Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wanna 1920s/'30s-style Newsboy Cap? Have One Made!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

(Thought this subject might deserve its own thread, since the theme is very specific.)

grant said:
Could anyone suggest a good hat maker that reproduces the old newboy caps from the 30's and 40's?

Thanks,
Grant

Grant, there are many makers worldwide of newsboy caps, and I imagine that some of them reproduce the old '30s style. However, I don't think that any of the makers mentioned thus far in the "NEWS BOY CAPS" thread are doing so. That's not to say that they don't make great caps --they do-- but they're not the kind that you say you're looking for.

Your best bet might be to go to a capmaker --Hatpeople or B!Wear-- and ask them to reproduce a '30s-style cap for you. Below are some photos of two genuine 1920s/'30s newsboy caps. The dark brown one, from the '30s, is a size 7 1/4; the lighter one, from the '20s, is adjustable from about a 7 to a 7 1/2. They have some distinct details which make them different from later (and modern) caps. (Look closely at these photos and compare them to the pics of the other caps in this thread. You should see some differences.)

Feel free to show these photos to cap makers. Ask if they can make reproduce the style. I'll add measurements soon.

The 1930s cap:

1920sand30snewsboycaps004.jpg

1920sand30snewsboycaps003-1.jpg

1920sand30snewsboycaps002.jpg

1920sand30snewsboycaps007.jpg

1920sand30snewsboycaps008.jpg

1920sand30snewsboycaps012.jpg

1920sand30snewsboycaps009.jpg

1920sand30snewsboycaps010.jpg

1920sand30snewsboycaps011.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
That's a big part of it, but there's more. For one thing, the top part of the cap tends to be flatter --like a pancake or two-- than are most 8-panel caps today. Also, the back part of the cap tends to be longer, going further down the head toward the nape of the neck, and higher up as well. One other (not really important) detail: the button at the top of the cap is very small, around the size of a sportcoat's sleeve button.

Edward

Bartender
Love those hats! I especially like the scarlet lining of the second one. (Curious: is the second of English origin? Coincidence, maybe, but the top view very much puts one in mind of the Union Flag - deliberate?). It seems to me that the detail most evocative of that period is the longer bill, which in later examples I've seen is generally fully covered by the top when the snap is fastened. Just this evening I was rewatching Michael Collins, after finding the DVD cheap in an HMV sale - it's absolutely full of caps just like these.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Edward said:
Love those hats! I especially like the scarlet lining of the second one. (Curious: is the second of English origin? Coincidence, maybe, but the top view very much puts one in mind of the Union Flag - deliberate?).

The second one is especially well made: the lining is pure silk satin. It comes from the L.B. Cap Co. of Cincinnati and was made for the T.W. McCall store of Rainsboro, Ohio.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
MEASUREMENTS

First cap (dark brown, 1930s), size 7 1/4:

Diameter of top (flattened): 10 1/2 inches

Width of bill/visor: 7 3/8 inches

Depth of bill/visor: 2 3/8 inches

Height of back: 4 inches

Second cap (light brown, 1920s), adjusted to size 7 1/4:

Diameter of top (flattened): 10 1/4 inches

Width of bill/visor: 7 3/8 inches

Depth of bill/visor: 2 3/8 inches

Height of back: 3 1/2 inches

Brinybay

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
That's a big part of it, but there's more. For one thing, the top part of the cap tends to be flatter --like a pancake or two-- than are most 8-panel caps today. Also, the back part of the cap tends to be longer, going further down the head toward the nape of the neck, and higher up as well. One other (not really important) detail: the button at the top of the cap is very small, around the size of a sportcoat's sleeve button.

That would explain why I felt I looked like a complete dork when I tried on a modern version. Something wasn't right, but I didn't know what. Great info!

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hi,

I'd say if some of us who are interested, unite our efforts, and send the proposal, and show our interest in acquiring such a cap, to the prospective manufacturer, it would be more possible they agree to make a new pattern.

What do you think?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW