Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wanted: Quality leather jacket for a small guy! Irvin, B3, B1 etc.

MattJacket

New in Town
Still looking for a quality leather / shearling jacket in a tiny size. Most things considered :)

Cheers,

Matt

Edward

Bartender
Matt, what age are you? If you're still in your teens (sorry, not always easy to tell on a web thread), I'd avoid spending a big amount until you're a bit older. Between eighteen and 22, I went from a 38c to a 44c. Glad I didn't invest in an Aero then rapidly outgrow it!

Wested do some nice stuff. Their military bits aren't the most accurate and they aren't on a par with the likea of Aero, but for the money, very nice.

Worth keeing an eye out on ebay too once you have a clear idea of the measurements you need (not size- that can change with brand or even model. I have jackets in every size from 42 to 48, all a nice fit....). Smaller sizes turn up every so often, and with less competition from other buyers than the larger sizes, so bargains can be had. Aero's sale page also sometimes has trainee jackets at deep discount.

ALC are very good in quality terms. Round here, they're not so popular as we tend to prefer more historically accurate versions, but ALC are nice jackets if that doesn't bother you. They tend to be popular with the oen top vintage car set. Cirrus is another brand doing very similar stuff. Sometimes you'll see them at good ebay prices because the jacket folks are chasing the accurate repros.

Over in the US, What Price Glory did a cheaper Irvin that was well received by some; don't know the current state of play on that one, but some might....

MattJacket

New in Town
Hi Edward,

Thanks for your message. I'm 36. Sadly my chances of getting another growth spurt is very unlikely now!

I'm avidly searching eBay. I see plenty of jackets that I like but none that look like they'll fit. I'm realistic that almost everything will be a bit too big. I don't mind a loose fit but if my hands are completely swamped by the cuffs it'll look and feel bad.

I know what you mean about marked sizes being misleading. My Cooper A2 in 34R fits acceptibly. I think I measured the chest at 19" and inside arm at 17.5". Other non leather jackets that I have that fit fairly well have a similar chest size but without knitted cuffs, I need an inside arm of no more than 16".

I missed out on a Cirrus jacket on eBay that was being sold as a kid's jacket and had good measurements for me.

Historically accurate jackets aren't essential. Indeed, things like pockets would actually be preferable to me. I'm starting to lean away from the heavy, sheepskin stuff now as spring is nearly here and I'm not sure how much wear I'll realistically get out of it living on the Dorset coast. Something like a HH Aero would be great.

Cheers,

Matt

MattJacket

New in Town
Thank you. I spotted that one about an hour ago!

I got all excited when I saw the listing but when I looked at the measurement, it still looks to be quite 'long'. Being steerhide, I think the sleeves will stay very straight and I'd not be able to loose any length from creases. It's a good price though so definitely not out of the running yet.

Cheers,

Matt

tblay

One of the Regulars
I wish I'd seen this much closer to your post date. As a thin, 5'7", size 36 guy, I can certainly sympathize. The market certainly privileges bigger guys (and I understand the reason why).

The Schott B3 is enormous. I tried a 32 on once and I could've fit another of me inside it. It's sized for corn-fed ranchers, although I don't know why a 44, for instance, can't measure as a 44. Anyway, I certainly wouldn't go that route, if you're still looking.

There's a Langlitz Cascade that looks fantastic listed on the U.S. eBay site. Measurements list the back length at 22.5," which seems like it would fit you. Sleeve measurement listed at 21". Again, judging by my own measurements, this should fit you, if you're a little shorter/smaller than me.

MattJacket

New in Town
Thanks so much for your reply. It's comforting to hear that I'm not alone - although you are a giant next to me!

I know that there's a jacket out there for me somewhere. The Langlitz show that jackets do exist in smaller sizes. Sadly it's far in excess of my budget.

I was briefly considering this jacket but it would probably be too baggy on me and I'm not a huge fan of knits due to their fragility.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vtg-HERCU...1864267147?hash=item35fc2ff18b:i:231864267147

Cheers,

Matt

MattJacket

New in Town
Still looking.

Getting to the point where I'm prepared to sacrifice a good fit in order to own a decent jacket.

Cheers,

Matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21