Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are the stereotypes associated with different hats?

Edward

Bartender
galopede said:
Odd about the flat cap making you think of lower classes. In Britain they are worn by anyone from the royal family to the beggars.

... and yet they're still widely perceived as a working class thing (even a Northern working class thing in some areas). [huh]

Mostly I get the 'cowboy' comments in any brimmed hat, especially the Federations. I've even had "howdy pardner" when in a panama. Generally it doesn't bother me so much when it is obvious the commentator is attempting to be complimentary rather than "funny". Caps tend not to draw any comments at all, so I don't know.... One day last week, while in grey pinstripe trousers, B&W spectators, db blazer and a silver grey fedora (new, but in very much an early 50s style) I was told I looked like "a reject from a Frank Sinatra movie" - intended (and taken) as a compliment. :lol: I think that style of hat, epsecially in silver grey, says "Sinatra" to a lot of folks.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I'm surprised no one has yet put forth one of the more common stereotypes, especially since so many have heard it: fedora = gangster.

I never quite get that one since in every "gangster" movie everyone wears a hat, not just the gangsters! [huh]

Cheers,
Tom

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Nobody's going to confuse me with a banker. An eccentric, maybe...

DobbsDerby.jpg

Brad

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
I'll take a crack at this. Hope it doesn't come across as harsh, I just want to be as blunt as I can concewrning the general public's attitude toward hats in general as per my viewpoint.

BallCap = regular wear.
Hat = Old Man, Latest movie reference (Indiana Jones, Public Enemies, The Spirit, Road to Perdition, etc..

More specifically...
Gray Fedora = Capone, 30's Gangster, Old Man, News Reporter, Swing Scene
Brown Fedora = Indy, Cowboy (with Trenchcoat) detective, to include non-hat wearing detectives and even Sherlock Holmes
Black Fedora = Amish, Blues Brothers
Panama = Deep South caricature, Cuba, Drug Lord.
Flat Cap = Golf, Irish, Old Man
Homburg = Godfather, unless african-american, then Jazz.
Top Hat = Costume, magician
Bowler = Costume, Steampunk, Watson
Boater = Costume, Flim-flam man or Con man
Cowboy = While it's true that working cattlemen tend to wear ballcaps, they wear nice cowboy hats for dinner, dancing and special occasions, at least here in the southern Plains states. For most other regions, Country Music scene, Costume.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
All I know is that when I wear my G.B. Borsalino, 'Giunglia' model, with a dark pair of shades, the tourists get out of the way.

GiungliaMed.jpg

Inusuit

A-List Customer
ron521 said:
Cowboy hat worn while inside any building = wannabe (real cowboys remove their hats when entering a building)

Entering ANY building? Not so much in Wyoming. Private homes, church, better restaurants if there's a safe clean place to put it. Otherwise, I'm thinking real cowboys keep their hats on. Topic is discussed at some length in "The Cowboy Hat Book" by Rand and Reynolds.

IMHO, Wannabe = "pre-distressed" hats, cheap straws with extreme brim rolls, hats worn with shorts or sandals, hats with two inch feather hat bands, hats placed brim side down when removed.

shindeco

A-List Customer
Wearing a boater gets me mostly comments on barbershop quartets; although I have received one that I looked like I should break into a tap dance and one that I looked like I was on Broadway

My husband always calls me Colonel Sanders when I wear it...[huh]

Doggy Darb

New in Town
Negative Perceptions

First off, I would like to greet everyone, as this is my first posting here. This forum has surfaced in my searches many times, so I have decided to participate.

There are a few points I would like to speak to on this matter. As many have pointed out positive or neutral stereotypes, I would like to offer some of the negative perceptions:

-Anyone who is wearing any type of hat that is not a ball cap or uniform type of head wear that is under the age of 50 is generally perceived as odd.

-It is a frequent assumption that the younger hat wearer is "trying too hard" to be cool by wearing a fedora/trilby/walking hat.

-Those that wear hats of a certain type are often believed to be attempting to capture the appearance or charisma of a character such as Indiana Jones.

-The flat cap wearer is perceived to be presenting a forced image of individualism. An example of such would be the college student or the bohemian. (While the flat cap did become generally accepted across all classes, it was the hat of the poor Irish laborer. In the British Isles, the flat cap had become the hat of the working class by the early 1800's.)

These are a few of the perceptions I have come to observe in others throughout my hat wearing life. I would like to believe that most people make no assumptions, but when one dresses outside of the social norm, it can only be expected that people will assume that you are odd if you dress oddly.

Personally, I find the ball cap, the most generally accepted hat, inappropriate for most wearers. There was a time that the only people who wore ball caps were ball players and children. In the event, I see wearing a ball cap as a form of suspended adolescence. However, I must admit that I do wear old ball caps when I am working around the house, a car, etc. when I will become soiled as a result of my labor.

It is my sincere hope that I have not offended anyone, as this was not my attempt. I do not believe that hat wearers are strange people. They are just people of different, sometimes better, taste.

Chinaski

One Too Many
Doggy Darb, welcome to the Fedora Lounge! I'm sure no offense is taken to your genuine comments and contribution to this thread.
:eek:fftopic:
Since you've taken the time to join up in order to post, do you wear hats other than ball caps when doing dirty chores?

Doggy Darb

New in Town
Yes, I will still wear a straw hat when I wash the car or garden, but I try to avoid soiling a decent (in appearance) hat whenever possible. It is difficult for me to keep a fedora clean when I am underneath a car.:)

Chinaski

One Too Many
Still Off Topic:

Well Doggy, we may have to solicit some advice from HP Gene - he has lids for wet-sawing bricks, serious dirty yard work, and more than likely any other job you could imagine!

Bingles

A-List Customer
Doggy: -"Anyone who is wearing any type of hat that is not a ball cap or uniform type of head wear that is under the age of 50 is generally perceived as odd."

-- I never found this too be true, but then again, perhaps it is the area in which I live. We have a few large universities here in Buffalo, which tends to make people in this area a bit more open minded.. and sometimes referred to as "artistic". 9 out of 10 times, my fedoras/pork pies bring in sincere compliments from people of all ages. The odd factor comes in when they really get to know me. ;)

Pork Pie = "Cooler" or more "modern" version of the classic fedora. (It doesn't bring up the image of Indiana Jones of mobsters).

Doggy Darb

New in Town
I do not wish to make any implications about the people in this area. I, too, have large universities in the area I live, one of which is considered extremely liberal. My statement was not to imply a lack of open mindedness.

There has never been a negative comment directed to me in regards to my appearance, pertaining to head wear. However, I have heard many comments, in hushed voices, that have not been directed to me, but heard nonetheless, that were strictly uncomplimentary. Similar comments in reference to other individuals have been made to me or overheard, so I believe these opinions are not exclusive to my appearance but that they are general opinions.

Most people have the courtesy to refrain from insulting the appearance of a stranger. Therefore, I believe that observing peoples impressions of the hat wearer's appearance based on direct expression to the wearer cannot be the basis for gauging the stereotype. Though I must admit, overhearing derogatory comments regarding my appearance must not be, and is not, the basis for these stereotypes. I present them as perceptions that I have observed in others, and that they are not necessarily the majority opinion.

It must be made clear, however, that I would like to believe the majority of people are indifferent. Perhaps my choice of the word odd was not the best use of language. The assumption is that the wearer is different in some way. The type of "different" that is perceived is largely based on the full visual impression that the subject offers.

To return to the original posting that contained the top hat: This advertisement was most likely using the top hat prop, beaming smile, and bright imagery to inspire a feeling of whimsy. One may use the same top hat differently to inspire a different type of feeling. A dark motif containing the same young man with a very serious, menacing look to his face and the very same top hat may imply the suspense offered by a Victorian murder mystery or disdain for the antagonist in a Dickensian tale.

It isn't always the hat, it's how it's worn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy