Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Harp said:
John:
I haven't read Lewis' Miracles, but yesterday I stumbled across
The Screwtape Letters inside a small Franciscan bookstore downtown,
where it was shelved under Philosophy. Thought it was time for a
revisit with Wormwood. :) Found an excellent study of Hopkins which
I left for later. Will look for Miracles next week. :)

If you haven't read it you'd almost certainly enjoy "The Abolition of Man". It contains the essay "Men Without Chests" which you may be familiar with.

Wandering Fool

New in Town
Reading Today

I just started reading Roald Dahls "Book of Ghost Stories". I am a storyteller and was told that there are some great stories within it. So far...so..
What was that??
Did you hear that??......
Be bold, be bold..but not too bold, lest the blood in your heart run icy cold
Must be my imagination.;)

Harp

I'll Lock Up
carebear said:
If you haven't read it you'd almost certainly enjoy "The Abolition of Man". It contains the essay "Men Without Chests" which you may be familiar with.

Thanks for the tip. Read CSL a bit in college and should have paid him more attention. :eek:

John Boyer

A-List Customer
Harp said:
John:
...yesterday I stumbled across The Screwtape Letters inside a small Franciscan bookstore downtown, where it was shelved under Philosophy. Thought it was time for a revisit with Wormwood. :) Will look for Miracles next week. :)

Harp,

I love The Screwtape Letters. I read this for the 3-4 time several months ago. Wormwood reminds us, with great humor and wit, of the more prevalent but yet--little things--that cause us to "miss the mark".:) I passed up CSL's Suprised by Joy , a partial spiritual autobiography, for the Miracles--containing CSL's "dangerous idea"--which I have never read. I have The Discarded Image by CSL in the "line-up"; here, Lewis shares, in part, the impact that Boethius' The Consolation of Philosophy had on his own worldview. ;) I also stumbled upon Coles' books on Day and Weil.:) I hope to live awhile longer or something will go unread. John

RetroPat

Familiar Face
I recently finished reading "Postcards from the Edge" by Carrie Fisher. I'm now reading the former's sequel, "The Best Awful." Both are semi-autobiographical and really wonderful reads especially for people coping with depression and learning how to laugh your way through the bad times.

Since it's the 40th Anniversary of Armstrong's famous walk, I'm on an Apollo kick again (by pure coincidence, reflected by FoxyTunes below)--various astronaut autobiographies and related tomes, next being Stafford, Slayton et al's Moon Shot or Lovell's Lost Moon (think Apollo 13: The Book) depending on which one I can find around the office's stacks of books and papers first.

----------------
Now playing: James Horner - Re-Entry And Splashdown
via FoxyTunes

metropd

One Too Many
Diamondback don't lie your reading the new book about how a secret squad of F18's were sent back to the 1940's (via time machine) to help the US Army Air Corps stop Hitler from Liberating the liberal Commie Pinko hippies in the Tye Dye offensive of 1742.

I know it sounds confusing but you read Rush Limbaugh books too.lollol :p

Harp

I'll Lock Up
John Boyer said:
Harp,
...I have The Discarded Image by CSL in the "line-up"; here, Lewis shares, in part, the impact that Boethius' The Consolation of Philosophy had on his own worldview. ;) I also stumbled upon Coles' books on Day and Weil.... John

I wonder how Boethius' epistle might have read had Lady Philosophy
not banished the sirens of Poetry from his prison cell. ;)

Speaking of Simone...
Coles' book is the most thorough and objective study of her personality
that I have found. Interesting to contrast Weil with Lewis, and their
contemporary Bonhoeffer; whom like SW spent some time in Harlem
before returning to Germany and eventual execution. Doubtful that
they ever met, or were aware of each other, still quite a coincidence...
Weil, Lewis, and Bonhoeffer, I tossed a pebble into the water and this
philosophic circumference expands. :)

Mike1939

One of the Regulars
The Glass Heart (1946) by Marty Holland AKA Mary Holland who also wrote Fallen Angel. She is fast becoming one of my favorites, unfortunately there are only a few of her books out there and little information on the author. Is anyone else a fan or have any info on this classic hard boiled writer?

John Boyer

A-List Customer
Harp said:
...Interesting to contrast Weil with Lewis, and their
contemporary Bonhoeffer; whom like SW spent some time in Harlem
before returning to Germany and eventual execution. Doubtful that
they ever met, or were aware of each other, still quite a coincidence...
Weil, Lewis, and Bonhoeffer, I tossed a pebble into the water and this
philosophic circumference expands. :)

Harp,

Dietrich Bonhoeffer!:cheers1:. His work, The Cost of Discipleship is canonical! Intriguing to wonder of possible connections between the three. I am most certain, Lewis has a well documented opinion on both Weil and Bonhoeffer. John

Torpedo

One Too Many
I just finished "The Big Nowhere", by James Ellroy. It is second in the L.A. quartet - preceded by "The Black Dahlia", and followed by "L.A. Confidential" (these two are better known, because of their movie adaptations) and "White Jazz".

I liked it. A rich, if convoluted, plot, and well developed main characters. Gritty realism, including pretty graphic violence and nasty details (which I do not think are gratuitous).

I do not usually read two books by the same author in a row, but I am tempted to look for "The Black Dahlia" now...

carter

I'll Lock Up
Iron Council (2004) by China Mieville.

"Mieville moves effortlessly into the first division of those who use the tools and weapons of the fantastic to define and create the fiction of the new century." Neil Gaiman

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn