Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Extended Cold Weather Clothing System (ECWCS) discussion

mumpy

A-List Customer
Hi everyone,

I've searched the forum but I couldn't find a thread about ECWCS and similar type of military clothing systems.

I am new to this and do not have a military background but I am fascinated by some of these garments for how functional/durable they be.
You can find these items at excellent prices online, even in new condition.

I can see this type of clothing being super useful for people who like hiking or backpacking. These garments compress really well. I am able to fit a Gen III Level 6 waterproof GORE-TEX jacket in my cargo pockets.

I've found some resources that are very useful and will link to them at the bottom of this post.

The ECWCS system has 7 layers and certain configurations of these layers make sense for certain situations. I've found the following picture to be useful as a starting point:

1692349103168.jpeg

I own the following pieces and have more on the way.

This is a Gen III Polartec Fleece (Level 3). Very lightweight and insanely warm. Can be found for 40-50 dollars new with tags. Cheaper if slightly used.

2023-08-18 10.03.25.jpg

Military specification: https://ciehub.info/spec/PD/GL-PD-06-03_2007-12-28.pdf

Below is a much heaver Gen II Fleece. I heard very good things about this one and some people prefer this over the Gen III. Insanely warm.
Same price range as the Gen III but more difficult to find in good condition.

2023-08-18 10.03.28.jpg

Military specification: https://quicksearch.dla.mil/Transient/E73C3123E79A44C980276ED3B0FD9C3F.pdf

And the last piece is a Gen III Level 6 jacket. This is completely waterproof and made of GORE-TEX. It has sealed seams and everything. I got this one for around 60 dollars but it can take some time to find the right deal. I will keep this one in my car when autumn/winter arrives. Can throw it over anything in a downpour.

2023-08-18 10.03.31.jpg

Military specification: https://sam.gov/api/prod/opps/v3/op...3fed5bfee8ff/download?&status=archived&token=

Sizing is pretty generous and it is important that these fit relatively loose so air can circulate inside the layers and keep you warm.

I am generally a Medium or a 40 in jackets and went with small/short or small/regular for these. Even though I sized down, all these pieces fit pretty loose on me. I've found the base layers to be too tight in small though.

This is a really good website with lots of information about this clothing system (can even find Ebay deals through there).

If you own similar garments, this thread is the right place to discuss!

Hope this information is useful!

Last edited:

mumpy

A-List Customer
I have been buying from Ebay. I find that it helps to search by code (NSN) instead of by name sometimes.

For example, if you go to the Level 6 page on Ciehub, scroll down and click on the code that corresponds to your size (try Large/Regular as an example) and you will get Ebay deals on that page (if there any).

EDIT: Updated URL.

Good stuff, though probably heavier than what most backpackers might prefer. I picked up a set of unused Gen III Level 6 last year after losing a Gen II set in a move. Made by PROPPER for the Air Force in what is called the Digital Tiger Stripe pattern. An improvement over the Gen II set I had. I also have the Gen II and III Polartec fleece jackets and much prefer the Gen II. I'll post pics when I get the chance.

Rich22

Practically Family
I have a European equivalent of the Gen III Polartec Fleece (Level 3) and it was the only warm top I needed back when I travelled around the world for three years. It was perfect for it, with only minimal damage after so much wear. Best thing I ever did with my life, that trip.

I have a European equivalent of the Gen III Polartec Fleece (Level 3) and it was the only warm top I needed back when I travelled around the world for three years. It was perfect for it, with only minimal damage after so much wear. Best thing I ever did with my life, that trip.
My son is a Junior in High School, and I’m trying to encourage him to be a foreign exchange student for a year before he goes to college… I did it and it changed my life. Exposure to other cultures and people is the best experience we can have IMO.

Rich22

Practically Family
My son is a Junior in High School, and I’m trying to encourage him to be a foreign exchange student for a year before he goes to college… I did it and it changed my life. Exposure to other cultures and people is the best experience we can have IMO.
I couldn't agree more! I hope he goes for it.

mumpy

A-List Customer
Last edited:

Dbtk44

New in Town
I'll have to check into the fleece jacket!
I have several made by COLUMBIA (pleasantly toasty!) and they're perfect for under my motorcycle jacket...and, just chillin at home. I wonder how the GEN III Polartec fleece jackets compare.

Fifty150

One Too Many
I have several made by COLUMBIA (pleasantly toasty!)

An absolute value when you can buy them for around $20 from Amazon or Costco. I have several. Very much worth the money.

perfect for under my motorcycle jacket...

For motorcycle rides I like Eddie Bauer goose down hoodies. They are lightweight and warm. My dad has an old Eddie Bauer leather jacket, which they call an "aviator style", which is lined with goose down. Too bad that it's too small for me. Eddie Bauer used to sell good stuff. I guess some of the stuff that they sell today is still pretty good.
screenshot-2023-11-16-23-59-12-png.561393
1700208389146.png
1700208158211.png

I wonder how the GEN III Polartec fleece jackets compare.

Polartec is a brand name. The generic item most of us know as "polar fleece"

1700208741172.png

To put it into perspective, 300 weight garments are the warmest. The government issued jackets, and jackets from high end retailers like The North Face and Patagonia, are 300 weight. I like the Squall jackets and coats from Lands End, which uses 300 weight fleece as a lining material.

Screenshot 2023-11-17 00.38.18.png
Screenshot 2023-11-17 00.37.09.png

1700211095301.png
1700211233522.png

Average retail items like Columbia are usually 200 weight. Good when used with other layers. Like when you have a leather jacket.

1700209680042.png

100 weight garments are usually found at discount retailers, or at fashion stores at the mall. Amazon brands are usually 100 weight. Thin. Not very warm. Okay if you are just wearing it as a fashion item, because you like the way it looks. Just right for people who work in offices or if you're walking around in the mall.

1700209929720.png

Micro fleece is usually used as a lining material. During the fall and winter, you see fleece lined pants and jeans. Sometimes you see micro fleece pajamas.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-16 23.59.12.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-16 23.59.12.png
    190.7 KB · Views: 479

Dbtk44

New in Town
Fifty150, Sincere Thanks for sharing this info!! Really appreciate it! I must confess, I didn't know about the weight designations...great to have this info.

I have to agree, the Columbia fleece are very good and a great value. I usually wear one under my G-1, just the right amount of warmth. I've been eyeing some of the Patagonia stuff, great to know its even warmer than my Columbia items. Layering is important for me when I ride in the winter..some mornings I head out in mid 30s-low 40s temps, and end up in 60s-70s at the end of my commute several days a week....3000ft elevation to just about sea level. That's when the G-1/Columbia combo shines....G-1 isn't much more than a goat skin windbreaker really. Depending on the wind though (I'm in northern AZ desert), sometimes I need JUST a little more warmth...

Shame about that Eddie Bauer, THAT sounds like it would be a great riding jacket! I know goose down is revered by many for its incredible warmth.

Thanks again for the info fifty150! Really appreciate you taking the time!

Fifty150

One Too Many
Shame about that Eddie Bauer, THAT sounds like it would be a great riding jacket! I know goose down is revered by many for its incredible warmth.

Too bad for me that I'm physically larger than my Dad. Other people in the family will get a lot of good stuff from him. Not me.

Once, I took a M-65 field coat liner to a tailor, and had it shortened. I could have done it myself, but at that point in time, I did not own a sewing machine. Then I put it into an A-2 style leather jacket, and handsewed some buttons off some old BDU pants and shirts.

If I have another jacket made, I will ask them to use a goose down jacket as the liner. I bring in the goose down jacket. They sew it into the leather jacket. It can't be that hard for a jacket maker to do.

G-1 isn't much more than a goat skin windbreaker really.

I hang my head in shame, because of how many leather jackets and coats that I own. My excuse is that I ride motorcycles, and leather jackets are safety equipment. But I have more leather, than days of the week.

Taylor's Leatherwear makes jackets with linings that zip in and out. I have several. They are very good quality. They make jackets with the zipper in the middle, as well as jackets with the cross zip style. My favorite Taylor's jacket is the NYPD model. If you call them, I think that they can send most models of jackets with blacked out buttons and no badge holder.

1700285862909.png
1700285971085.png
1700286011879.png

The outdoor sports/functional clothing is an interesting thing for me as a passionate short hiker!

So far, so good, I already got nearly all I wanted, with one exception.
My classic in cold weather season was and still is the simple Jersey cotton turtleneck shirt under my jacket. Versatile, super warming, longlasting, nearly cheap.

But like I said, in my case SUPER warming and sweaty cotton, so it's never an option for sporty walking.
What I tried with some succes, is combining mediocre fleece jacket + simple classic undershirt or in colder weather fleece jacket + classic sleeved rib t-shirt.

But can anyone tell me, if one of these new times "breathable" microfibre undershirts is a good working option??

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am a fan of merino wool.
A layering system of 100% merino shirts from Icebreaker, for example, is a good basis for staying warm. I used to like polartec etc. as a mid layer and still use it for sporting activities, but I'm also increasingly using merino for this. For sports I use something with Primaloft as a jacket and shearling for leisure activities when it's really cold.

mumpy

A-List Customer
Yeah many times I will layer with a merino base layer under an Iron Heart heavy flannel so I can keep wearing my favourite pieces even when the weather wouldn’t normally permit it with older clothing technology

Ansai heated vests and jackets. I wear a Henley, this and leather jacket. Toasty. Very warm.

And look good as an outer layer for activities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner