Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Warmer Climates and how we dress

renor27

One of the Regulars
Hello all,
As I sit out side this afternoon khaki shorts and sandles on I can see that Mr Gore is so right we are in the middle of Global Warming.
Due to this fact: I am thinking of moving away from the vintage look of a 1930's American working man and back to an Out of Africa or Northern Fronter look.
Thinking Khaki pants and shorts ( knee high socks when needed)
Light weight shirts
Leather Jacket or jeep sweaters for the cool nights.
Not sure just what for the hat. Have been toying with the idea of a fedora style made with a large brim cowboy hat as the base. Hate getting burned and like the larger brim. Not sure just what this hat will look like any ideas?
Of course Clarks desert boots, cavalery boots, a pair of nice lace up boots and last but not less a pair of sandles for sitting out side durning the cool of the evening.
For evening wear go with black tie and keep it simple.
Have I missed any thing ?
Now where to buy these items?
well E-bay of course
What Price Glory
What other shops?
David
Reno Nv where it is 75 degress today and snow is still on the Sierra above town.

renor27

One of the Regulars
temp outside your home

With out global warming it would be -20 degress today.
Well has been a strange year so far thats for sure can not belive I am in shorts in March in the high desert of Nevada.
David

rongoms

Familiar Face
While I agree that global warming is a total crock, (anyone else remember 25 years ago they were talking about the coming "New Ice Age"???? Funny how things have completely reveresed in this short amount of time when it normally takes a few thousand years to make a significant climate change), The question does arise as to dress appropriately in the summer without falling prey to the shorts+sandals+polo shirt mess.

I've founds that linen or silk trousers are as comfortable as shorts in most cases, and being a Scot, it protects my skin from sunburn as well.
Likewise, cuban-styled silk shirts and of course, a nice Panama or Montecristi.

Bucks are hard to beat, as i just can't bring myself to wear the "jesus-shoes".

of course, there are days when one of my kilts, a tan British 8th Army shirt and ankle boots (with the proper kilt hose) are the choice!

renor27

One of the Regulars
as for the Jesus shoes.

I have a great photo of TE lawrence later in life when he was in the RAF wearing sandles. Kind of though good enough for him then ok for me. I am not looking to wear them with black sock and shorts by any means not the look I want to German.
As for being a Scot and the need for keeping ones legs from burning. As an American who 1/2 of their family left the damp land of the kilts and headed to Southern Rhodesia I seem to handle the sun on my legs just fine. It just takes a few days to get the tan going.
David

renor27

One of the Regulars
oh no but reno did hit 0 degress a few times this year

We did have cold spell in Dec.
Got to wear my winter boots a few times ( Hoffman knee high pac boots )
Just thinking that it is time for a new look to go with the new weather.
Any one have any photos of good hats for this look.
Even thinking maybe build up a flat top jeep to get around in as the land turns to even more of a desert. ( thats what Al is saying is happening ).
David

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Gang, let's keep the conversation off the politics of global warming and on the clothes. This is neither a science forum nor a political forum and nothing will be decided here.
Thanks,
HJ

renor27

One of the Regulars
yes I80 is open

Yes Roads open :eek:fftopic:
Was up in Truckee this morning roads are all clear and no snow on them
An easy drive over the hill for you.
But what about the cloths for the new season.
David:

Mike K.

One Too Many
Hemingway Jones said:
Gang, let's keep the conversation off the politics of global warming and on the clothes. This is neither a science forum nor a political forum and nothing will be decided here.
Thanks,
HJ

Well said Hemingway. :eusa_clap
How 'bout we change the thread to "Summer is coming - how will we dress?"

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
renor27 said:
Yes Roads open :eek:fftopic:
Was up in Truckee this morning roads are all clear and no snow on them
An easy drive over the hill for you.
But what about the cloths for the new season.
David:

It doesn't matter to me. The only thing different between summer and winter is; summer wear shorts, winter wear long pants, summer wear t-shirt, winter sometimes wear a regular shirt.:D And if it's over 35 I could wear shorts if I wanted.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I think I'm going to get a linen or seersucker suit made when I go to Hong Kong/Shanghai for spring break. Do you think a 3-piece or a DB would be more suitable? I think i'll bring a few vintage ones with me so they can copy the wide legs, lapels, and roped shoulders better....the problem with DB is that I don't think they can get the lapels quite right.[huh]

Also, anybody know where to get a boater with a black ribbon? As far as I've seen, new ones only come with the barbershop quartet red/blue one...

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Honestly, I've never even looked for vintage in Hong Kong! Anybody know any good vintage stores or thrift stores in Hong Kong? Ahh....how swell it would be to wear a nice linen suit, with a boater at my side, having afternoon tea in the lobby of the Peninsula Hotel...

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Rongoms- Hahaha! I vividly remember that ice age the scientificos said was definitely coming too! The whole deal with either extreme is just what is anyone supposed to do about it that will make a demonstrable modification to the oncoming doom? To simply say "we must cut greenhouse gasses" is about as vague as saying we need to fart less.

If every scientist DID agree there'd still be a myriad of ideas and plans to deal with it which no one would agree on either. So do we drive less by finding jobs closer to home? Do we put catalytic converters on cows' butts to temper their methane output? Do we move our thermostats lower in winter and higher in summer? Do we plug all the volcanos on the planet?

The problem with all the nonsense is that it has become a cause celeb. Just like Paris Hilton, Anna Nicole or Brittany Spear's outlandish behavior get press global whatever is a hot topic being fueled by the media.

Hell the metorologists in you hometown can't even predict an accurate high and low tempurature within 5 degrees for a 2 weeks running even given the limited geographic area and you want me to have faith in a concept produced on computers using Windows?lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR