Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Washington State Troopers best dressed

Havana

One of the Regulars
I really like the khaki uniforms of the CHP. Down South, Montana peaked mountie hats and straw open road types are still popular with law enforcement. As for Washington, who knew that any cops wear a bow tie in 2007? I like their style but definitly not those colors. I think the Royal Canadian Mounted Police probably have the best police uniform ever.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Sky blues and black bowties? Nonsense. "Trooper? More hors d'oeuvres please."

Now Rhode Island - there are some well dressed state cops.
Does any other law enforcement agency anywhere in the US still wear brown leather - let alone brown high boots?
Note also the lack of a traditional badge - instead large brass numerals are worn.

RoadTrpUniform.jpg

Jovan

Suspended
I have to agree with Fletch. Those uniforms also command a certain level of respect; I don't think the kids here would dare say bad things about ours if they wore the same thing. I also agree with Havana, though I may be biased as I'm Canadian born. :p

Now I like bow ties, but on those uniforms it makes me think "ice cream vendor" more than "authority figure." Black neckties would be far better.

It's not the bows that aren't feng shui - its the color scheme. Looks like a security guard.

I like the RI troopers - a bit of a "Maj. Strasser" feel, but that's okay - it'll darn sure scare me if I get pulled!

eightbore

Suspended
RCMP, no question....best dressed law enforcement officers in the world. Add a horse under one, a buffalo hide coat for winter wear in the bush (and perhaps other accouterments ;) ) and you've got no contest at all.

maintaining.jpg

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Being from Washington, and having seen the uniforms in person, I can tell you that they're not as light blue as they appear to be in the photo. They're more of a steel blue color.

And silly looking is the plastic covers they put on their hats during bad weather. They look like a shower cap!

FourKingTwenty

New in Town
"Law and Order" magazine publishes the winners of the NAUMD "Best Dressed" competition every year. While the WSP won this year in the state agency category, the Tennessee Highway Patrol and the California Highway Patrol were both awarded "outstanding achievement."

In 2005, the Delaware State Police won in the state agency category, but the Rhode Island State Police were awarded the 80th Anniversary Commemorative Uniform Award, and the CHP was awarded "honorable mention."

The RISP was also awarded "outstanding achievement" in 2004, but the Connecticut State Police won the state agency category.

It seems that most state agencies have very distinctive uniforms and have kept them unchanged since they were adopted. Unlike most county and municipal agencies which mave more "common" or "typical" police or sheriff uniforms.

Havana

One of the Regulars
Those Rhode Island uniforms are awesome. How is it that R.I. didn't win? I love their brown leather belts and holsters. Here in S.C., the highway patrol or state troopers as they're called are seen as a more elite police force. They really do pride themselves on being different from the municipal and county forces. I guess they're seen more as representatives of the entire state which carries a greater responsibility. It makes me sad to see some local police forces even going without hats these days. Appearance is an important part of authority.

Josephine

One Too Many
Fletch said:
Now Rhode Island - there are some well dressed state cops.

I was so impressed by their uniform that I went to their website to email them and let them know. But there wasn't an email address, so I had to call them (Office of Professional Standards)! Thankfully I got voice mail and didn't have to talk to a real person who would have thought I was off my rocker. :D

Erik

One of the Regulars
There are some well dressed troopers out there, and while I'm sure that Washington's rank among them, I can't say I'd place them at the top. Good for them, though.

Those RIers look sharp.

Jovan

Suspended
My only thing against the RI uniforms is... of all things... the gloves being black leather. Everything else they wear is brown leather, it's a little weird. The black leather coat doesn't bother me much, as it's a base uniform colour. Then again, I didn't notice this until someone else pointed it out, so it's probably is fine as is.

RAF Man

One of the Regulars
Certainly like the Washington State Troopers, and the K-9 uniform, but the light colour gives it a certain summertime look. A definite no for the bow tie though. I would be expecting it to either spin round or squirt water from it if I was arrested. :D
The Rhode Island uniform looks seriously menacing and would certainly not like to get tangled up on their wrong side. Those boots and leather Sam Browns must cost a fortune to equip each officer out with.

Barbigirl

Practically Family
WA

Hmmm....I don't recall ever seeing one in a bow tie, but I have only been ticketed once here since 2001. Some of the "bicycle cops" look so casual I wonder, "is that a real policeman?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80