Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

waistcoat+suit colors

Empyrium

One of the Regulars
thinking to buy a black waistcoat separately, but i wonder if i can combine it with a suit of a different color.
Does anyone here combines a suit with a different color waistcoat? Any pics?

Thank you

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
Empyrium said:
thinking to buy a black waistcoat separately, but i wonder if i can combine it with a suit of a different color.

Thank you

Personally, I wouldn't combine black with anything but black, of identical weave if possible. I find light coloured but weighty linen waistcoats (in grey, cream or buff, like morning waistcoats) go very well with suits in all sorts of shades, and that would be my general choice. Alternatively, grey doeskin is also a good and versatle option, particularly for autumn and winter.

Belloqinabush

New in Town
I've always like the pairing of cream coloured waistcoats with darker jackets, but when I see them online they are far more often than not linen which I always assume is strictly a warm weather material. Would it be odd to pair such with heavier materials off season, or even tweed? I know Saint Paddy's day is this weekend and recall the Duke wearing a light coloured waistcoat.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family

Thank you

One of my favourite things! Let the pictures speak and you judge for yourself:
harristweed003.jpg

Not a suit per se, but you said black.
newsuit001.jpg

grayblack.jpg

The jacket is from a suit, and I have combined this waistcoat with that suit before.
blackpinstripe.jpg

Orphaned suit jacket, but the same ensemble would work just as well (maybe better) with the trousers included.

In case you didn't notice, I love mixing odd waistcoats with suits :D

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I would always recommend a light coloured waistcoat. It was a look that was very popular in the UK in the 1950s. Here are some screen grabs from british films of the period:

ImalrightJack-palewaistcoat.jpg

ImAlrightJack-paleWaistcoat2.jpg

MakeMineMink-KennethWilliams-contrastingwaistcoat2.jpg

scoundrels-waistcoat.jpg

And here's my take on that look:

IMG_0575.jpg

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The waistcoats with the small lapels were a neo edwardian thing in the 50s, non?
Your take on it looks better than the screen grabs imo, Two Types.

When it comes to modern suits and waistcoats I think it will be more different to pull off due to the thin shiny modern fabrics. Most modern suits are intended as businesswear only and don't go well in sporty combinations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred