Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wanting to Darken Some Leather Boots. Obenauf's?

South

One of the Regulars
I would like to darken a pair of brown leather boots. Will Obenauf's darken the leather? If so, will it darken much?

I don't believe Pecard's will darken, right? Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

illumin8em

A-List Customer
South said:
I would like to darken a pair of brown leather boots. Will Obenauf's darken the leather? If so, will it darken much?

I don't believe Pecard's will darken, right? Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Obenaufs darkened my RW Iron Rangers. Don't have before pictures as i treated them the day that i got them.
bord20100315_1.jpg

Scorpio1972

New in Town
What kind of Obenauf's ??

Hello,
What kind of product is this Obenauf's, leathercare, dye???

Best regards,
Scorpio1972

South

One of the Regulars
Scorpio1972 said:
Hello,
What kind of product is this Obenauf's, leathercare, dye???

Best regards,
Scorpio1972

It's a leather conditioner. The kind I bought, is labeled "Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP". I haven't used it yet, myself. It has kind of a honey smell to it, so I'm not sure if I want it on a leather jacket, but I think others have done so.

Has anyone used it on a jacket? Did the jacket smell like honey afterward?

andy b.

One of the Regulars
That's what I use, the LP. It is like a big tub of butter. Yes, it will darken most leathers. I have the same RW Iron Rangers as illumin8em and they are now almost as dark. The more you apply the darker the leather will get until it has absorbed as much as it can.

I also use it on my leather jacket and the smell is gone in a day. I just wear it outside one time and it seems to no longer smell after that.

I'd recommend it for any leather items you own as it is designed not to seal the pores or cause any type of wax buildup. This isn't like a polish that you apply all the time. You mainly use it when the leather starts drying out and needs the natural oils replenished.

andy b.

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Obenauf customer service experience: I emailed to ask specifically if there is silicone in the oil & cream/palm products, the only answer I got is “all of your questions can be answered by reading our info page.”

I really detest this type of customer service attitude, it’s either arrogance, or they simply don’t know about their product. This is typical of millennials style of impersonal, robotic, automated mentality (oh here the link which you can read. She could simply say yes or no, what’s the harm?

The website seems to be informative, it says what’s in them, but does not say what’s not in them (with regard to a common reg flag ingredient like silicone).

Also, an advice they give on suede is alarming, they advice to just apply their water repellent product is enough, but this product does contain (almost entirely is) silicone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Kirby Alison's tutorials on Youtube include one on darkening shoes and boots. As I remember, you simply use a darker color of the Saphir cream, applying it a few times. I did it with a pair of Allen Edmonds' Dalton boots and they came out very nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic