Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

M Brown

A-List Customer
Well, being born and raised in Texas, I have several Western style hats. My favorite is a Rand.
Rand Hat.jpg

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
A new-to-me Byer-Rolnick Resistol ventilated straw Sage & Sand model with a 3 inch brim and a 3/16 ribbon. There is a production tag under the sweat but the only thing stamped on it is the price; $5.95. The crown (and perhaps the whole hat) was machine pressed. This thing is as light as a feather. I'm sure it is 1/3 the weight of a comparable modern Stetson or Resistol. I can tell little difference in weight between this one and my modern Stetson Centerdent panama, it hardly weighs a thing. The sweat is in great shape and very supple. It just needs a little sponge bath and it will be as good as new. I know it is not that old but I'm really not up on Resistols and if any of you knowledgeable loungers might offer an opinion on age, I'd appreciate the input.

Saddle up, partner!

Res2.jpg Res3.jpg Res4.jpg Res5.jpg Res6.jpg Res7.jpg Res8.jpg Res9.jpg Res10.jpg Res11.jpg

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Thank you, sir. This one is just about as stiff as a modern hat with whatever coating or shellac they put on them but it is a real surprise to pick it up and find it is such a light hat.

I don't know bee $#!+ from wild honey about these things but it appears to be a real straw to my eyes though hard to say from here. Sweat looks great and at that price, I'd guess pretty early in the 60's. Great hat. I'm on the hunt for a ventilated one.

Thank you, sir. This one is just about as stiff as a modern hat with whatever coating or shellac they put on them but it is a real surprise to pick it up and find it is such a light hat.

The sweat looking to be of decent quality and you speaking of the "lightness" and the price is what led me to throw out the estimate I did. I skipped on a J C Penney real straw awhile back that was very similar to yours and wish I hadn't. Does that one have a wired brim?

M Brown

A-List Customer
Very nice hat, M Brown! I was born in Andrews, and my folks were from Brownfield.

I know that part of Texas well.

Welcome to the forum! I'm a fan too. I have 6 & bought my first Rand in 1987 I think. I really hate to see Ritch sell out & retire.

I'm expecting my 4th to arrive tomorrow!

Hey, thought I'd let everyone know that the Stetson/Resistol factory & outlet store in Garland, Tx is not far from me...about 30 mi. My son and I try to visit the store every couple of months.

They have a good supply of every style and I've come across several Stratoliners in the store but they're always larger sizes...7 5/8 - 7 3/4. But they have more Western style hats in all materials than you'll ever see in one place.

My last two visits had me coming home with a Stetson Dune each time, one black and one gray. Prices at the store are half the normal street prices with bigger discounts on multiple purchases.

A few months ago I took a 60's era Stetson to them to have the sweat band replaced. They turned it around in one day and put a new liner and ribbon band on it for $25 bucks.
here's some before and after photos:
IMG_9382.png
IMG_9384.png
IMG_9439.jpg
IMG_9440.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9382.png
    IMG_9382.png
    589.8 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_9384.png
    IMG_9384.png
    627.5 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_9439.jpg
    IMG_9439.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 192
  • IMG_9440.jpg
    IMG_9440.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 170
A new-to-me Byer-Rolnick Resistol ventilated straw Sage & Sand model with a 3 inch brim and a 3/16 ribbon. There is a production tag under the sweat but the only thing stamped on it is the price; $5.95. The crown (and perhaps the whole hat) was machine pressed. This thing is as light as a feather. I'm sure it is 1/3 the weight of a comparable modern Stetson or Resistol. I can tell little difference in weight between this one and my modern Stetson Centerdent panama, it hardly weighs a thing. The sweat is in great shape and very supple. It just needs a little sponge bath and it will be as good as new. I know it is not that old but I'm really not up on Resistols and if any of you knowledgeable loungers might offer an opinion on age, I'd appreciate the input.

Saddle up, partner!

View attachment 172387 View attachment 172388 View attachment 172389 View attachment 172390 View attachment 172391 View attachment 172392 View attachment 172393 View attachment 172394 View attachment 172395 View attachment 172396

A new-to-me Byer-Rolnick Resistol ventilated straw Sage & Sand model with a 3 inch brim and a 3/16 ribbon.

That's a nice one! I'm a big fan of that style. I believe you're right, it was machine pressed, and you won't find a modern one shaped like it. I have a few old straws in that shape, and a couple of them are Resistol. Both advertise something called vinylcote (or something like that, I'll double check when I get home) that's supposed to be some kind of factory weatherproofing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Here's an update to my previous post about the Resistols. It is indeed called 'vinylcote'. Wipe'n'wear, it says. Mine have a different label in the crown, and the vent holes aren't near as cool as those diamond shaped ones. They are both really light weight. And yes, Cuz, they have wires in the brims. Thankfully. My straw Open Road is unwired, and I swear I've got bandanas that hold their shape better. The tag is from the one with the 3" brim. It's probably my favorite of all my straw hats. It's a little snug, though, and I'm always on the lookout for one closer to my size. The other has a 4" brim. It fits perfectly, but I rarely use it. It's a little more brim than I usually need. It always gets whacked getting in and out of the truck.
be58cacf005842d1b95798c8ded8c6bc.jpg
eadbc5f5c62706b10f662bef4e52e791.jpg
114b1e48430e387620bc0b7e8f8e41f8.jpg
924434672a08453007ae9de99c2a0f9c.jpg
7a858306b672b2035130ab4123b0d948.jpg

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Very interesting comparisons.

Here's an update to my previous post about the Resistols. It is indeed called 'vinylcote'. Wipe'n'wear, it says. Mine have a different label in the crown, and the vent holes aren't near as cool as those diamond shaped ones. They are both really light weight. And yes, Cuz, they have wires in the brims. Thankfully. My straw Open Road is unwired, and I swear I've got bandanas that hold their shape better. The tag is from the one with the 3" brim. It's probably my favorite of all my straw hats. It's a little snug, though, and I'm always on the lookout for one closer to my size. The other has a 4" brim. It fits perfectly, but I rarely use it. It's a little more brim than I usually need. It always gets whacked getting in and out of the truck.
be58cacf005842d1b95798c8ded8c6bc.jpg
eadbc5f5c62706b10f662bef4e52e791.jpg
114b1e48430e387620bc0b7e8f8e41f8.jpg
924434672a08453007ae9de99c2a0f9c.jpg
7a858306b672b2035130ab4123b0d948.jpg

Florida_Marlin

One of the Regulars

Saddle up, partner!

View attachment 172387 View attachment 172388 View attachment 172389 View attachment 172390 View attachment 172391 View attachment 172392 View attachment 172393 View attachment 172394 View attachment 172395 View attachment 172396
Wow. Really nice old straw Resistol. That’s one great looking hat!

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Here is a 40's Stetson 3X......debossed "The Silver Spur".....likely a commisioned or stamped for a special event (those here may be in the know) as I can find NO referance to such a model in my catalogs.......
More on this hat here: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...tson-3x-before-1970.94192/page-3#post-2557605
Best,
Mark;) View attachment 172559 View attachment 172560 View attachment 172561 View attachment 172562 View attachment 172563

Excellent Stetson Mark! Congrats to this beauty.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk Pro

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
No.............err.............probably. I know little about such details of hats, however, this Sand & Sage model Res11.jpg Res15.jpg does have a reeded sweat and it does appear to have a wire in the brim edge. The straw is so light and flat I would have otherwise said No. But upon close inspection, it does have an underwelt design and just enough "round" to suggest there is a wire. And the brim edge is very stiff. I'm sure if I put enough pressure on it to bend the edge, it would break or otherwise do permanent damage. Whatever wire may be there, it must be very small and very stiff!

The sweat looking to be of decent quality and you speaking of the "lightness" and the price is what led me to throw out the estimate I did. I skipped on a J C Penney real straw awhile back that was very similar to yours and wish I hadn't. Does that one have a wired brim?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails