Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Weddings

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
We also did our wedding on a budget. We saved money for the six months between when he proposed and the wedding day. If we couldn't pay for something in that time, we didn't need it. I did a lot of bargain shopping - both in stores and online.

I made my dress from a Vogue pattern in a classic princess style. (Posted a photo of it in the wedding dress thread, I think.) The bridesmaids made theirs as well from a cute 50s style dress pattern. I found all of the fabric and patterns on sale for 50-60% off at local fabric shops. My sister (a pastry chef)made the cake as our wedding present. I used all of the friends that I knew had certain talents to contribute to the overall event.

We splurged on having the band that was playing the night we met play at the reception. They cut us a great deal because we met at their show; they were responsible for our romance! We also splurged and spent $800 on a photographer. He's a friend that is a professional. He gave us 100 4x6 prints, 20 8x10s, and rights to make as many prints from the high resolution cds of all of the shots he took. Cool!

(Lemme know if you want to see photos. I can post some.)

Photomuse

Familiar Face
ITG said:
Once you reach 15 posts here at the lounge the PM feature will work. 13 more to go!
P.S. I love your work on your site.

Ahhhh!! Thank you!!! I'm a dunce at reading the fine print!! Thank you for letting me know!

Photomuse

Familiar Face
GoldLeaf said:
Photomuse: Such lovely work!

I have elegant taste, but I hate debt and make crap money as a government employee. My parents are poor, and my in-laws work in factories so they couldn't help. What is a girl to do? I know I am not the only girl on the boards in this situation. How to get lovely pictures without shelling out your entire budget?
]

GoldLeaf, thank you!
And the wedding market is very tough! I totally agree. I'm also engaged and (SLOWLY) planning a wedding, and it is hard to keep the prices down. We will probably just do a very small destination wedding at this point.

I keep thinking of where the money could go (house!) instead!

I think anything in the wedding market, not just photography is tough on a budget. There are ways to save, but I've seen it backfire too often as well. The old addage " you get what you pay for" - but it doesn't mean you give up, but it will mean you'll spend more time looking and you'll have to be prepared to be thorough.

And wow, that smile on your face! You are one happy girl! And he looked to be one happy guy! It looks like you had a memorable day!

Photomuse

Familiar Face
GoldLeaf said:
So, when we cut the cake, we cut the wall between our figurines in a symbolic tearing down of the fear and the pain that separate people, and joined our figures together.

First - that is awesome. I love when couples bring in symbolism and meaning to the traditions.

Second - I LOVE that castle!!!!!!!

KIM!!! Smooches to you!

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
The cake idea is fantastic!!! In my head I´m having everything for a wedding, even the location, the hairstylist and which photographer I will ask to snap the pics... I just need a proposal, but I don´t expect it to come now - In 1-2 years is more realistic. lol :p

Kim_B

Practically Family
I too planned my wedding on a very tight budget. My dress was the most expensive purchase at $300, followed by the DJ and the flowers (for just the wedding party and special people who helped us out). The reception was held at an armory because we could use it for free since my uncle was in the military; this same uncle as well as most of my aunts cooked all our food for the reception and it was all homemade. The cake was made by a lady my mom and I worked with at the time - most delicious cake I've ever tasted! Our limo was borrowed from a friends of my dad's. We did all of the decorations, including all the table arrangements. Our photography suffered greatly because of it - if I knew back then what I know now, I would have made sure it was done by some one a little more experienced. Oh, and our video? Never got it back from the company that filmed it. They lost it. But since it was a gift, they figured it didn't count. :(

If I had it to do all over again, I would have a very simple beach or outdoor wedding...very casual, but still elegant. And I'd probably spend all my money on a photographer (although I am a bit biased since I am one!)

G

GoldLeaf

Photos are so much more important than I thought. I didn't think at the time that I would have regrets years later. I too may have had a reception with home cooked food instead if I knew that I could have had a professional photographer. Ah well, you live an learn, right?

I figure, one day when we are older and have a bit more money, we can renew our vows and really have fun. I hope to be one of those couples that are madly in love to the end :) So far, so good :)

And its wonderful to hear how many of us made magic happen with a tiny budget. So often you hear and see these lavish weddings. I would have loved to have had one if I had the cash, but I am so proud that I didn't start my marriage in debt because I spent outside my means. We have a hard enough time with the bills that we do have, hehe

Three cheers for the frugal, thrifty, and creative!

For anyone on a budget I reccomend using The Pro's if they are in your area. I was in PA when I got married and used their combo of video, DJ and photographer. It was the best deal at the time (10yrs ago). For the photo's I got an 8x10 print of every shot, an album and I got to keep the negatives. I forget how much it was but it wasn't expensive.

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
I agree. I'd never go into debt for a wedding. I mean ... we'd have been happy with just us at the court house (I would be wearing an evening gown to the court house, of course.) Ours is going to be a little, er, fancy. But the wedding isn't about us, it's for the family, so they can have whatever they want, and if they want gossamer swags and ice sculptures I'm not going to stop them.

I could do without the plague of locusts though.

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
Photomuse- Thank you for your offer for photography!! I am looking for a photographer and one with an appreciation for vintage photography is definately right up my alley ;)

Has anyone had to plan a wedding pretty much by themself? My fiance is a tour manager for different bands in the heavy metal scene and I am guaranteed to not see him for AT LEAST 6 months out of a year, if not more. It is something I knew about before we started dating, so I'm used to it at this point.

My biggest problem is the fact that I'm having a hard time nailing down this date because every time we do, we find out that he has to work. And it's not a job he can take a few days off of. If he doesn't go, he loses the entire tour, and that's 1/4 of our income for the year. So it's not really an option. And bands don't plan their tour a year in advance. We're lucky if they plan 4 months in advance.

But in the meantime, I'm at home trying to plan a wedding all by myself. I live in Philadelphia, my family lives in Massachusetts, and my fiance is constantly on the road. Has anyone else had one or both of these problems? I need some words of wisdom! I'm getting really anxious about all of this!!

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
My husband helped with a few key parts; he found the venue, the judge, and suggested that we have the band that played the night we met play at the reception. The rest was up to me.

My advice? Find the venue first. That will be the biggest headache for you. They're usually booked at least six months in advance. If you find a venue that meets your needs and budget, the wedding date will usually pick itself. I hate to say it, but he might have to adjust his schedule for the wedding.

After you have the venue, go out shopping and see what kind of wedding stuff you like. There's a lot out there! I kinda picked a theme (shades of pink for my color; and a country-ish flavor for the rest as he's from Texas), and focused on finding things that fit my theme. I found little cowboy boot shaped bubbles for our favors. A girlfriend made a pink-and-white gingham table runner for the food table.

I made my dress, so I spent hours finding the pattern. Once I had that, the fabric was pretty easy. I knew I wanted pink, so it was just a matter of finding the right shade. For the bridesmaids, I chose a quilting cotton that was pink with roses. It went well with the rest.

There are several ladies on this forum that have successfully - and creatively - planned their wedding on a budget. Feel free to pick our brains for ideas and resources!

G

GoldLeaf

I did mine pretty much myself. My hubby found the baker, but I did EVERYTHING else. Including hand made paper that was constantly drying all over my house. Hubby was in college finishing his senior year and he graduated Magna Cum Laude, so he studied his butt off. No way was I getting in the way of that. I kept him in the loop, but didn't bother him. My mom wasn't much help because she didn't like that my venue was 3 hours away . My venue was affordable, darn it, and they were wedding experts that catered to the bride. I got 5 star treatment when I only spent $900 with them. How could I complain or turn it down!?

Yikes, you may have a tough go with finding a venue without having a date. Churches may be the most flexible if they have a fellowship area, but you would still need a caterer. Parks are usually pretty flexible, too. You would have to have a tent in case of rain, and tent rentals can be expensive and can book up fast. I would put in a couple calls to caterers and see what they have to say. Culinary schools may have students that would be willing to cater for you for less/be flexible. The experience and the recommendation are pretty important starting out.

With more information you will be able to make a better decision. I agree with Babydoll, the venue will almost decide the rest for you. The castle theme emerged with me after finding the great little restaurant. Start contacting places and see how flexible they can be with dates. Will the wedding be in Philly or MA? If it's in MA you could as your paretns to do a little research.

The internet is great, I used it exclusively to plan my wedding 4 years ago, and people have an even better web presence now.

texasgirl

One Too Many
I am getting married at the end of March, and I have been planning our wedding for about a year. He has helped with the music and photographer, but I have made most of the little decisions myself- I get this blank stare if I ask for opinions on minor things-lol!
Honestly, I don't know how you can plan anything without a firm date. That is the most important part. When you call a florist or a photographer or a musician, the first thing they ask you is the date. The only other thing would be running away together with a few family and friends and having a destination wedding. Good luck, and let us know if we can be of any assistance!

Kim_B

Practically Family
I figured this was as good of place as any to share this...

Yesterday my family (aunts, uncles, cousins, etc) spent the day cleaning out the entire upstairs/garage/attic of my grandparents' house as my grandfather passed away last October. He was quite the packrat! At any rate, I managed to find my Grandmother's wedding scrap book!

Here are a few of the clippings that were in it...
The Engagement Announcement...
EngagementAnnouncement1951.jpg

The text reads:
Betrothal

Engagement - January 15, 1951

It all happened like this. We were just sitting there listening to the radio and Dave asked if I would ever consider being a GI's wife. Brother, he didn't have a chance after that!

News Clipping Reads:

Wedding in April - An April wedding is being planned by Miss Marilyn Nettrour and PFC. David L. Wade. The announcement was made today by Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Nettrour, 1629 Well St., parents of the bride-elect. Private Wade, a former Fort Wayne resident, attended Central High School and is now stationed with the US Air Force at Walker Air Force Base, Roswell, NM. Miss Nettrour attended Central Catholic High School and is now employed by the Cleveland Graphite Bronze Co. (Rogers Photo)

And here is the Wedding announcement as it was printed in the newspaper...
WeddingAnnouncement_2.jpg

The text reads:
Marilyn Nettrour Becomes Bride

Miss Marilyn Nettrour recently became the bride of Pfc. David L. Wade, USAF, in St. Peter's Catholic Church, Roswell, NM.

The bride is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Nettrour of 1629 Wells Street. The bridegroom is the son of Mrs. Irma Dangler of 752 Davis Street.

The Rev. Ambrose Kroger officiated at the wedding.

The bride was attired in a white satin and Chantilly lace ballerina-length gown fashioned with a queen Anne collar, fitted bodice and long slim sleeves. Her finger-tip veil of imported silk illusion was held in place by a lace Juliet cap. She carried a bouquet of white carnations tied with satin.

Miss Cecelia Harding attended as maid of honor in an aqua Chantilly lace ballerina-length gown. Her accessories were white and she carried an arrangement of pink and white carnations.

The best man was Pfc. Eugene Stevens.

After the ceremony the bridal party and immediate families were served a wedding dinner.

The couple is residing in Roswell where the bridegroom is stationed at Walker Air Force Base.

I am trying to get my hands on a copy of their wedding photo - I did some restoration for their 50th anniversary, but no one seems to know what happened to the original! :eek:

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
That scrapbook is priceless Kim! I love the description of the bride's attire and all of the old fashioned terms "bride-elect" and "Brother, he didn't...". The dedication on the first photo in green ink is sweet too.

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
Wedding last minutes.......

Ok I was supposed to get the three strapped shoes from remix for my wedding shoes. I told my mother months ago to order them for me. What does she do, last week she tried to order them and got an email back today that they don't have my size! Ah! I have one month before I get married.
So, ladies please help me I am looking for a low black wedge prferably with silver accents but its crunch time and I can't be all that picky. Thanks for all the help!

Samantha

Snookie

Practically Family
Sorry to hear about your shoe dilemma...Newport News has some options...not as perfect as Re-Mix, but the price is better!

Don't some local vintage stores carry Re-Mix? On the East Coast? Maybe if you post what style and size you're looking for, someone might call their local stores and see if any are available?

http://www.newport-news.com/shop/pr..._cat_id=7517&nav_cat_id=7520&category_id=2624

http://www.newport-news.com/shop/pr..._cat_id=7517&nav_cat_id=7519&category_id=3189

http://www.newport-news.com/shop/pr..._cat_id=7517&nav_cat_id=7519&category_id=3189

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou