Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Warmer Climates and how we dress

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Twitch said:
If every scientist DID agree there'd still be a myriad of ideas and plans to deal with it which no one would agree on either. So do we drive less by finding jobs closer to home? Do we put catalytic converters on cows' butts to temper their methane output? Do we move our thermostats lower in winter and higher in summer? Do we plug all the volcanos on the planet?

Or ... do we do nothing? Do we keep on keepin' on? Do we consume and pollute more? And more?

What do YOU suggest, Twitch?

yes, they wrinkle quite badly, though i quite like the rumpled linen suit look. They don't seem to look right to me unless they're wrinkled just a little.

This, i do not like the look of:

Arctic_SSMI1979-03.jpg

bk

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I love the look of a wrinkled linen suit...although I think I will get my suit made with flat front pants. My pair of Brooks Bros. linen pleated pants get kind of "accordion"-like on the pleats after my morning commutes.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Jos. A Bank has a line of "Traveler" linen clothes that are remarkably wrinkle-free. Of course they still wrinkle more than wool, but far, far less than untreated linen. And I haven't noticed anything unpleasant about them, unlike other artificially wrinkle-resistant clothes.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Honestly, how does summer wool feel compared to linen? Is it still that really cool, breezy feeling?
On further inspection, I think the '33 dated suit I mentioned in my bird poop thread may actually be summer weight wool. When I held it up to a light, the entire fabric was practically see-through...lots of pores.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Mr. Rover said:
Honestly, how does summer wool feel compared to linen? Is it still that really cool, breezy feeling?
On further inspection, I think the '33 dated suit I mentioned in my bird poop thread may actually be summer weight wool. When I held it up to a light, the entire fabric was practically see-through...lots of pores.

When it comes to performance in the heat, weight doesn't matter nearly so much as weave. A densely woven lightweight twill will be a lot hotter than a heavier weight fresco that has a much more open weave. So, I guess the answer is...it depends. A really open-weave fresco might be nearly as cool as linen.

MJL

One of the Regulars
Bartender Edited: No political comments, please.

I have lived the bulk of my life in the wild southern tropics of Miami-Dade County. The rest of this country has much to learn from our Latino brothers to the south. Here, the Guayaberra shirt is so common that it is accepted as an alternative "norm". These come in the ordinary working shirt/jacket that you see many professional men wear to the expensive, classy hand made garments you see at social events. I much prefer the poly-cotton examples as they tend to wear well and serve a double purpose in acting as a covering garment for the SIG-Sauer P220 on my hip.....to repel boarders!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
MJL said:
, the Guayaberra shirt is so common that it is accepted as an alternative "norm". These come in the ordinary working shirt/jacket that you see many professional men wear to the expensive, classy hand made garments you see at social events.
Ram??n Puig, on Calle Ocho in Miami, makes mine. I prefer Irish linen.

MJL

One of the Regulars
Tomasso said:
Ram??n Puig, on Calle Ocho in Miami, makes mine. I prefer Irish linen.

Wal Mart makes mine...or the fat man store! I only WISH I could afford a linen Guayberra. The way I look at it I am only going to drip Cafe' Cubano on the front and grease from the gat on the tail so the cheapo ones work better for a poor slob like me. Now, if I had the dough I WOULD have Senior Puig make mine.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Renor, there is some good discussion of the sort of active, warm weather clothing here: A General Adventurer's Gear Thread. As an added bonus, all the obnoxious political rhetoric is avoided.

I spend a lot of my time outdoors here, and though I try to avoid a strictly military look, I find a lot of the tropical military or bush gear serves quite well. I wish I could find cotton ripstop pants without cargo pockets. All of my ripstop pants are light, comfortable, and pretty tough, but I don't want that baggy cargo look. Even Bill's Khakis felt the need to add a cargo pocket to their Ghurka shorts, for some reason.

I tend to wear a lot of "safari" gear, too, since everything here gets coated with dust, probably a lot like your area, and I find that the khaki and sage colors don't show the dirt nearly as easily. I even buy khaki hand towels for the same reason! lol

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Liz Claiborne.com has some nice looking linen wide-leg pants:

pLIZ1-3515393big.jpg

No flaps on the back pockets (one thing that really makes a woman's rear end look bigger). They're dry clean only, though.

renor27

One of the Regulars
khaki

[Originally Posted by Mojave Jack ]
"I tend to wear a lot of "safari" gear, too, since everything here gets coated with dust, probably a lot like your area, and I find that the khaki and sage colors don't show the dirt nearly as easily. ''
This is the kind of clothing I was refuring to when I started the thread. I have a pair of J Peterman Out of Africa pants they got the top right but thye legs are well wide enough for three of my legs. Have given them to a taylor I know and she will be remaking them with smaller legs. The cuff were almost 24 inches wide now will be more along the lines of 17 inches. As for other "khaki safari" gear getting an old jeep sweater remade in fleece same taylor she will have patterns of all I get made. They will available for folks to buy. Also looking @ the idea of getting a B3 made in oil cloth canvas with fleece lining all non animal fibers and PETA friendly.
Am going for that northern fronteir of India, ( same kind of climate as Reno Nevada ) or Out of Africa Look
Now just have to come up with the right hat to keep the sun off. Have been toying with the idea of taking a cowboy hat with 4 inch brim and having it block as a Fedora. Have one in straw now that I like ( will post a photo if I can figure out how )
David

cookie

I'll Lock Up
The Appropriate Africa gear

Years ago when I flew to Zimbabwe and we used to go out to safari I had an original bush jacket made in BKK from some Indian khaki cloth I bought in Bombay aka Mumbai. This was a British WWII campaign type jacket with the big pockets and belt and a bit of an action back like a belt back 1930s jacket.

I had a Panama but used the authentic hat which is a wide brimmed felt Akubra type in a khaki or dusty brown colour as you suggest.

The boots can be Palladium or those Israeli jobs are good or the Scottish brogues with khaki socks look at night or even the Timberland maroon big boatshoes with the Vibram commando soles suitably dusty and scratched.

Other accoutrements in Africa are the elephant hair bracelet they all wear for some reason I forget.

I must have got it right because the safari guide said: " You look so good you should be running the safari!"

A lot of this can be found on the 'Bay if you look carefully or safari style outfitters. Years ago Banana Republic had all this stuff.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Yeah - they really turned their back on their heritage...I remember ca. 1990 when their stores were all decorated like thatched huts, with great swing music piped in and merchandise in barrels and crates.

Of course that's back when Pottery Barn still sold pottery. The world's changed. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW