Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WANTED: Woody's specs (eyeglass frames, that is)

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I hope that someone will be able to sell me a pair of these distinctive eyeglass frames or point me to a reliable source.

I've been wearing eyeglasses since I was 3 years old and have been collecting different types for about 20 years now. Over the years I've come close, but I've not yet found a pair that are identical to the style that have become Woody Allen's trademark. There are many similar ones out there, but always some element is wrong; too much curve on the brow, wrong rivet guards (the little silver metal bits on the front, near the hinges), etc., etc.

The Criss Optical model called "Yank" comes close in many ways, but their dimensions aren't right. All of their models have a lens width to height ratio of about 12mm--i.e., 46mm wide X 34mm height. Ideally it should be only a 10mm difference (46mm wide X 36mm high). The Criss Yank is too rectangular.

The vintage frames made by the Tart Arnell corp. are very close. The bad news there is that it is widely known (and exploited) that they are favored by Johnny Depp. A decent pair will set you back $300-$400! If Mr.Depp didn't wear them I guarantee that they'd be a more sane price of between $30-$100. They're nice frames, but they're not worth $400.

Here's what I want:
Must be black color-no translucent or stripes. Rivet guards are rectangular or diamond shaped.

Frame width: 5"-5 1/4". Frame height: approx. 1 5/8".

Temple arms: 5" 3/4"-6" long.

Lens dimensions: 46mm wide.

Lens height: 36mm to 37mm.

This four-eyes would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks!

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
David Conwill said:
How about:

a) The Shuron Freeway or Sidewinder?

or

b) Zenni No. 3666?

I've been toying with buying the Zennis as a pair of sunglasses.

-Dave

I've looked at those in the past and while they aren't bad, they're not it. I'm just as obsessed with the details of these eyeglass frames as many here are about crown taper and brim width. Thanks for the efforts. Much appreciated!

SMP

New in Town
These should do the trick

Sefton,

I buy all my glasses from Focusers. They have every classic eyeglass style, starting by the way with a Ben Franklin model. Here is the link to the pair you may want and best of all they are $104.00. In fact, they even have a picture of Woody in the add.

http://www.focusers.com/bebops.html

All the best,

SMP

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
SMP said:
Sefton,

I buy all my glasses from Focusers. They have every classic eyeglass style, starting by the way with a Ben Franklin model. Here is the link to the pair you may want and best of all they are $104.00. In fact, they even have a picture of Woody in the add.

http://www.focusers.com/bebops.html

All the best,

SMP
That's Woody all right. And Dizzy,too. Those aren't Woody's glasses, I'm afraid. Like the Shurons they're similar but they don't have certain key features. The bridge is thicker, the outer edges of the frame (front) that extends away from the face is too thick, and they don't have rivet guards. I've actually searched the focusers site a few days ago. I've been to all of the major suppliers of new and used. Again, I do appreciate your help. I'm sure that if any group of people can assist me in finding these it'll be here at the Lounge.

I think that my best shot at this is going to be in the vintage area. Modern reproductions aren't bad, but they always make some sort of changes to the design.
The quest for my grail continues....

La Julia

One of the Regulars
I had a friend that wanted a pair just like that, he didn't get them but he did have better luck looking in vintage shops.

Good Luck, I hope you find them

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Fletch, I think you've come the closest with that link. I did a little quick cut and paste with the model they call the Lemtosh. Here's the results:

Other than the rivet guard shape difference it is nearly identical. It turns out to be similar to the style favored by Johnny Depp after all. If anyone gives me any grief about trying to look like him I'll just say "Who? These are genuine Allan Stewart Konigsberg eyeglasses!"

However, if my wife discovers how much they cost she'll kill me so this is a tough decision...life or the fullfillment of an old obsession? If I get away with it I'll post some pics. Thank you for the help!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Mr. Sefton- upon hearing your plea and small bells ringing in my skull,
I have just spent an hour in the basement, digging out my vintage sunglasses box...

I have unearthed a pair of vintage B&L safety glasses which are quite similar.
A bit heavier/higher on the "frame top and corner toward temple" and a little shorter on that outbound extension,
maybe a shade more "round" in the lens apperture but the same basic shape.
Nose piece is of the same style as your example.
The front rivet holder is "+" shaped (neato)the temple one is elongated, pointed oval, cartoon cigar.
Totally different to Wayfarers, just to ease your mind.

I'll try and get a photo of them tomorrow, when there is some light.
Solid, good quality and condition, green safety lenses, with BL etched
(not bletched) into the lens tops. "B&L safety" on the inside of the left temple.

My memory wasn't bad actually, they're quite close but probably no cigarillo.
I think they're pretty cool(nice) and different from the run of the mill, generic black specs.

Pics tomorrow, all going well.

Remember, the Bellytank has one of absolutely everything in the whole World.

B
T

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
OK, I found some night light.
Photos aren't the best, due to Swedish darkness.

Here they are:

DSCN7254a.jpg

DSCN7256a.jpg

DSCN7257a.jpg

DSCN7259a.jpg

DSCN7258a.jpg

B
T

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for going through your collection to find those glasses BT. They're quite nice and not too far off (looks good in the Swedish sunlight,too). I did in fact buy the Moscot frames from the link that Fletch provided. They were a bit expensive, but I think that they are very close to what I was hoping for and they seem well made. Here's a shot of them:

moscotfl.th.jpg

Thanks for the "eyeglass boy" link. I've checked his site before and he does have some great frames. I appreciate the help.

Best regards,
Sefton

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Well done.

Pulling out my boxes of vintage gumpf was a very useful exercise anyway.
I thank you for the inspiration.

You do have a resemblance to Mr. Allen, don't you?
And a little of the Scorcese in that last pic, perhaps.
Both are heroes of mine.
I hate telling people who they look like just as much as people telling me I look like X.

Sorry.

B
T

volatile

A-List Customer
BellyTank said:
OK, I found some night light.
Photos aren't the best, due to Swedish darkness.

Here they are:

DSCN7254a.jpg

I have some B+L Safety specs like that, with the same + detail, but mine are only half-frames. Love them!

I don't suppose you'd consider selling your wonderful pair to me, would you? Seems a shame to have them sitting in a dusty box! :)

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
BellyTank said:
Well done.

Pulling out my boxes of vintage gumpf was a very useful exercise anyway.
I thank you for the inspiration.

You do have a resemblance to Mr. Allen, don't you?
And a little of the Scorcese in that last pic, perhaps.
Both are heroes of mine.
I hate telling people who they look like just as much as people telling me I look like X.

Sorry.

B
T
No need to apologize, I admire both men although I don't think I look too much like either one. I take it as a compliment!
Cheers!

volatile

A-List Customer
volatile said:
I have some B+L Safety specs like that, with the same + detail, but mine are only half-frames. Love them!

I don't suppose you'd consider selling your wonderful pair to me, would you? Seems a shame to have them sitting in a dusty box! :)

Psst... BT! Clear your inbox, buddy! :)

daisuke1849

New in Town
Hey there Sefton. I've found an almost exact copy of his glasses. THe peaks are a little different, but aside from that, these glasses are just the same. What I have done was taken them to a reproduction facility and asked for them to reproduce this frame in my size. They managed to do so and now my glasses are 50-24-158. They did a fantastic job and now, I'm a true Woody Allen fan. In my opinion, I think you should do that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner