Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

Renault

One Too Many
The fact that my budget when stratospheric again, Jack Daniel's is becoming rare around here, a western ruined by bowlerman and frussell trimming westerns and calling them a collection.

Might be but I don't like it. It looks weird.

I do like to see used and somehow abused westerns (as long it doesn't have holes or too much brim damage), that is why my Resistol diamond horseshoe is dirty, I know it was used on ranch work and only brushed it. At least it doesn't look fake as the painted ones sold by Resistol/Stetson (like the new John Wayne hat).

Nice ones. Show me the others you use.
Wish I could inherit westerns...

Next time oldest son is over I'll get a photo of his "work" hat! LOL. He still ranches on the side. Matter of fact he's out doctoring on his bull today. His hat is pretty gungy! Noticed a big hole worn in brim when he was here last night for our family shindig and carnivore fest!

Renault

One Too Many
Left to right

Resistol 7X new hat I picked up at junk shop for $30!

Akubra Bushman. Everyday hat. Love the weight and the material.

American Hat co. Houston Tx. My pasture and fence building hat another ancient hat. Least 40!

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Renault, you need to send a picture of the American Hat Co. one to American Hat company. They'll love it. Mike Moore ordered me one of their straws. It's in Illinois, but I haven't seen it yet. My Mom says it looks good though. Cool Hand Luke crown with a 4 inch plus brim.

Later

Renault

One Too Many
Mike I picked up that hat at a Salvation Army store years ago for like 2 bucks. Reason I knew its age was the sweat band was marked "Austin Army & Navy Store"! It was down on Congress ave. downtown, between, I think, 4th & 5th sts on west side. I think they finally shut down about 1973 or 74. About the time the weirdness was starting up. Their radio commercial boasted "come down and see the worlds largest pair of Levi's!"
( think they were next to the worlds largest ball of twine! LOL!).

Another part of old time Austin when all the old stores were on Congress ave, that is no more.

John Galt

Vendor
Sorry to hear about the budget problems Joao. At least your Portagee hatter isn't charging you for the ribbon work ;-).

John Galt

Vendor
I'm still doing a pre-pro word of mouth pricing model, so it probably wouldn't have too been much anyway by comparison to the professional hatters among us, but given the shipping and your affliction/affection for wide brims, it somehow didn't seem fair ;-).

Also, I'm 1/4 Portuguese myself, and you are my first international customer.

"Faint hat never won fair lady"

fedoracentric

Banned
It's funny, I wear a fedora all over Milwaukee, Racine and when I get down into Chicago and I think that is no big deal. Others think it is "brave" to wear one. Yet, to me, I wouldn't be "brave" enough to wear a cowboy hat around here, at least not the really wide brimmed ones with the really tall crowns. Maybe something Open Road-like, but not the bigguns. Even as a kid I couldn't see myself in a western. But I also love the look of them.

Maybe if I lived in Colorado, or Alabama, or Texas or something?

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I'm still doing a pre-pro word of mouth pricing model, so it probably wouldn't have too been much anyway by comparison to the professional hatters among us, but given the shipping and your affliction/affection for wide brims, it somehow didn't seem fair ;-).
Thank you again.

Also, I'm 1/4 Portuguese myself, and you are my first international customer.
;)

It's funny, I wear a fedora all over Milwaukee, Racine and when I get down into Chicago and I think that is no big deal. Others think it is "brave" to wear one. Yet, to me, I wouldn't be "brave" enough to wear a cowboy hat around here, at least not the really wide brimmed ones with the really tall crowns. Maybe something Open Road-like, but not the bigguns. Even as a kid I couldn't see myself in a western. But I also love the look of them.

Well I don't know. Here most use a tribly or a cap. When I appear with my hats, everyone looks at me. It it were in Texas, probably no one would care.

John Galt

Vendor
I get that look even here in far Northern California, much of which is still cattle, forest & other agricultural country. I like to wear a cattle baron or real cowboy hat with a suit. Then, change to a different cowboy hat or a fedora 1/2 way through the day or when on an errand out of the office. The look changes. A lot of what they see is the hat, and it makes a disproportionate impression in today's society.

May be.
I live in the Birmingham, they are probably less common here than other parts of the state, but still you see them often enough that they don't merit a second glance. Especially in summertime, you see a lot more wide brimmed straw hats of all types.
Your post caught my interest because you mentioned an Open Road. I have an OR and of all my hats, western or fedora, it's the one that seems to stick out most. "Where'd you get that little-bitty cowboy hat?" is what I hear most. A bigger brimmed western or a fedora rarely ever draws any attention whatsoever.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Your post caught my interest because you mentioned an Open Road. I have an OR and of all my hats, western or fedora, it's the one that seems to stick out most. "Where'd you get that little-bitty cowboy hat?" is what I hear most. A bigger brimmed western or a fedora rarely ever draws any attention whatsoever.

Love that expression. lol

Joe Rotax

Familiar Face

Funny how it goes. I would never feel right wearing a fedora - just no way...lol I have an Open Road straw that I've never worn and probably never will. Stetson Range works best for me weather in a business suit or jeans and t-shirt. I have other westerns with wider brims but the Range suits me even though I'm big enough that a 4" brim no problem. As for location, I don't really care, I just wear what I want to and these hats look right for me wherever I go but no way a fedora would work.

suitedcboy

One Too Many
John Galt: you posted, " I like to wear a cattle baron or real cowboy hat with a suit. "
What are you using "cattle baron" to refer to? Cattle Baron is a Resistol western 100X hat for 30 years or so but I'm thinking that is not what you mean.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Funny how it goes. I would never feel right wearing a fedora - just no way...lol I have an Open Road straw that I've never worn and probably never will. Stetson Range works best for me weather in a business suit or jeans and t-shirt. I have other westerns with wider brims but the Range suits me even though I'm big enough that a 4" brim no problem. As for location, I don't really care, I just wear what I want to and these hats look right for me wherever I go but no way a fedora would work.

Can we see your Stetson Range?

John Galt

Vendor
John Galt: you posted, " I like to wear a cattle baron or real cowboy hat with a suit. "
What are you using "cattle baron" to refer to? Cattle Baron is a Resistol western 100X hat for 30 years or so but I'm thinking that is not what you mean.

Well, I meant to refer to a cow-boss type hat like the OR - a shorter brimmed cowboy hat.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
You wouldn't like it. It only has a 3" brim :)

Very similar to an Open Road but has a higher crown, raw edge and a western two cord ribbon.
I have no problem with short brims, but prefer the wider ones ;)

I'm nekkid without a hat. Worn one just about all my life!
Since I've started to wear cowboy hats, I feel the same. If I get out of my house without a hat, I immediately return and get one.

Well, I meant to refer to a cow-boss type hat like the OR - a shorter brimmed cowboy hat.
I wear my westerns with a suit. Just look at my avatar :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24