Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

pgoat

One Too Many
AmateisGal said:
Just finished Gene Tierney's autobiography (goodness, that poor lady had quite a life) and I'm now starting The Genius of the System by Thomas Schatz.

Just curious - did she mention Spencer Tracy in any detail? Not looking for any dirt, but I had just recently heard of that affair and had thought Hepburn was his one big Hollywood extramarital relationship.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
pgoat said:
Just curious - did she mention Spencer Tracy in any detail? Not looking for any dirt, but I had just recently heard of that affair and had thought Hepburn was his one big Hollywood extramarital relationship.

If I recall correctly, Tracy had quite an affair with Loretta Young as well.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
pgoat said:

The only mention she makes of him is when they were filming their movie, Plymouth Adventure. She called him "the finest film actor of my time" and she said her mother thought he was the most tormented man she had ever met. Gene also said this:

"A few times he asked me to lunch or dinner. He was relieved that my mother came along. These dates were perfectly respectable, but Tracy kept watching the door in case Katharine Hepburn walked in."

So I don't know that they had an affair, per se, but could the supposed "affair" have been a result of the whole publicity department trying to make it appear that two co-stars were in love? I had never heard that she had an affair with Spencer, so I don't know any of the details.

Her main relationships that she talks about are with Oleg Cassini, her first husband; JFK; Prince Aly Khan; and her second husband, W. Howard Lee.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
imoldfashioned said:
Ooh, you're in for a treat! I love that book!

It's fascinating, so far! I'm a bit of a novice to the whole "behind-the-scenes" history of Hollywood in the '30's and '40's, and it's eye-opening.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just got back from vacation, plane rides are good for reading.

One Bullet Away - Memoir of a Marine Infantry Plt Cmdr in Afg, who becomes a Rcn Plt Cmdr in Iraq. Dartmouth grad, very well written and worth reading.

Lord Kelvin's Machine - Steampunk

Use Enough Gun - Ruark on African hunting in the 50s and 60s

The Sky People - Beginning of a sci-fi trilogy, Habitable Venus and Mars and a US non-commie Russia, near future, I liked it

Gods and Generals - about halfway through

Avalon

A-List Customer
Feraud said:
This weekend my wife and I found a cool independent bookstore on Long Island.

Is it Book Revue? 'Cause that's a great place.

Right now I'm reading "The Parade's Gone By..." by Kevin Brownlow - the quintessential book on silent film, by the people who made them. I've taken it out of the library before, but received my very own copy for Christmas. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou