Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing jacket cuff buttons undone

martin576

New in Town
Is it considered vulgar to wear undone some cuff buttons on a jacket to indicate that the suit is bespoke ? Any general rule about whether it should be one or two ?

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I like to walk around with two undone now and again, though it's no indicator that the suit is bespoke. You can get jackets off the rack at Banana Republic with functional sleeve buttons. It is a nice touch and I always prefer the style... I like it when all my buttons serve a purpose.

LondonLuke

One of the Regulars
I read somewhere that it is considered ostentatious and vulgar-most OTR don't have functioning buttons-and shows off that your suit is bespoke and that you're rich. In Britain, showing off your wealth isn't the done thing. Might be allowed in the States though, you guys are a bit more showy ;)

Charlie Noodles

A-List Customer
I think I would consider it vulgar if one really was doing it just to show that it was bespoke, but I wonder how many today would even realise this?

I would not have thought about it like that. And even in my ignorance I would consider myself more well versed in these matters than the average man.

LondonLuke

One of the Regulars
Charlie Noodles said:
I think I would consider it vulgar if one really was doing it just to show that it was bespoke, but I wonder how many today would even realise this?

I would not have thought about it like that. And even in my ignorance I would consider myself more well versed in these matters than the average man.

I was out for lunch the other day, and saw a guy in a very nice suit, but he left the cuffs undone to show it was bespoke, and kept on publically fiddling with them to show it off further. I just thought what a w@nker

Micawber

A-List Customer
LondonLuke said:
I was out for lunch the other day, and saw a guy in a very nice suit, but he left the cuffs undone to show it was bespoke, and kept on publically fiddling with them to show it off further. I just thought what a w@nker

Oh yes I've seen people do that and it invariably provokes a similar emotion.

LondonLuke

One of the Regulars
What about that weird thing with designer suits-leaving the label on the wrist? Just looks stupid, and shows you paid £600+ for a designer suit when you could have gotten one equally good from M&S for a fraction of the price [huh]

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Men have been doing it for years.

Niven20David_01.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
LondonLuke said:
I'm dissapointed with you, Clark Gable (please tell me that was correct....)
Not even close.;)

To each his own on the suit cuff button business. I like the detail but do not go out of my way looking for this essentially useless item. My off the rack sport coat that has working buttons see no use.

KObalto

One of the Regulars
Feraud said:
Not even close.;)

To each his own on the suit cuff button business. I like the detail but do not go out of my way looking for this essentially useless item. My off the rack sport coat that has working buttons see no use.
Actually, I believe jackets originally had sleeve buttons so one could undo them to get the jacket on over ruffled shirt sleeves.

Feraud

Bartender
KObalto said:
Actually, I believe jackets originally had sleeve buttons so one could undo them to get the jacket on over ruffled shirt sleeves.
Yes that was probably the case. Considering no one today wears ruffled shirt sleeves that makes the functioning jacket cuff useless. That useless aspect is what I am referring to.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I have had suits with them and I find them a pain- they actually make it harder for me to slip on an overcoat. I have used them before when washing my hands while wearing a linen suit, however. Sometimes I leave the last button undone, but I rarely have all of them open. Just makes my sleeves fly around at the end.
I believe Sartorialist took a photo of a man riding a bike with his jacket sleeves and shirt sleeves slightly rolled up- it looked very nonchalant.

LondonLuke

One of the Regulars
KObalto said:

I thought it was because in the days before central heating, men would not wish to take off their jackets in the home, and if they had to do any washing up or something else, they could just roll up the sleeves?

Geesie

Practically Family
Unbuttoning the cuffs to show that it is an expensive suit is undeniably vulgar, as is doing anything for the sole purpose of displaying wealth.

Unbuttoning the cuffs because you like the way it looks is not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24