Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Whenever i see hat’s this unique, this distinctive, it always makes me wonder who the guy was that wore it back in the 30’s, 40’s, 50’s and before.
What was his so called station in life, his daily endeavors, circle of friends.
I guess that’s a big part of the allure of hat collecting. Finding the ones that stood out back then and still today. Least for me it is.
This one does then…and now.
Just a thought.
B

Whenever i see hat’s this unique, this distinctive, it always makes me wonder who the guy was that wore it back in the 30’s, 40’s, 50’s and before.
What was his so called station in life, his daily endeavors, circle of friends.
I guess that’s a big part of the allure of hat collecting. Finding the ones that stood out back then and still today. Least for me it is.
This one does then…and now.
Just a thought.
B
Thanks, B. This hat certainly brings about those thoughts. I've been able to find some similar models in old Miller catalogs, not exactly as there's always a little difference in crown height or brim width but the hat was likely produced in the mid 30's. It's got some obvious wear but not hard. The silk brim binding on these old hats can be delicate and scuffed but this one's intact. There's a little wear to the sweat and a couple of stitches we're popped in the front of the sweat. Judging by the wear it's from tugging the hat on and off but that's it, no signs of wear on the felt outside of what the moth babies did to it in storage.

So yeah, who in the mid 30's would purchase such a hat and how was it used. You know he wore boots. If you can find it, there's one in the old catalogs like this only the entire underside of the brim was bound in silk, as a tux hat is. I believe it was called the Showman.

Last edited:

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, B. This hat certainly brings about those thoughts. I've been able to find some similar models in old Miller catalogs, not exactly as there's always a little difference in crown height or brim width but the hat was likely produced in the mid 30's. It's got some obvious wear but not hard. The silk brim binding on these old hats can be delicate and scuffed but this one's intact. There's a little wear to the sweat and a couple of stitches we're popped in the front of the sweat. Judging by the wear it's from tugging the hat on and off but that's it, no signs of wear on the felt outside of what the moth babies did to it in storage.

So yeah, who in the mid 30's would purchase such a hat and how was it used. You know he wore boots. If you can find it, there's one in the old catalogs like this only the entire underside of the brim was bound in silk, as a tux hat is. I believe it was called the Showman.
Very cool, Greg.
I love it….”You know he wore boots”.
Kinda says it all right there ya know.
B

VoodooSan

A-List Customer
Nothing special today, just the straw I reserve strictly for yard work/gardening. A Resistol Jason Aldean Georgia Boy.

Resistol Jason Aldean Georgia Boy 1.jpg
Resistol Jason Aldean Georgia Boy 2.jpg

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Nothing at all special about today's wear; just a beater Rodeo King 3X wool that I snagged for a song. It's hard to be certain after 50+ years of buying, selling, and wearing, westerns, but I think this is the first brick crown I've ever had, so there's that! View attachment 604704 View attachment 604705
Funny how "nothing at all special" hats can still look good, Mark. The brick crown draws the eye to it, and the ribbon certainly adds to the overall appeal. A fine beater indeed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner