Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Was it a "Polo Coat"

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
That was a designer created item. can't remember who. Coats without buttons do exist. I own one. There is a thread on it somewhere in here.

A polo coat is a more normal looking one with double breast and i think no belt. Often Camel hair, unless I am mistaken.

polocoat

One of the Regulars
Your attention is directed toward the Ask Andy forum. Specifically, to "Andy's Fashion Forum." Take a close look at a thread called, "How To Wear a Polo Coat." The answer to your questions are contained in the posting by "Alan C" pertaining to the book, "Elegance" by Bruce Boyer. If you're are interested in polocoats, like I am, these readings are essential. Good luck !

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
It is a good thread, and apparently, there are some in India that had no buttons, or according to a poster, had no buttons. But typically they do, plus a half belt in the back or a full belt.

I actually have a cream one like the tennis player in the photo. What confuses me is how do you distinguish from a non polo coat, such as a wool db trench coat?

Is a Polo any that is thick, and not tapered at the waist?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
reetpleat said:
Coats without buttons do exist. I own one. There is a thread on it somewhere in here.
My '50s German leather DB overcoat has no buttons, just a belt, but it has the inner belt with snaps in addition to the outer one.. Was that just a German thing?

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Thanks to a Loungers posting of the Sears catalogue, I have at last found a picture of the coat I crave!

model141.jpg

its the one on the left, I'm thinking of getting it made up in a Beige/Cream colour, I think the one on display here is in Camel/Donkey, and such practical deep pockets it's Perfect, I belive that is what is called a Raglan sleeve

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Be careful with ragland sleeves.

The jackets worn under them need to have a natural shoulder lest the coat's shoulder line be marred by an unsightly protruding sleeve head.

Lensmaster

One of the Regulars
It is a good thread, and apparently, there are some in India that had no buttons, or according to a poster, had no buttons. But typically they do, plus a half belt in the back or a full belt.

I actually have a cream one like the tennis player in the photo. What confuses me is how do you distinguish from a non polo coat, such as a wool db trench coat?

Is a Polo any that is thick, and not tapered at the waist?

Trench coats aren't wool. They are tightly woven cotton to repel water in wet weather. Wool will soak up water and get heavy.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
BinkieBaumont said:
The pale coloured wrap round overcoat, with no buttons but a "tie" belt, as worn by Warren Beatty in the movie "Dick Tracey." Is it called a Polo coat?
This can be argued several different ways, but since there is no particular requirement for a polo coat to be made of camel hair, then an overcoat made of camel hair isn't necessarily a polo coat. Polo coats have special detailing which makes them polo coats, whether they be made of camel hair or wool or whatever. An overcoat with a belt and no buttons is a "wrap coat".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails