Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage vs Modern

be_lovely

One of the Regulars
Vintage style

I believe that more and more now a days that the vintage style in clothing is making a comeback, even tho I have no original pieces besides jewlery, I have had better luck in finding dresses, skirts and tops as of late. I have always had a way .since I was a teenager of bringing something into my outfits that may be classic or classic looking, but now more and more as I grow older, I find that the pieces that I look for are mostly vintage replications. I have this beautiful red dress I found at Boscov's for only $16 bucks that is (what I used to call) "Old Hollywood". I wore it for my works christmas party, and felt like I stepped back in time. i am so excited to be able to share my fashion style with such a group of people.

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
MoxieGrl said:
You ladies that have listed recycling as a reason for wearing vintage has really given me something to mull over. I've never thought of it like that, but the oposite... I've always felt that when I wear vintage it's sorta "bad" because my wearing it I am destroying a piece of history.... I suppose the line of thought came from originally collecting much older pieces where it is destroying a piece of history to wear original garments.
Now, I would never wear a 1910s or 20s dress or anything earlier because I have mentally set this aside as being "perserved" but will wear a 30s or 40s dress if I don't forsee doing it any harm that day, and something from the 50s or 60s I'd wear casually. Does anyone else have similiar lines of thought? What age makes a piece of vintage from "vintage-wearable" to "vintage-collectable?" Or is in not an age, just a rareness (and necessarily anything past X years of age is rare no matter what garment it is)
Hope this isn't getting too far off topic, I was just pondering!
-Stormi

I definitely take the period and overall value of my garments into consideration. I have a few family pieces of clothing and jewelry that I would only wear on a very formal occasion, but I wear my 40's and 50's items on a daily basis. For me, it's more of the sentimental value that keeps me from wearing things casually. I have an easier time wearing vintage jewelry that is probably very valuable than I do taking my grandma's common Monet bracelet to go dancing, because I fear breaking it. However, the majority of clothes I have I do wear consistently...I always purchase things with the intention of using them. It's the things I inherited that I treat differently.

whatadump!

New in Town
Oh, this topic has SO been on my mind since Saturday.

I was shopping this weekend and found an adorable dress that had a lot of potential. It needed to be taken up in the shoulders so that my undergarments wouldn't make any surprise appearances while wearing it. I am smaller on top than I am on bottom, so I'm used to clothes not fitting so well around my, um, bosom. But, I liked the dress so much, I was willing to take it to a tailor and probably spend the same amount with her that I spent on the dress. Until...

...I looked down at the waist of the dress and saw that almost all of the stitching in the midsection was starting to come out. That ticked me off. I mean, I was standing in the dressing room of a nice dress shop looking at an unraveling garment that I would expect to find in a discount department store. I did not buy the dress, although I mourned it for a good half hour. :mad:

Anyway, I remember one of my grandmother's philosophies was in spending more now to save more later. She spent a tidy sum on her wardrobe, but it lasted her for years. Also, she invested in pieces with classic lines and patterns that never went out of style. Mind you, this was a lady who washed and reused aluminum foil and plastic bags. She was always frugal, but she was never cheap.

By the way, Hello! I introduced myself in the Beauty forum, but, well, Hello!

Katie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael