Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wareings Irvin in fantastic condition

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have owned several Irvins from Wareings' contract B22534 which dates to 1939, but this is by far the best preserved. It has all the typical "house" features of Wareings' jackets, large collar rings, a squared-end collar, wide belt loops and narrow seam tapes.The exterior polyacrylate finish is completely in tact and there is almost no wear the fleece. There are no patches or repairs to the skin side of the sheepskin. The Dot zips work very well with their original pulls. Often these jackets have lost their label, but this one has not and it is quite clear to read. It is tagged a size 40, but fits larger and would equate to a size 5.

Very often there is no provenance with Irvins. However this one belonged to Flight Lieutenant and latterly Squadron Leader R E Blake, who was awarded the DFC in January 1944 ’for courage, determination and devotion to duty’ whilst serving with 459 Squadron of the RAAF. This squadron served as a maritime patrol and bomber unit in the Mediterranean theatre of war until it was disbanded in 1945. I have copies of some correspondence regarding Blake's DFC along with copy his Flight Record as well as some contemporary newspaper cuttings following his decoration.

No 459 Squadron was formed at LG 39/Burg-el-Arab, Egypt on 10 February 1942 under the Empire Air Training Scheme. The Squadron was initially equipped with Lockheed Hudson and Bristol Blenheim aircraft and operated in the maritime reconnaissance role. During 1942 and early 1943 the Squadron operated against German shipping in the Mediterranean and sank a number of ships including a destroyer. In September 1943 the Squadron temporally changed roles to become a bomber unit. The Squadron was equipped with Lockheed Venturas from March to July 1944, when it was re-equipped with Martin Baltimore aircraft.
No 459 Squadron continued operating around the Greek islands until March 1945, when it was posted to the United Kingdom. No 459 Squadron shortly thereafter disbanded at RAF Chivenor, Devon on 10 April 1945.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I'm pea green with envy Andrew. I've always loved the collar and pattern shape of the Wareings.

But that photo of the back of the collar is just incredible, it looks exactly the same condition as my 6 year old ELC!

Well done, that's a keeper as they say.

aswatland

Thanks Tim. Yes this one is a keeper, especially as it is great fit and does not have over-long sleeves that are often seen on Wareings jackets

B-24J

One of the Regulars
was so absorbed by your Doniger that I almost missed this post.

It may be too hot to think about an Irvin for some FL members, but I'm always thinking about them due to their history.

The '41-'42 Wareings you posted a while back is still my favorite. But as Wareings go, this '39 is a close second.

John

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Good god and gin man.... isn't it like 90 degrees over there right now? God I look at my Aero in repro in the bottom of the closet and almost faint at the thought of putting anything thicker than a t-shirt on my back...

Wow...

Worf

aswatland

There is nothing I like more than boiling to death in an Irvin when its 90 degrees Worf!;) Seriously though, it was worn for five minutes for the photo shoot and that was quite enough.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Fantastic looking jacket, Andrew. Are there any clues as to how it's been kept in such amazing condition down the decades?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
There is nothing I like more than boiling to death in an Irvin when its 90 degrees Worf!;) Seriously though, it was worn for five minutes for the photo shoot and that was quite enough.

I don't know whether to admire such dedication or run-away from it. Either way "you're a better man than I...."

Worf

Stand By

One Too Many
Andrew, that is an unbelievable jacket you have there ... WOW!!! And I didn't know that Wareings were based in my old stompin' ground of Northampton! :)
May I ask, however did you manage to score such a wonderful find??? (give me some hope, please!)

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
ACK! Wear a scarf!!!

dont wanna put a ring around the neck of THAT Jacket!!! My goodness!!!

That thing is just toooo nice to wear! holy smokes!

Wondering where you scored that, and how much it cost...wow.

aswatland

Or it was never issued.

Good one Pete! :D It was in fact issued to Flight Lieutenant R E Blake, who was awarded the DFC in January 1944 ’for courage, determination and devotion to duty’ whilst serving with 459 Squadron of the RAAF. There is slight wear to the cuffs indicating it was lightly worn in the War before being stored for almost 70 years.

Edward

Bartender
Good one Pete! :D It was in fact issued to Flight Lieutenant R E Blake, who was awarded the DFC in January 1944 ’for courage, determination and devotion to duty’ whilst serving with 459 Squadron of the RAAF. There is slight wear to the cuffs indicating it was lightly worn in the War before being stored for almost 70 years.

Presumably he just didn't wear the jacket that much - Some other type of kit (or non-regulation, pp grear) instead?

I did initially think "hotter climate", but presumably that doesn't make so much difference thousands of feet in the air in an uninsulated aeroplane!?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff