Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Buddy

New in Town
Charlie Noodles said:
How are they for reading long texts? I find it difficult to manage on the monitor. But that's not quite the same thing, of course.
Absolutely wonderful. The screen is eInk, so it's not far removed from reading on paper, and you can bump up the text size if your eyes are tired. I'm a fast reader, but I find I read even faster on it, since page changes are a quick tap of the thumb.

zaika

One Too Many
i have been entertaining the idea of continuing "cancer ward" by sozhenistyn. i started reading it, it was good, but like with all books, i got distracted. ;)

Spiffy said:
Also purchased Persopholis on my lunch break today, I started reading it in line at Barnes and Noble and realized I was all teared up.

i hope you purchased the second one.

these rank at the top of my favorite list.

John Boyer

A-List Customer
Just started, Little, Big by John Crowley. I have owned this book for sometime but never had the courage to start reading it. As it comes highly recommended by Harold Bloom, rest assured, it might very well be "over-my-head".

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
sixsexsix said:
gone with the wind!

also found in a FREE box on someones lawn. I've see the movie but never read the book

I actually like the book better! Scarlett is quite a charachter.

I'm reading "A Pocketful of Dreams: Bing Crosby, the Early Years" by Gary Giddens. It's great!

MPicciotto

Practically Family
zaika said:
i have been entertaining the idea of continuing "cancer ward" by sozhenistyn. i started reading it, it was good, but like with all books, i got distracted. ;)

i hope you purchased the second one.

these rank at the top of my favorite list.

I have been meaning to obtain some of Sozhenistyn's books to read. But I have a waiting list right now that includes a 1943 American published version of "The Fifth Seal" by Mark Aldanov. I recently finished the book "The Russian Revolution" written in 1958 when the events were much closer to the author then a current book would be.

Matt

John Boyer

A-List Customer
Pip said:
Currently I'm reading "The Club Dumas" by Arturo Pérez-Reverte. Proving to be a superb read and advise anyone to read it :D

Excellent choice, Pip. I read and enjoyed, greatly, The Club Dumas. A few months ago I completed The Painter of Battles. It was worthwhile but I did not enjoy it as much as The Club Dumas. John

Spiffy

A-List Customer
I read the first volume of Y: The Last Man today on my lunch hour. Right as I was getting into it, my boss walked up and started a conversation. I wanted to scream: "If there was a manpocalypse, you wouldn't be here and I could read in peace!"

Oh. Um. There's a manpocalypse in the graphic novel. In case that didn't make sense.

S

Samsa

Finally finished Gathorne-Hardy's biography of Alfred Kinsey. Have been poking at Michael Pollan's Omnivore's Dilemma as well, though don't find it as interesting as the follow up, In Defense of Food.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
A Second Go-Around...

Piers Brendon's The Dark Valley: A Panorama of the 1930s, a fantastic book that covers the goings-on in the U.S., Great Britain, France, Spain; Germany, Italy, Japan and the U.S.S.R. in the decade preceding WWII. Great overview of the era which is never dry and always interesting, and while the book is around 700 pages, it's quite the page turner. Humor is in evidence too as anecdotes about Mussolini and the Weimar Berlin are hilarious.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The Red Knight of Germany

I'm reading this old book on Baron von Richthofen by Floyd Gibbons, dated 1932, but first printed in 1927.

Might I highlight that this book came into my hands thanks to the very, very kind and selfless gesture by one of our very own members here who contacted me after reading one of my thread contributions about the Great War. He asked if I'd like to have it as he had enjoyed it so much and wanted to share it. So all the way from the US of A this little package came. So THANKYOU so much, as it is gestures like this that make our little forum such a treasure!! :eusa_clap

Starius

Practically Family
Spiffy said:
Finished Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl and am now considering finding Diablo Cody's stripper book and having a bit of a theme-read month.

Every once in awhile I browse through Barnes And Noble's online bargain bin and order a bunch of cheap hardcovers. One of the books I got the last time I did that was Diablo Cody's Candy Girl book. I haven't read it yet though, so let us know what you think of it here as I'd wager you'll probably read it before I get to it in my "read pile."

Spiffy

A-List Customer
Eh, Unless it turns up in the $5 bin at my Barnes and Noble, I probably won't get around to reading it. My favorite used bookstore in town just closed, and I doubt I'd be able to check it out at the library without getting some strange looks.

Craig Robertson

One of the Regulars
Martin Millar's "Lonely Werewolf Girl". He's from Scotland and this is his latest novel. It's absolutely viral. It's the type of novel that forces you take a day off work to finish it.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Robert Crais's "Chasing Darkness". PI's Elvis Cole and Joe Pike are back and never better. Crais delivers another crackling page turner that hums along at lighting speed. Next on deck (I'm on vacation) - "Lord Edgeware Dies" by Agatha Christie and Doc Savage - The World's Fair Goblin by Kenneth Roberson.

I just finished The Heart Is Decietul Above All Things by J T Leroy. It was the worst book I ever read. It was written by a 16 year old so that is perhaps one oft he problems. It had no sense of narrative, it was just a series of events all jumbles up in time with nothing particularly connecting them. Rubbish.

So then I started reading The Man WHo Mistook His Wife For A Hat by Oliver Sacks. That makes me happy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183