• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

What are you listening to?

Discussion in 'Radio' started by mikepara, Sep 23, 2006.

1. mikepara

mikepara Practically Family

If you have 'music of your choice' on as your reading this, what are you listening to?
    Stating random radio or background music is no good.

I've got Grateful Dead / The Grateful Dead CD on.
    Waiting in the wings is:
    Disraeli Gears / Cream
    Then & Now / The Who
  2. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

A Bach violin concerto and pre-game Notre Dame football talk.:)
  3. Billie Holiday
  4. My "Swing Kids" soundtrack, also in the changer is: REM's Document, Russian classical favorites, Willie Nelson's greatest hits, They might be giant's "Flood", Don William's GH (vol. 2 I think, it may be one of the other ones), Tom Petty's GH and Johnny Cash's greatest hits.

5. I picked up two boxed sets recently. One was for Classical music and the other was for music between the years 1934 - 1953. I'm listening to a bit of both.

Good primer I think. I'm quite interested in both, know little of either.
  6. Dixon Cannon

Dixon Cannon My Mail is Forwarded Here

Running through the Motown/Hitsville box set in while driving in the car.

-dixon cannon
  7. mysterygal

mysterygal Call Me a Cab

Jeremy Camp
  8. pablocham

pablocham One of the Regulars

9. Lady Day

Lady Day I'll Lock Up Bartender

I saw Massive Attack in concert last night (*insert girly squeal*), so all day Ive been blasting a playlist of the tunes they rocked at the concert :D

10. nightandthecity

nightandthecity Practically Family

Pablo you are a man of excellent taste!!
  11. nightandthecity

nightandthecity Practically Family

Well, I listen to (and play) what some people consider a wide range of music, but there’s a lot of consistency…..like it’s mostly from before 1960!

Walking to town today I listened to Vol 1 of ‘Swinging Hollwood Hilbilly Cowboys’ (1940s West Coast Country music) on Proper, and walking back I listened to my current fave Naxos CD ‘Django Reinhardt with Vocals 1933-41‘.

Then I had a quick practice with the missis for a couple of up and coming gigs: first some traditional English fiddle music from the 18th century, then some 1930s Western Swing. That’s gotta count as listening, right?

Then I listened to her practice bluegrass mandolin whilst I wasted time on the Lounge when I should have been listing on ebay. Then I listened to the bass line of teenage son’s hip hop CD mixing with her mandolin….

Now I’m trawling YouTube for more Bill Monroe clips thanks to pablocham, but getting sidetracked by the Whipporwhills, definitely a HAT BAND!

12. Bill Monroe is great.

Note: edit to powell post above ...

13. MKL

MKL A-List Customer

Old Time Radio program called GI Jive. It was a show that played the favorites of those of the armed forces during WWII. GI Jill was the host.

Mark L.
  14. Down to the Bone......funky!
  15. Not music, but I'm listening to The Maltese Falcon, read by Michael Prichard.
  16. Most recently:
    Fugazi - The Argument
    Candi Staton - I'm Just a Prisoner

Sure, those go together.

I had to study Bill Monroe in High School once.
  17. Pilgrim

Pilgrim One Too Many

"Guy Noir" on Prairie Home Companion.
  18. At this very moment, I am listening to Midnight Sun by Ella Fitzgerald. My collection is on shuffle.
  19. The Fleischmann's Yeast Hour with Rudy Vallee, 12/13/1934. Tonight's guests -- Cole Porter, Buck and Bubbles, Beatrice Lillie, Henry Fonda, and William S. Hart.