Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

ideaguy

One Too Many
Spencer- LOVE that Rand!! can we see a few more pic's of it?

wear Fedoras 90% of the time, and would really like to get myself

a Rand, or similar quality Western...tough though, the felting being so

different, fine quality still ends up feeling like a lesser grade Fedora due

to the stiffening; is there any way to get rid of most of the stiffening

out-leaving enough to just keep the shape?[huh]

Spencer

New in Town
ideaguy,

I will try to get some more pics of it posted when I take them. It is a great hat, I really like it. I am waiting for my dad to send me his hat stretcher so I can wear it. It is a touch too tight but I think the stretcher will fix it no problem.

Caz

New in Town
My subimission to the western division of broad brimmed hats...

These are just two of various hats I own...

The first one is from Mackey Custom Hats and is "bone" in color. The brim is 4" and the crown is near 6". It is a 50% Beaver hat...

b4wyn5.jpg

33m1pap.jpg

This is the hat I am wearing in my avatar.

This second hat is a family heirloom from my wife's grandpappy.

He and his sons bought wild horses to break and sell. If you are from the area, it might be interesting to you to know that the horses were the Keiger (sp?) Mustangs from the Keiger Gorge area of the Steens Mountains in SE Orygun. That herd is now protected in that same area. If you are willing to drive over some fairly rough back roads, you can see them running wild (almost) still.

fm6s7b.jpg

28sy35w.jpg

qrf3hg.jpg

Other than that the hat appears to be a standard "Tom Mix" style, I have no other info on it. There are no markings on the inside. It has a few moth holes and the ribbon is torn and the band (NOT leather) is partially missing.

suitedcboy

One Too Many
Interesting vintage cowboy hat. Is it 30's or when?
I have seen that area of Oregon when heading to French Glen. The Mustangs are around in abundance, or at least they were 6 years back when was through there last.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Stetson call their brims like that, Boss Raw Edge Kettle finished. They were formed over a kettle and formed with water. They could have quite a range of curl. They were available in at least 10 different hat styles.

Caz

New in Town
As to exact era...

I think the '30's or early '40's would be about right. Got the boots too and they are the short topped, high healed version that was popular in the same era.

Thanks for the info on the brim edge!

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Spencer said:
Here is my summer work hat.
Here is my newest, it just arrived. A custom by Rand Hat's in Montana
Boy, I really like this hat a lot!!!
home_0045.jpg

home_0053.jpg

I like this hat, too, congratulations!
In passing, it seems there's still a lot of hatters out there!

As to Sunbody, I never heard of them before...shows there's still an Atlantic Ocean in the middle there.

Paul

Spencer

New in Town
Caz,

Nice introduction, sound a little like me. Spend more time outdoors than in, hunting, fishing, trapping, hiking, camping, horseback riding, and general woods bummin'.
My most recent camping trip in the Adirondack Mountains
home_0042.jpg

Also, someone asked for more pics. of my new Rand hat. Here they are:
home_0025.jpg

home_0054.jpg

home_0015.jpg

home_0046.jpg

Caz

New in Town
Nice Rand hat...

Spencer,
I like your hat! Looks similar to mine. I had a Rand at one point...it was the Tom Horn and was "distressed" which I didn't care for. It was very fine beaver felt and looked very good but was a too big for me. I got my money out of it from a hat collector.

Nice camp set up!

Caz

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Looks like I never posted this on in this thread.
I've cleaned it up a bit since these pictures. The original crease became apparent during steaming, and it now sports a shallow montana crease.

IMG_9649.jpg

IMG_9652.jpg

IMG_9653.jpg

IMG_9654.jpg

very similar to this hat.
TheCowboyHatBook-GoogleBookSearch_1.jpg

carter

I'll Lock Up
Dinerman said:
Looks like I never posted this on in this thread.
I've cleaned it up a bit since these pictures. The original crease became apparent during steaming, and it now sports a shallow montana crease.

IMG_9649.jpg

IMG_9652.jpg

IMG_9653.jpg

IMG_9654.jpg

very similar to this hat.
TheCowboyHatBook-GoogleBookSearch_1.jpg
I like the weathered look of that Stetson, Dman. Any chance of seeing it with the Montana Peak?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
carter said:
I like the weathered look of that Stetson, Dman. Any chance of seeing it with the Montana Peak?

It's back in Maryland, and I forgot to take a snap over winter break, so no more pictures of it until april or so.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Carouselvic, That looks like a terrific hat. It would be interesting to see the rest of his outfit. You may not have the hat but you have a wonderful picture of your dad wearing it. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot