Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WHAT ABOUT BERETS?

art92101

One of the Regulars
Hoquy beret

I can't remember where i bought my Hoquy brand beret. Its wool, and states "impermeable, Fabrique en France". It is fitted with a nice leather band and the top is lined.
I never did feel confident in it no matter how I tried to tweak it. Well, I finally grew a goatee...and the thing looks a lot better. Yeah its a bit beatnik looking but my guess is that the goatee elongates the face and helps the beret work. My wife agrees, it looks better with the chin warmer.
It is a good traveller and i like wearing it on my bicycle rides around the neighborhood on chilly mornings and eves.
I recommend the Hoquy, nice fit, no shrinkage and the leather band gives it body while still allowing slope or slant.
LeFonque said:
I have to admit to having a like for mens Berets. What do others think?

Bargepole

New in Town
Really?

johnnycanuck said:
...there is nothing I hate more then being on vacation and having a sunburn...

Being on vacation and getting eaten by wolves? :D

Here in Cambridge, wearing a beret is generally the preserve of people with mad staring eyes who mutter and bump into street furniture.

I wear mine a lot... very comfortable... Wittgenstein used to wear one too... odd chap... mind you Donald McKinnon... dead now... [WANDERS OFF MUTTERING & BOUNCING FROM LAMPPOST TO LAMPPOST]

Raindog

One of the Regulars
So it's YOU that keeps sitting next to me on the bus Bargepole!
I haven't got a beret yet...But I will be swanning about France soon, so I'm considering it. It's probably bad form but what the hell.
More people should wear berets in England. It shows a certain intellectual philosophical outlook....Often to the point of insanity.

Jeff.

Bargepole

New in Town
Raindog said:
I will be swanning about France soon, so I'm considering it. It's probably bad form but what the hell.

I was told, while living in the Vaucluse, that wearing a beret said: "I am an Englishman. Please be so kind as to tread on my head and steal my wristwatch. Have a nice day."

Moral: Wear A Beret But Carry A Spare Watch.

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Bargepole said:
I was told, while living in the Vaucluse, that wearing a beret said: "I am an Englishman. Please be so kind as to tread on my head and steal my wristwatch. Have a nice day."

Moral: Wear A Beret But Carry A Spare Watch.

That's hilarious.

Oh, and I have no berets.. I don't think I've ever worn one... I'll have to try one on sometime. But if my Homburg makes me look like a musician, won't a beret make me look like an artist?

Unlabeled,
Mr. M

Byrne Sherwood

Familiar Face
Self-conscious in a beret

I have had a Basque beret for several years, but tend to feel self-conscious when wearing it. I think this is because it is too easy to look like a hippie or a guerilla/G.I. wannabe if one is not careful. Plus, there is a tendency for the thing to shift from how you like it to being a big puff on your head. For compact traveling convenience, I would suggest a flat cap (aka: ivy, golf, or driving cap). They come in a variety of styles and the bill keeps sun and rain out of your face. Hanna Hats is a good brand for the Irish tweed version and of course there is Kangol for the less tweed-inclined. That said, if you can pull it off, a beret looks very dapper indeed. I keep mine handy in case one day I can acheive that feat.

Jake Sullivan

One of the Regulars
I owned a beret for a brief period of time. I purchased it in Ireland. I had rather lengthy locks of hair then, I got a lot of "Hey Rambo" comments. I lost it in a move wish I had kept better track of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart