Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Harp

I'll Lock Up
There are passages in that book that I think about regularly - fantastic read - enjoy.

I read Simon Leys' chapter on Hugo in The Hall of Uselessness the other day on the train-then The Hunchback
appeared as if by magic at the office; so faster than you could say "Esmerelda", I snatched it. :)

I read Simon Leys' chapter on Hugo in The Hall of Uselessness the other day on the train-then The Hunchback
appeared as if by magic at the office; so faster than you could say "Esmerelda", I snatched it. :)

This won't be giving anything away if you are not familiar with the story (and might make you smile when you get to the passage), but my girlfriend and I will shout "sanctuary" periodically when a situation comes up where someone needs protection from dark forces, etc. It's all tongue and cheek fun, but does speak to the power of the Hugo as a writer that he basically imprinted that scene on us as a template.

DNO

One Too Many
I've seen the movie several times, but never read the book. How does it compare to the movie (assuming you've seen the movie)?

Like you, I had never read the book either. I didn't even know I had it!

The book describes a number of incidents that were featured in the film, which makes sense considering that the book was the basis of the movie. Typically, there is much more detail in the book. It interesting to read how they went about obtaining and forging the various documents that were needed and the manner in which they coerced and manipulated the guards and 'ferrets'. Brickhill, himself, was a participant in the escape. He was apparently in charge of the 'stooges' who guarded the forgers. Like most of the participants, however, the escape was discovered before he had a chance to go through the tunnel. In typical English fashion he does not mention his own role at all.

The Killing Joke

batman.JPG

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I need to look into this.

Within Southern Gothic literature lies a challenge to grasp the elusive and severe truths that haunt rational perspective,
and, in the case of Flannery O'Connor to accept the realm of conscience with its callousness; beneath which are hid the mystery
and the terror and beauty of supernatural grace. Poe comes to mind when considering O'Connor; whose poetry focused upon
the human heart as did her prose and delved the depths of the soul. She remains largely misunderstood within secular academe
and those lost souls caught inside the maze of inner doubt.

cw3pa

A-List Customer
Rereading "Wolfshead" a collection of short stories by Robert E. Howard. First read this when I was in high school. Written during the mid-20s early 30s. The cover art alone is worth the 60 cent admission.

Last edited:
"The Chaperone" by Laura Moriaty. It's historical fiction based on a trip pre-fame silent-film star Louise Brooks took to New York with a chaperone from her home town of Kansas. So far so good - decent page turner and some good historical facts woven in about the times.

Also, just started an old Robert Harris book "Fatherland" that explores an alternate history if Hitler had negotiated a peace with the U.S. and U.K. to end WWII. The novel is set in 1964 and, so far, is a good page turner. I only picked this up because I enjoyed Harris' "An Officer and a Spy" which is a historical fiction account of the Dreyfus Affair.

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Richard Jeffries. The Gamekeeper at Home + The Amateur Poacher

A look at country life in England during the Victorian era.
Brilliant :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace