Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VintageGoth?

Story

I'll Lock Up
Brooksie said:
Thanks Laura - I will have to check out Poppy Z never heard of her.

Rut ro - warn your toes, they're about to curl!
rofl.gif

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Story said:
Rut ro - warn your toes, they're about to curl!
rofl.gif

Haha! Poppy isn't great literature, but I liked reading it back then. I remember I particularly liked Drawing Blood and Exquisite Corpse (goth titles, huh :rolleyes:).

But Brooksie, she is very pretty! I can't post photos because she is very nude on most of her photos, but very pretty, in a flapper goth kinda way.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Marc Chevalier said:
Yes indeed. In the mid '80s, I was a semi-goth when the media clumsily pegged us as "New Romantics." In addition to Dead Can Dance, we listened to Zymox and Scraping Foetus Off The Wheel, and went to downtown L.A. basement clubs: "Scream" was probably the best of 'em.

I do remember Clan of Xymox but I don't have any of their stuff. As for Jim Foetus of Scraping Foetus Off the Wheel (possibly the grossest name of all time for any musical ensemble) I find the album NAIL to be one of the finest records in post 1960 music. Sometimes I find myself murmuring "I can do any ******* thing I want" from that record, which doesn't go over well when I'm teaching Latin, believe it or not.

Death in June and Current 93 may be the marks of an older person, but DIJ still play and many of their songs are unimprovable such as "Runes and Men" and "Giddy Giddy Carousel."

I still do love Dead Can Dance. I also think that the Swans side project "World of Skin", or at least the album of that name that had the covers of "The Man I Love" and "Cry Me a River" is one of the greatest things ever -- it's somewhat industrial with an entirely deathly feel.

As for the old Scream club in LA in the 1980s: one of my best friends, Chris Dosher, is an old habitué of that place and still speaks of it fondly.

Woland

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
Yes indeed. In the mid '80s, I was a semi-goth when the media clumsily pegged us as "New Romantics." In addition to Dead Can Dance, we listened to Zymox and Scraping Foetus Off The Wheel, and went to downtown L.A. basement clubs: "Scream" was probably the best of 'em.

Foetus was a great act indeed.
At the time I used to insist that I was far away from the new "New Romantic" look, more like "New Violentic"! :cool:
My garments was not exactly inspired by "High Culture".
More like a lean & mean orgy of tight fitting synthetic blacks...

I also experimented some with "Pinkissimo".
I vaguely remember an outfit:

Pinkissimo trainers.
Pinkissimo tight fitting pants & sweater.
Pinkissimo synthetic fur coat (foot long).

Or:

2 X Pinkissimo fishnet pantyhose.
One covering (nearly) everything under the waistline.
Then a nice pair of jeans with holes (from wear) which made pantyhose nicely visible.
The other pantyhose was ripped apart in chosen locations to make it usable as a sweater.
A "biker-style" denim jacket (no arms) with Aladdin Sane as a backpatch.

bowie-aladdinsane.jpg

Top it off with black hair, slicked back. with a ponytail going down to my waist.
4 hours of constructive make-up.
Voila! A real & proper walk on the wild side... :rolleyes:

kid_death_queen_bitch.jpg

Am kinda in doubt if I should be happy or saddened by the lack of photographic memorabilia from the days of my youth...

Brooksie

One Too Many
Laura Chase said:
Haha! Poppy isn't great literature, but I liked reading it back then. I remember I particularly liked Drawing Blood and Exquisite Corpse (goth titles, huh :rolleyes:).

But Brooksie, she is very pretty! I can't post photos because she is very nude on most of her photos, but very pretty, in a flapper goth kinda way.

I looked up Poppy and I do see the resemblance - she is EXACTLY one year and one month older than me and the other thing that we do have in common is that I LOVE to write short stories. Just this last Christmas I started a blog on blogger with my collection of stories, they all have vintage themes, I like to write about devils, vampires, ghosts, and rape victims. (Sorry folks to break this to you and you all thought I was so civilized!) I have a ton of stories rolling around in my head but I am soooo busy I don't have time to get my thoughts onto my blog.

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
I am not a goth ;) I guess I am more of a metalhead (of the so-called "extreme" variety). The transition from that to vintage would have been quite a bit more difficult without the invaluable assistance of gothic influences :)

I personally think it all makes perfect sense :p

And I derive some sort of pleasure from dressing up all elegant and feminine while I listen to agonizing screams on my headphones :D if only they knew!

Esme

One of the Regulars
Poppy Z. Brite identifies as male, you know.
She hasn't been writing for awhile now, has been ill since the first flood in New Orleans, but hopefully she will start writing again, soon. She has a really interesting blog.

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
Esme said:
Poppy Z. Brite identifies as male, you know.
She hasn't been writing for awhile now, has been ill since the first flood in New Orleans, but hopefully she will start writing again, soon. She has a really interesting blog.
I had no idea. I remember reading all of her books in my mid teens. My favorite was Lost Souls. I'll have to check out her blog.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
M Tatterscratch said:
Ladies and Gents,

A few things I've seen and read here in the Lounge have me wondering - Has anyone besides myself and, I presume, Ms. TheKitschGoth, come to Vintage through the Gothic style/subculture? If so, who, how, and why?

Paint It Black,

T.

Like many others, I didn't come to vintage via Goth, per se, but dabbled in the look a bit in high school, and to this day appreciate darker colours, Gothic architecture, art, jewelry and clothing, but for many a year now (over 20) I haven't looked the part, just kept it in my heart.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I was just listening to Dead Can Dance which reminded me how awesome it was to be goth when I was a teenager. The other day I was dying one of my yellow dresses black, which also made me feel very goth.

Come out of your closets! Anyone else have photos of their goth days? I wish I had more to show you, but I think that's it. We didn't have digital cameras and camera phones and stuff back then.

Brooksie, your photos still wow me! They make me want to take proper goth photos today. :)

Mario

I'll Lock Up
I am not and never was a goth, but I do miss the look of them back in the 1980s, when they were all over the place her in Berlin. Berlin was very goth in the 80s. It touched something in me, as did the music - even though I'm more with the old school of 'proto-goth' music: Joy Division, Bauhaus of course - and Virgin Prunes (I love them!! They were so off, so bizarre and yet so funny!).

And even though I am no goth, I do still mostly wear black, grey and red color combos.

Laura: Those are some very cool photos! Love them all.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Mario said:
I'm more with the old school of 'proto-goth' music: Joy Division, Bauhaus of course - and Virgin Prunes (I love them!! They were so off, so bizarre and yet so funny!).

Ditto there, Mario! And how lucky you are to have lived in Berlin in the 80's. It was an interesting place to be at that time, to put it mildly. I would love to have experienced Kreutzberg and its music scene back in the 80's... But alas, I was born in 1985. lol

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Laura Chase said:
Ditto there, Mario! And how lucky you are to have lived in Berlin in the 80's. It was an interesting place to be at that time, to put it mildly. I would love to have experienced Kreutzberg and its music scene back in the 80's... But alas, I was born in 1985. lol

Well, yes...seems you missed that weird time by a heartbeat or two... One of the most vivid memories I have of that time is Nick Cave. I met him a lot (never talked, just marvelled at him) in the Kreuzberg subway, and he would sit there, slumped, pale, dressed in black (of course), with a long coat - and always, always with his sketchbook and a ballpen, looking mightily dazed out. Sometimes Blixa Bargeld would be with him, too. Well, that was a long time ago...

But then, for some reason, I sometimes still look like I did in the 80s. The photo below was taken just a few weeks ago (note the winklepickers! Those are my vintage 80s pikes which I found again in an old cardboard box, stashed away in my mother's attic, just a few weeks ago. They were as hard as Krupps steel... The last time I wore them was...well...you must have been about two years old...in 1987! :eek: Ouch! My back hurts! :D):

marquee.jpg

Brooksie

One Too Many
Brooksie, your photos still wow me! They make me want to take proper goth photos today. :)[/QUOTE]

Hey thanks again Laura! I have a pic with me wearing a blond wig and people say I look like Lisa Gerrard the singer of Dead Can Dance. I do not look Goth in the pic but I think it is appropriate for this thread, when I have time I will dig it up and post it.

Brooksie

Lillemor

One Too Many
I feel very fortunate that I live in an area and have nearly always lived in areas that have no scenes neither mainstream nor subcultures or maybe I'm just so weird and nerdy that I don't observe these things.lol So my own nerdy interests have always been my main source of style inspiration and nothing I've noticed around me. My style has never been tied to other tastes such as music. Fx. I'm very happy to listen to Patti Page, Connie Francis, Dion Dimucci, Bobby Vinton, Frankie Avalon and Bobby Rydell even on days where I feel the strongest attraction to gothic aestetics. I can be very happy and bright in apparel one day and look very retro homemaker and feel like listening to nothing but Gary Numan.

Eyemo

Practically Family
A picture I took of my friend Natalie doing her vintage Goth...she also made the dress!

Gothic-1-1-2.jpg

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass