Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Feraud

Bartender
Recently finished Obscene in the Extreme: The Burning and Banning of John Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath . Like the title states Steinbeck's book was found by an influential segment of the American population to be literally "obscene in the extreme" and banned in areas. The censoring of the book sparked a discussion of labor issues and practices, immigration, and Communist influences at the time.
A great read.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I found a lovely leather bound edition of the five novels of Dashiell Hammett for ten dollars on etsy.
It arrived not to long ago and I'm on Red Harvest right now.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Arendt; similar to her contemporary Simone Weil, often biased, conflicted, naive,
yet possessing a remarkable prescience. Both Arendt and Weil seem disoriented toward
their racial/culture heritage within historic context-Weil the more so; however Arendt
cannot be philosophically pegged and avoids certain definition.

You're a well-read man, Harp. Thanks for the dissection.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers

No man is an island unto himself; and McCullers was quite young when
she wrote Heart. Alan Arkin portrayed John Singer in the elegiac film version,
which dovetails the author's literary debut. Worth a look.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
No man is an island unto himself; and McCullers was quite young when
she wrote Heart. Alan Arkin portrayed John Singer in the elegiac film version,
which dovetails the author's literary debut. Worth a look.

I haven't watched the film yet but will definitely do so. Incidentally, Alan Arkis also plays the lead character (Yossarian) in the film adaption of Joseph Heller's Catch-22, one of my favorite books (I also like the film a lot, even though many people seem to dislike it).

ShortAndCashed

One of the Regulars
I'm currently in The Hobbit, brushing up on it yet again for next year's movie adaptation. Of course, any excuse to re-read it... Next on the list is War and Peace, since I've never read it, and love Tolstoy's works.

I haven't watched the film yet but will definitely do so. Incidentally, Alan Arkis also plays the lead character (Yossarian) in the film adaption of Joseph Heller's Catch-22, one of my favorite books (I also like the film a lot, even though many people seem to dislike it).

I saw Catch 22 not too long ago and noticed that the film also featured an unknown Martin Sheen.

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So, I've just moved one hell of a LARGE pile of my mom's books (due to the fact that we are finally getting rid of the children's cabinet). And it hit me: WE sure have a lot of books!! :eusa_clap

:focus:
I just picked Jostein Gaarder's "Maya".
(if it's anything like his other works, I'll be very pleased)

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Soccer Empire- The World Cup and the Future of France by Laurent Dubois.

From the book's blurb:

"When France both hosted and won the World Cup in 1998, the face of its star player, Zinedine Zidane, the son of Algerian immigrants, was projected onto the Arc de Triomphe. During the 2006 World Cup finals, Zidane stunned the country by ending his spectacular career with an assault on an Italian player. In Soccer Empire, Laurent Dubois illuminates the connections between empire and sport by tracing the story of World Cup soccer, from the Cup's French origins in the 1930s to Africa and the Caribbean and back again. As he vividly recounts the lives of two of soccer's most electrifying players, Zidane and his outspoken teammate, Lilian Thuram, Dubois deepens our understanding of the legacies of empire that persist in Europe and brilliantly captures the power of soccer to change the nation and the world."

And a review.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick