Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

Mustang Mike's Hats

A-List Customer
I was assisting a friend at a Gymkhana competition this past weekend and thought it a good idea to market some of my custom hats while I was there. Here are the hats I displayed for any interested parties.

Hat_Display (1).jpg

Latigo

Familiar Face
Ok, not too long ago I posted about brim width and how you like the brim rolled. @Michael R. pointed out and rightfully so that brim width is measured from the crown out to the edge of the brim. Well I guess I didn't get my point across very well. What I want to get at is that overall it makes a Big difference in how you like to roll your brim as to the overall width of the hat. In other words it does make a big difference in how big or small the hat looks on you. Compare the OVERALL width of the hat to your head size and more importantly (At least to me) to the width of your shoulders. Now I know this is all relative to what your personal likes and styles are. But what say you...? I say that if you get carried away with too wide a brim with not enough roll to match you're likely to look like a walking thumb tack! Now don't get a burr under your saddle just yet! It all depends on your build and hat and what your going for and I know everybody is different but did you ever think about it?..... Here's a picture of Matt Damon (sp) wearing a hat, must be about a 4 inch brim but it don't look it because of the way its brim is rolled, it looks smaller overall because of it. I think this roll is pretty darn classic looking. Second pic looks a little different, even more curl almost a roll over....

mdhat1snap.jpg
mdhat2snap.jpg
mdhat3snap.jpg

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Yeah , I know I like the roll to start at the outside edge of my eyes . My shoulders are pretty wide , so I don't worry about the thumb tack thing . It does seem the crown height , and the crease effect the roll to some extent . Most Hats I have that are 3 1/2" Brims I wear with less roll , and 4" Brims more . I have 2 Shantung Hats with different creases and rolls , both are 4 1/4" Brims . A Hat needs to fit your face , eye width , build , etc. . I think it would be tough to get one right without something to go by more than just I want that Hat with this look . Its going to need tweaking more than likely .

Latigo

Familiar Face
@Mustang Mike's Hats Yeah I can see where that would be tough to do, you do know what I'm talking about though and need to be I would think being in the business and all. Maybe you could post some customs that you've done and give a little narrative as to why and what the customer wanted as to how the hat turned out?

@Michael R. That's they way I do my hats too. I try to keep the overall width the same or close. Depends on the hat and style. I roll the wider brims up more than the shorter ones. I think I've said it before that I like to use a lot of rocker or dip to the brim and the wider the brim the less rocker I can use or it just doesn't look right to me.

You ever notice that some folks can wear just about any hat and still look good. Wish I was like that, some folks are just made for it I guess........:)

Latigo

AlexTheApache

Familiar Face
Yeah , I know I like the roll to start at the outside edge of my eyes . My shoulders are pretty wide , so I don't worry about the thumb tack thing . It does seem the crown height , and the crease effect the roll to some extent . Most Hats I have that are 3 1/2" Brims I wear with less roll , and 4" Brims more . I have 2 Shantung Hats with different creases and rolls , both are 4 1/4" Brims . A Hat needs to fit your face , eye width , build , etc. . I think it would be tough to get one right without something to go by more than just I want that Hat with this look . Its going to need tweaking more than likely .

My crown creases depend on the brim width immensely. I like a very square and wide front, this is because I like the looks and on my working hats it keeps my ears from getting toasted. 4" and above is just as wide as my ears but 3.5" and 3.75" I usually go with a very wide from as shown on this grizzly here. I do have a 3.5" that has a square brim with the side turned up but it's mostly an exemption. Scott down at Catalena Hatters shaped it for me and it's a shape I paid for so I tend to leave it that way, as my steam skills get better I feel more comfortable reshaping hats that have been worked on by someone better than me.
ba502b8f200ec98b1ead55c077f35390.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like what has become known as the Old West style. My favorite crease is probably the Tom Horn. The brims I prefer usually fall in the range of 3-1/4" to 4" wide. I want my brims to be fairly flat with maybe just a bit of swoop in the front. I don't want much if any packer draw in the front or back, & not much fender roll on the sides.

Ritch Rand all natural beaver
IMG_3987.jpg

Stetson
IMG_4069.jpg

Kevin O'Farrell
IMG_0169.jpg

Ritch Rand
IMG_7706.jpg

These two Rand's are favorites & have as much fender roll as I ever want:

Ritch Rand
IMG_4216.jpg

Ritch Rand
IMG_1067.jpg

I also really like what I call the Old West gentleman's dress hat for special occasions. Most will have brims that are fairly flat with a small kettle curl:

Ritch Rand (charcoal)
IMG_0202.jpg

Worth - Walden
IMG_8366.jpg

Worth - Walden
IMG_8570.jpg

Texas Hat Co.
IMG_8661.jpg

Akubra Woomera
IMG_9709.jpg

Ritch Rand
IMG_5978.jpg

Akubra Woomera
IMG_7098.jpg

Great topic for a post, Latigo!

Mustang Mike's Hats

A-List Customer
I like what has become known as the Old West style. My favorite crease is probably the Tom Horn. The brims I prefer usually fall in the range of 3-1/4" to 4" wide. I want my brims to be fairly flat with maybe just a bit of swoop in the front. I don't want much if any packer draw in the front or back, & not much fender roll on the sides.

IMG_3987.jpg

Stetson
IMG_4069.jpg

Kevin O'Farrell
IMG_0169.jpg

Ritch Rand
IMG_7706.jpg

Ritch Rand
IMG_4216.jpg

Ritch Rand
IMG_1067.jpg

I also really like what I call the Old West gentleman's dress hat for special occasions. Most will have brims that are fairly flat with a small kettle curl:

Ritch Rand (charcoal)
IMG_0202.jpg

Worth - Walden
IMG_8366.jpg

Worth - Walden
IMG_8570.jpg

Texas Hat Co.
IMG_8661.jpg

Akubra Woomera
IMG_9709.jpg

Ritch Rand
IMG_5978.jpg

Akubra Woomera
IMG_7098.jpg

Now THAT collection deserves a bump! I'll get the rest of my hats posted on this thread as soon as I can get the honey-dos out of the way. I do have a few posted up higher on the thread but are more to come.

IMG_3987.jpg

Stetson
IMG_4069.jpg

Kevin O'Farrell
IMG_0169.jpg

Ritch Rand
IMG_7706.jpg

Ritch Rand
IMG_4216.jpg

Ritch Rand
IMG_1067.jpg

Ritch Rand (charcoal)
IMG_0202.jpg

Worth - Walden
IMG_8366.jpg

Worth - Walden
IMG_8570.jpg

Texas Hat Co.
IMG_8661.jpg

Akubra Woomera
IMG_9709.jpg

Ritch Rand
IMG_5978.jpg

Akubra Woomera
IMG_7098.jpg

I can't pick a favorite, Jack. Stupendous collection!!! All those Rands ROCK!!
Is that a Fairbanks postal scale behind the Kevin O'Farrell?

IMG_3987.jpg

Stetson
IMG_4069.jpg

Kevin O'Farrell
IMG_0169.jpg

Ritch Rand
IMG_7706.jpg

Ritch Rand
IMG_4216.jpg

Ritch Rand
IMG_1067.jpg

Ritch Rand (charcoal)
IMG_0202.jpg

Worth - Walden
IMG_8366.jpg

Worth - Walden
IMG_8570.jpg

Texas Hat Co.
IMG_8661.jpg

Akubra Woomera
IMG_9709.jpg

Ritch Rand
IMG_5978.jpg

Akubra Woomera
IMG_7098.jpg

Outstanding! Causing me some serious envy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner