Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WANTED: Woody's specs (eyeglass frames, that is)

daisuke1849

New in Town
No I don't think so. Since 1964, he's had I think 5 different frames. I don't know how he keeps his glasses in shape for such a long time. Maybe he just bought the same pair over and over again, or he is just really caring for his glasses. Who knows?

Edward

Bartender
No I don't think so. Since 1964, he's had I think 5 different frames. I don't know how he keeps his glasses in shape for such a long time. Maybe he just bought the same pair over and over again, or he is just really caring for his glasses. Who knows?

Likely multiples. One reason I moved away from all-plastic frames some years ago was that opticians were only prepared to lens them up twice - initial lensing, plus a second re-lensing. They told me it was because the plastic didn't unscrew, so it has to be heated to stretch to let the lens in. They'll only do this twice as after that they told me the frames would be in danger of ending up misshapen and not properly holding lenses which might then all out.

daisuke1849

New in Town
And they're right! But I've notice as well that Woody Allen's prescription didn't change for 40 years until 2008 when his right eye gave out and now he needs magnification. But I don't really know for sure. I guess you'd have to ask them. And by the way, that doesn't apply for all plastic frames. Only some that are thin and flexible plastic like acetate or nylon.

dogrocketp

One of the Regulars
Actually, if the optician knows what he/she is doing, frames can be used many more times than twice. Old opticians used to stretch the crap out of the frames, because they were stamped out in huge quantities. this meant that the right and left side were frequently different sizes. The lenses were cut as identically as they could be, (given the primitive machinery), and then the frames were overheated in a salt pan to soften the material. Good opticians these days use forced hot air which is much more thorough and less injurious to the material. Lenses and frames can be made with tolerance of about .001 mm. Acetate is not flexible, and if cut thinly can be very prone to splitting. Nylon isn't used much because it doesn't color well. If you want something like Woody's frames, look at the Oliver Peoples website. They're not cheap, but the quality is very, very good, and they knock off vintage frames very well. That's how they got started. Also look at Anglo-American frames. They've been made the same way out of the same materials since the late thirties.

daisuke1849

New in Town
They are okay, but don't have the actual 1960's look to them. They have a more modern approach and don't keep the well-established trend of the 60's. Too bad though. Anglo Americans are superb as well! Very fantastic. I have 4 different pairs of the 406 model. Highly reccomended!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner