Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage ties from Modern ties...

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Here's a home-craft hint-
Make do and mend-

You know how modern ties, even if they have a nice print or pattern, are generally too 'padded'? ...don't look 'right'...too thick to cut the vintage style of the thin floppy/flappy '30s/'40s variety? Well, that's because they have a thick interlining attached to the inside of the back and sometimes a full lining but usually just the open back of the point is lined.
Well- rip out the interlining and the lining and there you go, vintage floppyness.
You may need to re-sew the back of the tie depending on how much damage you did/how the lining/interlining was attached...

Now you have a tie with a pattern that you like, that is floppy and the appropriate width. Even with a modern wide tie- 3-4", they may be contoured slightly differently to vintage, over the length but pretty much the same-
the length of course, of a modern job may be more useful to some taller folk!

I found a diagonal striped tie, Navy- red/white, that was kind of appealing but just too stiff and padded, so I ripped the guts out and the lining and sewed the point down, as you see on the old single layer, un-lined, un-padded ties.

Now I have a tie which was a 'Christmas gift', the type that sits around until it gets thrown out- which is a useful tie.

The great benefit is that it is now 'thin' and can be tied with a VERY small knot and have an appropriate 'flare' from the knot, out to the width-
not limited by the thickness of layers.

If you wish, and if you need to re-sew it and are going to give it a good, stiff re-ironing, you could even re-contour and re-sew it to modify the flare...

You now have the power to make a passable 'vintage' tie from a modern one.

Happy craft hour-

B
T

Harry Marlowe

New in Town
We all need to tie one on, now and again.

Here's one of my favs.....$1.25...local junk store.

brown_diamondtie.jpg

sandysot

New in Town
I've been assembling thrift store clothes for a classic American and English look which, so far, has included fully woven silk ties.
After reading your post I think I'll start to pick up those 30s 40s painted numbers that I so glibly passed over these past number of weeks.
Maybe vintage golden era has a place in my closet too.Thanks for the tip on how to vintagize a painted modern tie.

Sandy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats