Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wanted: Quality leather jacket for a small guy! Irvin, B3, B1 etc.

MattJacket

New in Town
Hi all,

First post so please be gentle with me!

I've been reading this forum with great interest. I've also been looking to invest in a quality leather jacket as a daily wearer.

I like aviator jackets so I've been looking at Irvin's, B1, B3s, B6s etc. I'm also keen on horse hide jackets. Military stuff doesn't need to be original and non-accurate repros are fine.

Now here's the problem... I'm short and skinny, we're talking 5' tall and 7.5 stone here. Obviously it's a real nightmare to find good clothes that fit. I don't mind baggy but sleeves are the biggest issue.

So, to cut a long story short (excuse the pun) does anyone have one of the above jackets or something similar in a 34" or strangely small cut that they would consider selling me?

Cheers,

Matt

MattJacket

New in Town
Hi all,

First post so please be gentle with me!

I've been reading this forum with great interest. I've also been looking to invest in a quality leather jacket as a daily wearer.

I like aviator jackets so I've been looking at Irvin's, B1, B3s, B6s etc. I'm also keen on horse hide jackets. Military stuff doesn't need to be original and non-accurate repros are fine.

Now here's the problem... I'm short and skinny, we're talking 5' tall and 7.5 stone here. Obviously it's a real nightmare to find good clothes that fit. I don't mind baggy but sleeves are the biggest issue.

So, to cut a long story short (excuse the pun) does anyone have one of the above jackets or something similar in a 34" or strangely small cut that they would consider selling me?

Cheers,

Matt

I'm also watching this B3 at the moment. It looks like it might fit but the reviews on Aviation Leathercraft don't seem particularly positive on here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121840496952?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Cheers,

Matt

MattJacket

New in Town
Well, I've got a chap in Japan looking for one for me. I'm guessing that's going to be Avirex or Schott. Probably not great.

An opinions on the Aviation Leather craft one in the link?

Cheers,

Matt

Last edited:

MattJacket

New in Town
Aero does offer customization - maybe you should contact carrie at thurston bros to see if there are some options for a much nicer jacket...
Thank you.

A new custom jacket is sadly out of my price range. However, getting a used one and having it altered is a possibility. Sleeve length is the main issue.

Cheers,

Matt

MattJacket

New in Town
Sorry for all the questions but I really value any help or opinions that I can get.

My chap in Japan thinks he can get me a Schott B3 in a 32" but my understanding is they're big for their marked size.

Is it acceptable to turn the sleeves over on flying jackets and if not, can anyone recommend a good tailor in the UK who can shorten sleeves on a jacket that they haven't supplied?

Thanks in anticipation!

Matt

MattJacket

New in Town
Thanks so much!

I have a ton of respect for this forum and the users and I know this isn't the most exciting of thread in the world!

Cheers,

Matt

MattJacket

New in Town
Hi guys,

The options I have are:

1. Buy the Aviation leathercraft jacket in my first link - looks like it might more or less fit me.
2. Buy a Schott B3 in a 32 from Japan. Not sure how small these actually are.
3. Buy something that's definitely too big and get it altered.
4. Wait to see if by some miracle, a different jacket comes on the market in my size.
5. Eat loads of burgers and ice cream.

My budget is about £300.

Cheers,

Matt

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Better wait and buy once and maybe a bit over budget than to rush things, do bad compromisses and end up buying twice.. that's what I think.

Another idea; Johnson Leather has a flying style leather jacket which starts at like 450 USD, that's well within your budget for a great quality, lasting for life all new leather jacket.

eugenesque

One of the Regulars
Do the measurements of the jacket in the first link fit you? You may consider measuring the dimensions of another fitting jacket to see whether such measurements are suitable for you.

I am assuming you are in the UK because you quoted your budget in pounds. If so, you may wish to check out wested leather.

http://www.wested.com/sheepskin-jackets--coats-96-c.asp

They are around Swanley near the outskirts of London.

Pdxgeo

A-List Customer
How about that Waldo Pepper that was for sale a while back...? Did that sell?

MattJacket

New in Town
Thanks for the input everyone. Much appreciated.

Yes, I'm in the UK. Sorry, I should have mentioned that earlier!

The ALC jacket in the first link measures well for me. Jackets that fit tend to have an inside arm length of 15 - 16". ALC seem to be unpopular on here though so I don't know if it's a good prospect or not.

The Waldo is a lovely jacket but not quite what I'm after. I do have a Cooper A2 in a 34 that fits OK but I can't stand the way the waist rides up every time I lift my arms!

Cheers,

Matt

eugenesque

One of the Regulars
It is hard to tell from photographs as one would not know the origins of such photos. Have you tried contacting the seller?

If authenticity is a top concern, I would not suggest getting a second hand one from ebay.

eugenesque

One of the Regulars
What about Wested. Since you are in the UK, you can just pop down easily. They are quite budget compared to others in UK like Aero.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR