Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Ventilation

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
While it's still summer (is it really August already?) -- I thought these ads might be of interest. There have been discussions here about perforations in lightweight lids and the extent to which they help to cool things off -- but these ads show a more all-out approach. Looks like both Stetson and Dobbs were marketing a more comprehensive ventilation system: open weave ribbons, vents in the crown, perforations in the sweatband, and (at least in the case of Dobbs) perforations in the top of the crown, as well. Air-conditioned lids...:)

StetsonAirlift.jpg

DobbsAirFlo.jpg

AirFlo2.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Pfft! Open weave this, subtly hidden that. Ha!
You want air-flow? I got 'cher air-flow right here.
(Oh, and yes, just like the picture shows, it does glow in the dark.)

variouscaradine.jpg

;)

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
That sure is one fine lookin' hat, Lefty...:eek: :eek: :eek:

I especially like Model 202 in the lower left corner of the ad, the "Airhead" Sombrero...:D

Cheers,
JtL

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Didn't any hat makers put a little battery powered fan gimmick inside of their hats?
If not I would be surprised.

After some highly controversial animal testing, it just didn't work out.
45715170.skeezix_propbeanie.jpg

lol

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
Remember when Dick Cheney was Vice President and accidentally shot his buddy with a 12-guage while hunting?

He caught hell for that, but the one benefit was the excellent ventilation his friend's hat received.

Pilot99

Familiar Face
AlterEgo said:
Remember when Dick Cheney was Vice President and accidentally shot his buddy with a 12-guage while hunting?

He caught hell for that, but the one benefit was the excellent ventilation his friend's hat received.

LMAO!! lol lol

Sam Craig

One Too Many
My old Stetson derby has the vent holes in the top of the crown. They form a maltese cross when you hold it up to the light

I must say ... when you wear that hat on a 100 degree day, the breeze that flows through is absolutely chillinglol

Hey, least they tried, right?

Great ads, Jimmy, Thanks,

Sam

GWD

One Too Many
Air Conditioned Dobbs Milan

web.jpg

My air conditioner is blocked by a rather thick puggaree and the leather sweatband and my forehead! No wonder it didn't work! :eusa_doh:

Stan

A-List Customer
I can still see it up against the sky....

Hi,

I lost one of my original family hand-me-down hats by shotgun ventilation.

I had just made my first perfect score shooting skeet, so one of the guys whipped off my hat and tossed it up into the air and.......it was well and truly ventilated! lol

I still have it packed away in a box somewhere in the garage....

I have half an evil mind to tell you it was a pristine Stetson 100. :eek:

But it was a 1950's run-of-the-mill Champ (feel the felt) that was nothing special at all. In fact it was my least favorite hand-me-down hat at the time, which is precisely why I wore it shooting! :p

For those that don't know and are reeling in horror at someone shipping of their hat and blowing it full of shotgun pellets, this is what happens when someone shoots their first perfect score. :D

later!

Stan

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
For purposes of vintage ventilation reference, here is the classic diamond pattern, used by Stetson in the Playboy and Shore Club, respectively...

1949BurtLancaster.jpg

SCLeft-2.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy