Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing a tie in a company that does NOT embrace ties?

JLStorm

Practically Family
I work for a very casual company. jeans and polo shirts with sneakers are about as dressy as it gets for those not in executive management positions. I usually wear a button down dress shirt, jeans, and loafers and get a few comments, but I get by. On the other hand, ties are never worn, even seeing a VP in a tie in the office is rare.

Ties are jokingly frowned upon and not worn that during large company meetings, if our directer catches you with a tie and you dont remove it, he may try to cut it off (this is a running joke with the ONE employee who wears a tie every day and gets a tie cut off every annual meeting).

I have no interest in being the center of negative attention with a tie as my fellow coworker is, however the issue is, I really like ties. I have tons of nice ties that I dress up a nice pair of jeans and loafers with. Yes, I know many of you dont like jeans with ties and thats ok, but we will have to agree to disagree on that, because I love jeans and ties.

So the question is, is there any way to get away with wearing a tie in the office without being the subject of ridicule, or should I just save the ties for client meetings?

BTW, I only go in the office about 2 - 3 times a month. I work from home the rest of the time except for once a quarter when I generally travel for a week with a client. I obviously dont wear ties at home in my office, so it would be nice to put one on when I go into our office.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Mmmmh. Hard question.

If you are going to the office just a few days a month, it will be more difficult for your coworkers to get used to it; and by what you explain, they seem to be a difficult public to begin with.

My job environment is similar to yours. Casual (really casual, jeans, cargo trousers, t-shirts, tennis shoes, etc, are pretty much the standard) is the usual attire. Even those in executive positions tend no more than to smart casual. Sports jackets are rare, suits and ties even more.

When I began to change my style to more formal I made it by increments. First I switched to button down shirts only, smarter shoes, then I introduced sports coats, later I began to wear a tie occasionally (with jeans at the beginning), dressier trousers came later, as did bowties, pocket squares, cufflinks, etc etc. It worked for me. I did it matter-of-factly, I did not made any remarks on it. Specially important, I believe, is to avoid looking down at others because they are not doing as you, and being kind if they genuinely express an interest.

If I get any comments they are either positive and apreciative, or good humoured. I am the only one who wears the every day a suit jacket or sportcoat with odd trousers, or a suit, with tie or bowtie, so receiving some flak in jest is to be expected - I do not object because it is not badly intentioned, and if I "strike back" they take it well too.

Anyway, for you I do not see any answer but to wear the ties and be done with it. They will get used eventually.

Regards!

Feraud

Bartender
Torpedo said:
Anyway, for you I do not see any answer but to wear the ties and be done with it. They will get used eventually.
Or he ends up the second guy in the office having his ties ruined...
JLStorm said:
Ties are jokingly frowned upon and not worn that during large company meetings, if our directer catches you with a tie and you dont remove it, he may try to cut it off (this is a running joke with the ONE employee who wears a tie every day and gets a tie cut off every annual meeting).

Katzenjammer

Familiar Face
When I started my current job, years ago, I made a point of wearing a tie every day...partly to appear more professional, partly to show off my collection of vintage neckwear, and partly to bring a little swingin' hipness to the environment. That was the idea, anyway.

Eventually I realized I was the one person in the building wearing a tie (apart from the front-desk concierge), and gave it up. Regrettable, but I was sticking out a bit more than I wanted to...office politics being what they are. I might as well have been wearing a kilt.

I should get back into the habit, though.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
the solution is bowtie Fridays and start wearing ascots/day cravats. People love gimmicks and let eccentrics slide. Once they get used to that, you can get away with anything.

JLStorm

Practically Family
Katzenjammer said:
Eventually I realized I was the one person in the building wearing a tie (apart from the front-desk concierge), and gave it up. Regrettable, but I was sticking out a bit more than I wanted to...office politics being what they are. I might as well have been wearing a kilt.

I should get back into the habit, though.

Ha! That is what Im afraid I'd feel like if I wore a tie. I have a lot of friends at the office, but fitting in is just not something I do well. I stick out like a sore thumb, not because of my dress, just because....I just do. Im not one that blends, as far as personality goes, so I dont want to push it over the edge. But I cant justify buying new and increasingly expensive ties if I dont wear them either. It really is a catch 22. I definitely on the fence at this point and no clue which way to go.

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Yeps said:
the solution is bowtie Fridays and start wearing ascots/day cravats. People love gimmicks and let eccentrics slide. Once they get used to that, you can get away with anything.

I doubt wearing a bowtie or cravat would 'slide' in his place of work, especially if they cant handle a necktie as it is.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
repeatclicks said:
I doubt wearing a bowtie or cravat would 'slide' in his place of work, especially if they cant handle a necktie as it is.

It is worth a try. That is how I got the people around school used to neckwear. The standard dress code here is sweat pants and a ratty tshirt.

Feraud

Bartender
Let us remember an office is a place of business and where they sign our paychecks. It is not the place to "buck the system".
You can dress however you want on your own time.

JLStorm

Practically Family
I actually am not a fan of bowties, just regular ties. I prefer paisley and stripe ties, simple colors, and 7 fold when I can find them.

Pompidou

One Too Many
Maybe if you're extra casual in every regard but the tie, and if your tie was extra casual, it'd be ok. Try this tie. I even wear it to the bar.

8bit_tie_new.jpg

It's at thinkgeek.com under clothing and then hats and ties. They won't accuse you of trying to be too high brow. Maybe you could take this guy's whole look - emo hair and all.

JLStorm

Practically Family
Pompidou said:
Maybe if you're extra casual in every regard but the tie, and if your tie was extra casual, it'd be ok. Try this tie. I even wear it to the bar.

8bit_tie_new.jpg

It's at thinkgeek.com under clothing and then hats and ties. They won't accuse you of trying to be too high brow. Maybe you could take this guy's whole look - emo hair and all.

Id rather go naked.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
JLStorm said:
ISo the question is, is there any way to get away with wearing a tie in the office without being the subject of ridicule, or should I just save the ties for client meetings?

Yes--buy the company and wear a tie when you make your appearance handing out bonuses.

Kidding aside, your superiors have made it pretty clear that your office is a tie-free zone. Your question contains its own answer.

Geesie

Practically Family
Feraud said:
Let us remember an office is a place of business and where they sign our paychecks. It is not the place to "buck the system".
You can dress however you want on your own time.

Let us remember that employment is a contract between an employer and employee concerning labor and payment under certain conditions.

If his place of business has a dress code that prohibits ties, he should probably not wear a tie. If it doesn't, his boss should probably find something better to do with his time than destroy his employees' personal property if it doesn't jive with his tastes.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
a TIE

I can't remember the lat time I saw an employee where I work wear a TIE :eek: or for that matter a customer. Even when attorney's comes in unless they just came from court. Seems like casual Mon. thru Fri. ALL the time [huh] Solid Citizen :rolleyes:

Feraud

Bartender
Geesie said:
Let us remember that employment is a contract between an employer and employee concerning labor and payment under certain conditions.

If his place of business has a dress code that prohibits ties, he should probably not wear a tie. If it doesn't, his boss should probably find something better to do with his time than destroy his employees' personal property if it doesn't jive with his tastes.
Yes employment is a two way contract.
Don't you agree based on JLStorm's initial post that neckties in his office are probably not part of the company's employment conditions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy