Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Waterproofing Shantung Straw

Oneniner

New in Town
Is there an acceptable method to waterproof treat shantung straw hats? I've seen silicon, NiKwax TX, shellac suggested but not from any source I trust

Sokolva

New in Town
I know this is a dead thread, but it is still popping up for those searching for waterproofing for straws, so I’ll say this: I’ve had bad experiences with paper straws when they get wet, and when the coating wears off they fully sag and get very delicate when touched with water. However, there are straws that are waterproof and hold up well to water.

Kevin from “Hats and Guitars” is a hat seller and maker for a long time and goes into different straws and their properties. Just for instance, Mexican Palm Straw (woven from the Mexican Fan Palm tree, Washingtonia robusta, or the “Skyduster”) is so waterproof that it is designed to be able to wear in the rain and used by American, Mexican, and South American cowboys for their work. It can be dipped in water and worn to provide cooling, and can be shaped by getting it soaking wet and tying it into a desired position.
Similarly, Hemp hats aren’t damaged by rain and are very tough. Sea grass is also known for being able to take moisture well.
If you want to wear a natural hat that will protect you from rain and sun, it is very possible and you don’t need to go to synthetics to accomplish this.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW