Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

On my head...

First the Resistol Stagecoach Gus crease with the Oh No string firmly attached...
resistolsc.jpg

The Oreana OR, can't make a serious face with this fun crease in a hat...
oreana.jpg

carter said:
Oh Yeah, gtd! Sweet crease! That OR has a chracter all it's own. I really want to see that one on yer noggin.
Thanks Carter. Photo right above your post is me in it & also in What are you wearing today thread...
I'm training for a late life career change. Need to move on to sweatband replacement & edge binding, got about 10 years to get it bucked out!;)

Inusuit

A-List Customer
Nice bashes...

JimmytheLid, I really like the bash on your Stetson. I have something similar on an OR. gtd, great Oreana crease!

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
I may have shown this here before...

This is just about the ultimate hat, as far as I'm concerned. This is a 5x Bailey that I got on ebay for like $40. It was virtually brand new. Had a horrible cattleman type crease. I "blocked" it out (filled it with water and set it upside down in the bathtub), then reshaped it with a diamond-type crease, and reworked the brim, putting as much "snap" into it as I was able using my fingers. This hat works as either "western" or "fedora"...looks like I just stepped off the set of a 1948 western movie.

Bailey4.jpg

Work5.jpg

Work1.jpg

Don't have the mustache right now...

carter

I'll Lock Up
gtdean48 said:
Nice one FD, need to put that in Conversion Corral definitely! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
:arated: Knowing how stiff a western felt can be, that one was a lot more work than is apparent. Nice job.

Here's the 4X Stetson western I posted previously saying I was going to reblock it.

Before
3291367032_f73f868771.jpg

After
3301057200_8039f4cc71.jpg
3301055510_ff1575d7fd.jpg

3301058640_3c2dc88e4d.jpg
3301107414_f05b6d199a.jpg

I may never be done with this one.

Justdog

Practically Family
carter said:
:arated: Knowing how stiff a western felt can be, that one was a lot more work than is apparent. Nice job.

Here's the 4X Stetson western I posted previously saying I was going to reblock it.

Before
3301107414_f05b6d199a.jpg

I may never be done with this one.

Love the profile of that roll.:eusa_clap Course it helps that you look good wearing it

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
This is gonna be fun, digging through old (and some not so old) pictures.

First, this Bailey that I bought at a place in NYC called Whiskey Dust. It was filled with mostly old, used Western gear, not the modern city country line dancing stuff we see nowadays. The place reeked of authenticity.

When I saw this hat, I was immediately taken with it. It was a huge brown Bailey with a grograin ribbon, and a stovepipe bash. The hat was already in very used condition. The only thing on the sweat band is 'New West from Bailey.' I dont even know if its wool or fur.

The only thing that made me hesitate was that it is a 7 1/8 - two sizes smaller than my usual 7 3/8. But I was able to squeeze it onto my head so I figured I could stretch it a bit to make it fit.

What followed was a cutting of the rear sweatband stitching, and the removal and extension of the ribbon. This was my first attempt at making a bow, and it didnt come out too bad. You can see by the discoloration how much the hat was stretched to fit my head.

I had put a Gus crease into it but I didnt like the way it looked on me. So just this past weekend, I started all over again, and did my favorite bash - a tight fedora pinch with a C-shaped crown. I'm finally very happy with it:

0309091728.jpg

The next two are from about 10 years ago. As a 40th birthday present, we spent a week at a working cattle ranch in Wyoming. Although I do ride, I dont get to often. I spent 7 days on a horse when I wasnt eating, sleeping, or relieving myself, and I loved every second of it. Both hats are Shady Bradys. The straw one is long gone, a victim of constant wear. I've since replaced it with another one.

portrait.jpg

portrait3.jpg

It's late so I'll post some of my others at another time.

kokopelli

One of the Regulars
Rand

The Rand is very nice.. Ron

Spencer said:
Here is my summer work hat.
home_0014.jpg

home_0024.jpg

A Sunbody, boy I really like it.

Here is my winter work/camping/hiking/hunting hat, this is an Outback Hat.
home_0065.jpg

home_007.jpg

Here is my newest, it just arrived. A custom by Rand Hat's in Montana

Boy, I really like this hat a lot!!!
home_0045.jpg

home_0053.jpg

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Love the Shady Bradys, scottyrocks!

Sounds like the ranch was a great trip. Is it still an operating guest ranch?

I spent a week at the Grapevine Canyon Ranch, in Arizona. I loved it. It's an operating ranch, but my girlfriend wouldn't take the "lope test," so we couldn't go out with the cowboys. We did the all day rides. Still had about 4 -5 hours in the saddle every day. Great riding over the land that Cochise walked. Some of the trails were actually part of the old Butterfield Overland Stage route. When we weren't riding, the ranch itself was basically a vacation resort. We had our own "casita" and had great meals every night.

I'd love to do a pack trip someday, where you picket the horses, and sleep under the stars, in the desert every night. Or maybe somewhere in the Rockies. Colorado, Wyoming, or Montana.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I think its still in existence. Its called Brush Creek Ranch. We researched a bunch of places and decided on with this one because we were assured it wasnt gonna be just nose-to-tail.

As it turmed out, after a couple of days, the hands let me take 3 other guests and retrieve some strays by ourselves. That was one of the highlights of the trip for me. Geometry can be quite useful when trying to move large unpredictable animals where you want them to go. :)

The skies out there were always breathtaking - nothing like where I live. On the last morning, we went on a sunrise ride, and I saw a rainbow that went from one end of the sky to the other. I was breathless. I have a not so wonderful picture of me and the rainbow on my other computer. I'll post it when I get home. I' love to go back. Maybe someday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn