Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing Propaganda

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Quite right. The scary part is that many folks don't seem to see the obvious or even care about the ulterior motives. :(

Option C: They agree with them.

In the case of brand loyalty, they willingly buy into the branding to gain the associative "coolness" or whatever.

In the case of patriotic jingoism, they really believe my country right or wrong.

In the case of xenophobic stuff, they accept that view of others.

Etc.

carebear

Wearing Propaganda also provides an in-depth examination of the most prevalent themes and motifs in propaganda textile designs: modernity, empire, militarism, patriotism, sacrifice, heroes and leaders, slogans and song, alliances, and victory.

The designs of some textiles are overtly patriotic, nationalistic, and militaristic, others less so, but all reflect support of their country’s commitment to the military goals of the time.

My paranoia alarm starts to go off when it seems that all patriotic endeavor is implicitly associated with militarism and jingoism, or inferring that all "propaganda" is morally equivalent. That's overly simplistic and juvenile.

Art displays like this are rarely ever truly "historical", they are usually inferring a contextual similarity between then and now, whether accurate or not. The timing of such displays can be "propaganda" in and of itself.

Baggers

Practically Family
"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you." lol

Thanks, carebear. That's the exact point I was trying to make. Perhaps I'm just a bit oversensitive because of the events of the last few years, but I was simply reacting to the exact text you quoted and the examples illustrated on the web site. My concern was that they were attempting to bring patriotism and nationalism, both generally positive traits in my opinion, under the banner of propaganda, which I have always thought of in mostly negative terms.

Advertising and brand loyalty, both of which have their positives and negatives, is an entirely different subject. In the commercial marketplace it is up to each of us to make our decisions as to what we will or will not purchase based on our needs and perceived wants, and it is our responsibility as adults to weigh the options and determine for ourselves what's "steak" and what's "sizzle." Part of growing up is learning to know the difference.

Sorry to have opened a can of worms. :rolleyes:

And Nick, I've been meaning to compliment you on that avatar. Toonces, the Cat Who Could Drive a Car. lol lol lol

Cheers!

carebear

I was completely unaware that each kimono was a handcraft. That's absolutely amazing.

Given the level of artistry involved, were any kimonos named like some musical instruments and swords and the like?

Baggers said:
"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you." lol

Thanks, carebear. That's the exact point I was trying to make. Perhaps I'm just a bit oversensitive because of the events of the last few years, but I was simply reacting to the exact text you quoted and the examples illustrated on the web site. My concern was that they were attempting to bring patriotism and nationalism, both generally positive traits in my opinion, under the banner of propaganda, which I have always thought of in mostly negative terms.
Advertising and brand loyalty, both of which have their positives and negatives, is an entirely different subject. In the commercial marketplace it is up to each of us to make our decisions as to what we will or will not purchase based on our needs and perceived wants, and it is our responsibility as adults to weigh the options and determine for ourselves what's "steak" and what's "sizzle." Part of growing up is learning to know the difference.Sorry to have opened a can of worms. :rolleyes:

And Nick, I've been meaning to compliment you on that avatar. Toonces, the Cat Who Could Drive a Car. lol lol lol

Cheers!

You beat me to this answer. Very good. Thanks---particularly the bold part. :eusa_clap

Regards to all,

J

Elaina

One Too Many
LaMedicine: I LOVE that fabric! Too cute for words. When I was in Japan I used to fondle all the kimonos and material, there is nothing like them here where I am, and the details on them are often simply stunning.

Textiles for kimonos is simply amazing. Propagandist or not, to me, they're amazing feats of textile artistry.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Elaina, thank you for your compliments.
The design is called "Go Sekku" five seasonal festivals, and the patterns are symbolic of each of the 5 festivals, "Nanakusa" (Jan 7th when we eat rice gruel cooked with 7 herbs), Girls Festival, Boy's Festival, Star Festival, and Chrythanthemum Festival.

carebear said:
I was completely unaware that each kimono was a handcraft. That's absolutely amazing.

Given the level of artistry involved, were any kimonos named like some musical instruments and swords and the like?
You mean like Stradivalius?
The answer is both yes and no.

Yes in the sense that there are kimonos which were illustrated personally (and signed) by very famous artists such as Ogata Korin, who is the founder of the Rinpa school of Japanese paintings. To this day, famous Japanese artist exchange their canvas for kimonos and take up their paint brushes on rare occasions.
However, there are very few of these items that survived the wear and tear of daily life as well as disasters, both natural and man-made.
On a different level, the style of designs such as of the Rinpa school has been copied into kimonos, and those patterns have retained the origin in their names, such as Rinpa-kiku (chrythanthemums Rinpa style) and so on.

Present day kimono (and obi--the sash) craftsmen/women who not only design, but actually create their designs into kimonos themselve "sign" their products. These people oversee everything, starting with the choice of threads and dyes and weave/dye/paint/illustrate the fabrics themselves, though they may have people assisting them with some of the process. In other words, with kimonos, the designers personally create their products. Of course, these are the high end products, the haute couture of kimonos.

Basically, though, the hands of many craftsmen are involved in creating a bolt of the kimono fabric, so the manufacturers who coordinate the creations are the brand names. Some kimono manufacturers have survived the ages and date back 400-450 years. These people all have kept their pattern books, and the original cutout patterns in the case of print kimonos, so can, and do recreate designs that were made centuries ago.

There are many ways of dyeing, and many ways of weaving, which also could be called brands. The weaves (pongees, crepe etc) are often regional specialities and we recognize their names as brands.

Also, most of the patterns incoporated into kimonos have individual names, and kimono designs are often named by the pattern incorporated into the design e.g. waves and carps, clouds and cranes, etc.
There is a beautiful book written both in Japanese and English that shows the colors and patterns of kimonos called "Kimonos and the Colors of Japan" if you are interested.

(Once you get me started on kimonos, you are going to get an earful.lol lol This post is getting too long, so I'd better stop here before everyone falls asleep.:p )

carebear

No matter how esoteric the topic, one of the most interesting things in the world is to listen to (or read) someone who has a real passion for a subject talk about it.

boomerchop

One of the Regulars
carebear said:
No matter how esoteric the topic, one of the most interesting things in the world is to listen to (or read) someone who has a real passion for a subject talk about it.

Agreed, and I always enjoy LaMedicine's posts on the art and artistry of Japan.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
LaMedicine said:
(Once you get me started on kimonos, you are going to get an earful.lol lol This post is getting too long, so I'd better stop here before everyone falls asleep.:p )

I'm all ears because I love Japanese culture and art. :) If you don't mind, I will send you a link to a favorite seller of mine on ebay from Japan that deals mainly in kimonos, as I would like to hear your thoughts on them.

Matthew Dalton

A-List Customer
I think I recall a character in Crime and Punishment describing propaganda as a positive thing, something that all people should circulate. Merely informing others of the positives of his political party.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Why, gentlemen, thank you so much.

Maybe, I should start a kimono thread?:)
It's going to be a bit difficult to explain without illustrations, so I need to start taking pics of the things I have, and scanning in stuff that I don't have.:rolleyes:
Hmmmm, maybe I should give a kimono lecture on the QM one day?:D

Major Nick, yes, please feel free to PM me the link, I'll be happy to oblige you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran