Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Joao, I saw this one on Buckaroos facebook page.
Now this is a wide brim.
Thank you for remembering me. ;)

5" wide brim, wide squared off front, sharp turned up sides, we are getting alot of rodeo guys buying this type hats, they are hard to do, because they want the back, round off and turned up in the rear.
I personally don't like that brim crease. The hat looks nice.

Always wore black hat when I worked. Didn't show dirt as bad. Still have this hat.
Cool pic.

Btw, I was dressed just like this when we got off the plane in Glasgow in 96, visiting friends. One thing I can say about Scotland, it would be as big as Texas if it was laid out flat! Prolly most beautiful place I ever been.
Scotland have something... I also like Scotland. Have you gone to the highlands ou just been in Glasgow?

I threw on my Resistol Stagecoach while it was still cool enough to wear it this a.m. I reshaped the crown on this to a Center Dent and sewed on this vintage ribbon with a double pointed western style bow...sorry about the poor picture quality...
The brim on your head looks smaller. I like your bow (I have said that several times).

It's just a cheaper fur felt hat from a western store in Ft. Worth. Not a bad hat, just not top shelf. Was a good working hat. Taken lots of abuse. Several calves happened to step in the middle of it. It recovered pretty well. Don't wear it no more as it needs a new sweat band.
Maybe John Galt can replace it for you?

Me in one of those "old time" photos. My wife finally wore me down. :p
Did you noticed what hat was it?

Renault

One Too Many
Joao, been from the Borders all the way up to Skye. And some spots in between!!!

Yeah, I have several hats I should send to someone. Just finding the motivation to do it! :D

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Me in one of those "old time" photos. My wife finally wore me down. :p

uhyvaman.jpg

Hey Harv, I see your wife, and I see your little boy. But who's that Monkey standing next to your wife? ;) Nice pic of you and the family.

Joao, the brim's still at 4 inches. I haven't cut it down ;)

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Joao, been from the Borders all the way up to Skye. And some spots in between!!!
Skye... I can say I miss Skye, been there 3 times. A mandatory place to visit every time I went to Scotland. Last time I was there we had a rental car and drove to the north of the isle. We crossed on a little car ferry to Skye and exited by the bridge. Been in Inverness, Aberdeen, Perth, Edinburg, Lock Ness, Aviemore...

Yeah, I have several hats I should send to someone. Just finding the motivation to do it! :D
If you want to wear them again, than I think it is quite motivating to send them to someone to fix.

Joao, the brim's still at 4 inches. I haven't cut it down ;)
I believe you didn't but still it looks smaller on your head. Maybe it's the perspective.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I believe you didn't but still it looks smaller on your head. Maybe it's the perspective.

Yup...that, and poor picture quality. That's not to say that I may not decide to trim it down later on though if I use it for a conversion project. For now, I'm planning to have it just reblocked to a straight sided crown and make an "Indy" / Western Hybrid out of it. I'm one of those who actually like the Indiana Jones fedoras, and Westerns too. This would be a good compromise for me. The crown shape and crease would be "Indy" and the brim and ribbon work would be Western. Best of both for me! ;)

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Well I can't stop you and it's your hat.

I dunno, I'm leaning toward keeping the brim at 4 inches. I like the shape of the brim and I like the color of the hat. The felt quality is really nice and durable too. Perfect for Fall Camping and Hiking excursions. I think it would make for a nice "Indy / Western Hybrid" that I'm picturing.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I got this hat and tried to research about it but almost nothing came out and "Resistol Hats" on facebook was not very helpful only telling me it was a hat made between 1970 and 1972. Don't know the relation this hat might have with the "Resistol 20" ORs, if it is the same felt or not.
The seller told me it had a 3.5" brim but in ended to be a stingy (phun intended you know ;)) 3" brim. I do like the Fort Worth crease, like the color, the felt feels really nice (almost like the 7XCB), fit's nice in the head but that 3" brim...
This is a Resistol BR Westerns "20".
brw01.jpg

More pictures of it in the Resistol Roundup thread.

John Galt

Vendor
Well, Joao, I am also a fan of this model, but can only state the (somewhat) obvious: "BR" stands for Byer-Rolnick, the name of Resistol's parent company and of its (then) owners.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Well, Joao, I am also a fan of this model, but can only state the (somewhat) obvious: "BR" stands for Byer-Rolnick, the name of Resistol's parent company and of its (then) owners.
Yes, that is obvious. As it still have the price tag, the "20" must be from $20.

Thank you kokopelli!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy