Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Thought I'd try something a little different before going to dinner with my wife this weekend. The hat is a sand colored Montana Peaks Hats custom with a Gus crease and slight Packer flange.

021cex.jpg

But thought I'd better change the suit.

027cx.jpg

Kept the new suit and instead donned my Stetson Royal Deluxe OR.

(old pic below)

0033copy.jpg

Brian Niebuhr

One of the Regulars
Hello everyone. I am new to the lounge. Thought I might fit in on this thread. A lot of my hats have an old west style to them. Some are borderline hillbilly though due to wear. (still look good to me!) I've really enjoyed the hats I've seen here and the info shared. Hope to post some pics of my own soon. So glad to have found some fellow hat lovers. My friends just dont get it!

H Weinstein

One of the Regulars
Hello everyone. I am new to the lounge. Thought I might fit in on this thread. A lot of my hats have an old west style to them. Some are borderline hillbilly though due to wear. (still look good to me!) I've really enjoyed the hats I've seen here and the info shared. Hope to post some pics of my own soon. So glad to have found some fellow hat lovers. My friends just dont get it!

Well, if everyone wore hats, then we'd just be part of the crowd. Sometimes it's nice to be a little bit different :)
Please do post some pics of yours. Worn hats have character!

But this really is a great place to learn all about hats of all kinds. I stumbled on the Lounge a couple of years ago totally by accident while seeking info on how to re-shape a pre-made western hat. I not only learned how to do that, but learned all about fur-felt hats and got introduced to the Akubra brand.

Now I've got 6 or 7 western hats, all custom shaped just the way I want 'em with my own little hands. So, thanks to the Lounge and all the nice, helpful folks who hang out here, hats have become something of a craft hobby for me as well as things to wear on my head.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up

Hi, neighbor! Welcome to the lounge.

Newly acquired Stockman Special... Eastwood voice: "Get off my linens..."

032xtp.jpg

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I have no idea if this looks a whole lot different, but it definitely feels and smells cleaner, and has a nice fresh shape. Plus the only slightly deteriorating sweatband cracked through in two places is now securely sewn in. (Stetson Nutria Quality)

004mo.jpg

Brian Niebuhr

One of the Regulars
Great looking hat! Nice outdoor pic. Shows that character! Ive never handled a nutria quallity before. Bid on a couple on the bay a few years ago but never got one. Some day though.

Disciple

New in Town
Outback Trading "Grizzly" oilskin. It arrived with a flat, three-inch brim. It took me 30 minutes to put a symmetrical Western upcurl on it. It looks black, but it is brown.

000_0006-3.jpg

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I love the Outback Trading products, though I've never seen one of their hats in person. I wonder what kinda weather they're best suited for.

Disciple

New in Town
I love the Outback Trading products, though I've never seen one of their hats in person. I wonder what kinda weather they're best suited for.

They are great in rain and snow. I wear this one in fall and winter. They need to be reproofed every so often if you wear (or just handle) them regularly. They also get fuzzy after a while, from all the handling. But for 40.00 USD I can't complain! I have a "Badlands" style also, and another Grizzly for when this one wears out. They look amazing with a Carhartt jacket.

Last edited:

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

What ever you do, DO NOT buy the oil stuff and put more on it. It will become a big oily limp thing. Don't ask me how I know... :eeek:

This was the first hat I ever disposed of because I couldn't wear it anymore.

More is not always better...

Disciple

New in Town
Yes, the reproofing cream should only be used when the hat dries out, and in moderation. It helps if you melt the wax first and apply with a small paintbrush - then blast it with a hairdryer. I spritz it with hat stiffener before I apply the wax.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran