Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Well its official...

rebelgtp

One of the Regulars
Well its official, I am now a college student yet again. I just received my acceptance letter EOU. As I have mentioned before I have recently moved from Portland out to Eastern Oregon. Basically I was dead tired of sitting at a desk day in and day out helping people with their computers and going slowly insane. A couple years ago I received my certification as a conservation detection dog handler, yet I've never done much with it. So after getting passed over for a promotion at work I decided that was it I'm heading back to school.

I have quite a bit of family out here and currently I'm staying at my Mom's place helping her out while I wait for school to start. I was accepted into the Biology program at the University and I'm thinking I am going to get a second major in Anthropology. I'm transferring in with about a years worth of valid credits already under my belt so that is going to help.

It will be weird going back to school at 27 but better then going back later on and at least I will be doing field work not sitting at a desk all day once I'm out. Guess it kinda helps that I already have a job in the field I want to work in huh? Anyway thats the big news from this side. So I better get my stuff done for the display window I'm setting up because in a little over a month I'm going to be busy with classes.

Sertsa

One of the Regulars
Congrats! I had to leave college early for various reasons--mostly financial--at one time, then went back. I was worried about being a bit older, as well (mid-late 20s), but it turned out to be one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I kept working full time while getting a BA degree, but I then stayed on and took an assistantship for my MA.

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
Congrats!! I'm 28 yo and I'm still a student!! I just want to tell you that it's totally possible to begin a student life again!! All the day I'm with younger people, and sometimes it can be hard!! But it worth it!! I wish you all the best!! (God, my english is very french lol!! sorry about that!!)

Camille

Familiar Face
Congrats! I'm 28 and heading back to university this spring too!

Alot of people in their 30's go to college in Sweden, though. Nothing odd there, I think! When you're older, at least you're more sure of what you want to do with your life than right after you quit high school.

rebelgtp

One of the Regulars
Thank you all. It will be odd going back but yes I think very doable. This winter term I think I am just going to do distance ed classes so I don't have to fight the mountain pass all winter. The nice thing is I'm not going to have to work full time while I'm going back to school thanks to some help I'm getting from family and my side business I have going. I tried working full time and going to school full time before and it just drove me nuts and the school work suffered. So for the next couple years my "job" will be school, especially since I'm thinking of going for a double major for my BA.

One of the things they are requiring is that I take a 2 years worth of a foreign language considering in high school Y never did 2 years of the same language. However I have taken french, german, russian and japanese [huh] . There is a test out option for that sI to I may just do some independent study for that and take the test in one of the languages I've already started.

Oh and Pennycarrol no apologies necessary my french was terrible when I was taking it, however it is a language I would eventually like to pickup again.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I went back to school and got my graduate degree when I was 27 - after I got married and had my daughter. I absolutely loved it. I was so much more focused than when I went to undergrad school.

Have fun and best wishes!

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Congratulations. I didn't begin college until 21; though I felt considerably older,
and hung around campus far longer than I had expected. Have fun! :)

Ugarte

A-List Customer
Second time around

In the interest of full disclosure, I put myself through four years of junior college playing bass in the jazz band and then eventually went on to gather up a BS and MA by the time I was 30.

I'm going back to school for teacher certification -- or something like that.

M.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
I spent eight years at a two-year college and never granulated. (Algebra! UGH!) But in my defense, I spent the last six of those years taking mostly photography courses so that I could use the studio and lab! :rolleyes:

Lee

Ugarte

A-List Customer
MrNewportCustom said:
I spent eight years at a two-year college and never granulated. (Algebra! UGH!) But in my defense, I spent the last six of those years taking mostly photography courses so that I could use the studio and lab! :rolleyes:

I feel you Lee. I also enjoyed photography classes back to my senior year in HS when I quit playing football. The juco had a pretty decent lab, but Music Theory homework took up the bulk of my time.

I didn't granulate from NMJC either, but I did bundle up some great memories and all the fine arts credits I'd ever need.

M.

rebelgtp

One of the Regulars
i would love to do some photography i'm just stretched to thin as it is with what i'm planning to do.

oh here is a little bit of fun that has me going nuts. i got accepted last week, i have to talk to my adviser before i can register. i call her last week, she is going to be out thursday and friday, ok so i left a message. yesterday i still haven't gotten a call by after lunch, i call her again and get a message she is going to be out until NEXT monday. :rage: ...registration opened the beginning of the month now it will be a month in before i can register *starts beating my head against the wall*

Ugarte

A-List Customer
Don't feel too badly. I was ready to go this semester, but there was this little matter of a trip to Florida that was well, scheduled a little unfortunately shall we say. :rolleyes:

Gotta' get on the stick. <sigh>

Mark.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GilbertHit