Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Corto

A-List Customer
I'm reading Pattern Recognition by William Gibson.
Totally engrossing. Full of tomorrow's vintage trends and sensibilities. Reads like a pulp mystery novel about today, written in the future.

If you're a Buzz Rickson fan (even if you're like me and can't afford Buzz Rickson) you'll especially love this book.

Mike1939

One of the Regulars
I'm currently reading two books that go together like peanut butter and jelly. 'Among the Bohemians: Experiments in Living 1900-1939', by Virginia Nicholson and 'Antic Hay', by Aldous Huxley.

Jerusalem Poker by Edward Whittemore. The first part of his Jerusalem Quartet, Sinai Tapestry was a wonderful romp, and Jerusalem Poker, the second part, is shaping up to be more of the same. Excellent.

Highly recommended. During his lifetime his 5 books combined sold fewer than 10,000 copies, according to Wikipedia. he had a very interesting life and died in poverty. I was first turned on to him by a Christopher Hitchens review in The Atlantic about 5 years ago.

bk

Archéologue

"Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley. Its amazing how much of this 1930s fictional novel about the future actually came true. We live in a world where the individual is drowned in a sea of pleasure and consumerism.
Michael

John Boyer

A-List Customer
I just completed The Letters of Vincent Van Gogh selected and edited by Ronald De Leeuw and I am starting Adam Bede by George Eliot. Primarily, becuase Vincent Van Gogh recommended Adam Bede. John

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
I'm plowing through Liberal Fascism.

And for fun, I'm perusing Decades of Beauty; The Changing Image of Women by Kate Mulvey and Melissa Richards. This one is a great overview for any of our newcomers who want an overview of fashion history by decade. It has sections on undies, hair and hats, makeup, style icons and more. Very enjoyable.

Tallulah

New in Town
I am usually juggling several at once. Right now I am reading East Wind, West Wind by one of my top three faves; Pearl Buck. I am also rereading Jane Eyre for the mugjillionth time, Time Enough for Love (for the first time) by Robert Heinlein and then for religious devotionals, "Calvin and Hobbes" ;) .

I also read through the Bible for inspiration and wisdom.

...Yup, I'm a dork....

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Tallulah said:
I am usually juggling several at once. Right now I am reading East Wind, West Wind by one of my top three faves; Pearl Buck. I am also rereading Jane Eyre for the mugjillionth time, Time Enough for Love (for the first time) by Robert Heinlein and then for religious devotionals, "Calvin and Hobbes" ;) .

I also read through the Bible for inspiration and wisdom.

...Yup, I'm a dork....

I favor Emily over Charlotte; she's one of my favorite poets.
Pearl Buck (The Good Earth) is another; but haven't done
any Hobbesian since college and Leviathan.

...I'm a nerd myself. ;)

Harp

I'll Lock Up
John Boyer said:
I just completed The Letters of Vincent Van Gogh selected and edited by Ronald De Leeuw and I am starting Adam Bede by George Eliot. Primarily, becuase Vincent Van Gogh recommended Adam Bede. John

John:

Saw AB on a bookshelf yesterday, but was really looking for
Middlemarch. Then I walked out with Schopaneuer....:eek:

Have been reading a bio on Simone Weil, which examines the
circumstance of her illness and death; leaving open the possibility
of suicide.:( I've never been so intrigued by a philosopher.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Dangerous Men - Pre-Code Hollywood and the Birth of the Modern Man. by Mick Lasalle, a film critic (and pre-code film lover) for the SF Chronicle. I have to love a book that deals with Warren William in more than just a nod to his roles as a slimy, pre-code womanizer, and Mick LaSalle writes the book in a narrative that seems like he's speaking right to the reader. (I've also read and recommend his first book, Complicated Women - Sex and Power in Pre-Code Hollywood).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay