Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wanna 1920s/'30s-style Newsboy Cap? Have One Made!

Edward

Bartender
Subject to price (and shipping) being reasonable, I'd be interested too - especially with a scarlet lining the same as the second one has.

mike

Call Me a Cab
who's making them? In speaking with HatPeople a few months ago, they are too busy to attempt new patterns [huh]

Excellent photos! I'd love to see modern buckled flat caps! My favorite caps that most vintage-inspired are the J Peterman/Jonthan Richard "handsome thug" caps.

Feraud

Bartender
Is the sweatband material on this one?
Marc Chevalier said:
1920sand30snewsboycaps011.jpg

Is this sweatband half leather?
Marc Chevalier said:
And here is the 1920s cap:

1920sand30snewsboycaps015.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
On the first cap, the sweatband material is waxed cotton, though the front of the sweatband is of black velveteen cotton. Interestingly, the bill/visor is made of natural rubber covered in fabric. Natural rubber never loses its rubbery smell, which makes this cap an olfactory challenge to wear.

On the second cap, the sweatband material is of the same crimson silk as the lining, though the sweatband's front is of "genuine Russia calf leather" (as stamped on the leather itself).

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the measurements, Marc. As soon as I've a chance I'll be off to my tailor (Al's Attire in North Beach-he makes vintage style caps as well as suits). I think his caps are quite close to the examples that you've provided. Now you've got me curious as to just how close his reproductions are. I Have to go along with the others on the red lining; it's a wonderful touch.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
On the second cap, the sweatband's front is of "genuine Russia calf leather" (as stamped on the leather itself).

Wonder if this is the same stuff they use for the shoes in the UK which came from the Von Flensburg shipwreck in the 1700s?

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
The 30s style cap is officially in the works. Two days ago I visited Al and commisioned a cap to be made using Marc's photos as a guide. I'll have a chance at one or more fittings to make certain that all of the details are correct, then the finished cap is mine sometime near the end of this month. I chose vintage (1940) heavy navy blue serge with a red lining. The sweatband is a soft brown leather which will have my initials punched into it. If I'm happy with the results I'll have a linen one made for the summer. Pics to come.

One question: What was more common on caps in the 20s/30s; an attached snap or none?

mike

Call Me a Cab
Sefton said:
The 30s style cap is officially in the works. Two days ago I visited Al and commisioned a cap to be made using Marc's photos as a guide. I'll have a chance at one or more fittings to make certain that all of the details are correct, then the finished cap is mine sometime near the end of this month. I chose vintage (1940) heavy navy blue serge with a red lining. The sweatband is a soft brown leather which will have my initials punched into it. If I'm happy with the results I'll have a linen one made for the summer. Pics to come.

One question: What was more common on caps in the 20s/30s; an attached snap or none?

Are you having it designed with a cinching strap? Sounds great! Does your guy take orders over the phone or anything? How much will it run you?

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
mike said:
Are you having it designed with a cinching strap? Sounds great! Does your guy take orders over the phone or anything? How much will it run you?
I'm not getting the cinching strap on this one, but perhaps the next one. Here is his contact info:

A custom cap is $120. This includes material although you could supply your own material so that might lower the cost.

Pip, I love the picture in your avatar. Is that you? Well done.

Best regards,
Jon

It's interesting to compare the measurements of Marc's 7 1/4 with my smaller caps from the same eras. All the dimensions seem to be proportionately smaller, except the crown diameter which is bigger!

First one is Canadian (The Barrymore Cap. Canada's Best Cap. Trademark Reg'd). Size 7

Diameter of top (flattened): 10 3/4 inches

Width of bill/visor: 7 inches

Depth of bill/visor: 2 1/2 inches (snap is 1 1/4 inches from the edge of the bill)

Height of back: 3 inches

I'll measure up my others tonight.

Marc Chevalier said:

First cap (dark brown, 1930s), size 7 1/4:

Diameter of top (flattened): 10 1/2 inches

Width of bill/visor: 7 3/8 inches

Depth of bill/visor: 2 3/8 inches

Height of back: 4 inches

Second cap (light brown, 1920s), adjusted to size 7 1/4:

Diameter of top (flattened): 10 1/4 inches

Width of bill/visor: 7 3/8 inches

Depth of bill/visor: 2 3/8 inches

Height of back: 3 1/2 inches

Second cap is 8 panel, 1930s and American (M. Kibbin Distinctive Headwear). Size 7

Diameter of top (flattened): 10 1/2 inches

Width of bill/visor: 7 1/2 inches

Depth of bill/visor: 2 1/4 inches (snap is 1 1/4 inches from the edge of the bill)

Third cap is 8 panel, 1930s and American (Custom Made, Schaefer hat Store, Saginaw Michigan). Size 7 1/8

Diameter of top (flattened): 10 3/4 inches

Depth of bill/visor: 2 1/8 inches (snap is 1 1/8 inches from the edge of the bill)

Height of back: 2 1/2 inches

Fourth cap is 8 panel, 1930s and American (Tailored Cap. Headwear of Distinction). Adjustable size (strap) to about 7 1/8

Diameter of top (flattened): 10 inches

Width of bill/visor: 6 1/2 inches

Depth of bill/visor: 2 inches (snap is 1 1/8 inches from the edge of the bill)

Height of back: 3 1/4 inches

Fifth cap is single panel, 1940s (CC41) and British (Reg'd Name and Design. The Venty-Cumf (ventilation comfort) Cap. Three Strides Ahead). Size 7

Diameter of top (flattened): 10 inches

Depth of bill/visor: 2 inches (snap is 1 1/2 inches from the edge of the bill)

bk

No probs.

I must say that a serge cloth is a very "interesting" (i.e. unusual, quirky etc. etc.) choice for the fabric of your custom job. Any reason for it/ Matching a suit?

the best i've seen is a Edward VIII 3 piece knickerbocker suit with cap to match. Beautiful! And the cap!

bk

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Baron Kurtz said:
No probs.

I must say that a serge cloth is a very "interesting" (i.e. unusual, quirky etc. etc.) choice for the fabric of your custom job. Any reason for it/ Matching a suit?

the best i've seen is a Edward VIII 3 piece knickerbocker suit with cap to match. Beautiful! And the cap!

bk
I just liked the look and feel of it, nice and heavy. I may get a suit made out of the same material if I can (when I have some extra $$). I wasn't certain that matching a cap with the suit would go well, but I may have to give it a try. If it works, it works. If it doesn't I'll probably still wear it! Oh, and I am a bit quirky too. (semi-joke).

Any chance of a pic of Edward VIII in that 3 piece? Love to see it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW