaltine chocolate is one example. The labels may say original.

ovaltine-products-addmilk.png
But it is not the same Ovaltine as the one I tasted when I was a kid.

I have a knack for remembering things from a very early age.
And I still remember what a naturally sweet peach or watermelon
used to taste like.
The ones offered today in stores are not as good.
I can still find the peaches that are home grown & delicious.
In Temecula, I stayed at a place that grows grapefruit, oranges
and wine vineyards.
It was heaven on earth.

I’m not from New York, but I do know when I’ve tasted a good slice of pizza.
I believe Fading Fast would agree with me.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters