Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Beowulf67 said:
:eusa_clap
I'm glad you like my book ;)

I just finished it :) . Very good, quite interesting. I especially enjoyed his likening of past Beowulf critics to knocking down a tower to see what it's made of, then complaining the whole thing's a muddle lol

Beowulf67

One of the Regulars
Nick D said:
I just finished it :) . Very good, quite interesting. I especially enjoyed his likening of past Beowulf critics to knocking down a tower to see what it's made of, then complaining the whole thing's a muddle lol

That is a perfect description of critics. lol
I'll have to hunt that book down, it sounds interesting.

Spiffy said:
They make me happy:)
That's what counts in a "recreational read", isn't it?lol Have to give the idea a try sometime--with my freelancing life, almost everything I read is business-related and thus I don't have time to really enjoy it.:( (And usually pretty dull stuff like WWII units and tactics--Osprey Publishing's volumes on D-Day are about as exciting as it gets for me.)

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
If you haven't read Joe R Lansdale let me recommend him to you now!
His short story "Bubba Ho Tepp" was made into a pretty neat film starring Bruce Campbell.
I just read "Sunset and Sawdust". He's always a little different but enjoyable.

Charlie Noodles

A-List Customer
KY Gentleman said:
If you haven't read Joe R Lansdale let me recommend him to you now!
His short story "Bubba Ho Tepp" was made into a pretty neat film starring Bruce Campbell.
I just read "Sunset and Sawdust". He's always a little different but enjoyable.

Bruce Campbell isn't Elvis. He is Jesus.

Maguire

Practically Family
Finished Plutarch's On Sparta, now i've jumped to a biography of Roman Emperor Marcus Aurelius by Anthony Birley. So far its mostly translations of letters between the young caesar and his tutors but its a worthwhile read- Aurelius was the proverbial philosopher king and held in high regards in his time and beyond, more so than any of the other "five good emperors" despite leaving Commodus to run Rome to the ground. Milestones, Sayyid Qutb's magnus opus arrived in the mail recently and will be my next read.

Charlie Noodles

A-List Customer
dollydaydream said:
I absolutely love Alice!! Have you read the annotated alice? It's really rather interesting. Can be difficult to read as it's just the story with massive footnotes, but still great :)

I pick up "Penguin Classics" editions because they're rather cheap and generally annotated. This one is.

shortbow

Practically Family
Just finishing THE TIN ROOF BLOWDOWN by James Burke, getting ready to start Elizabeth George's CARELESS IN RED, DS Lynley's first outing since his poor wife was murdered.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've been rediscovering my high school collection of early Ellery Queen mysteries -- when I was in my teens, I was a huge fan of these, and re-reading them thirty years later they're still very entertaining. No gore, no exaggerated violence, no sex, just a crime presented as an intellectual puzzle to be solved logically and methodically. Right now I'm finishing "The French Powder Mystery," from 1930, which benefits from a great period setting in a large department store. I've long since forgotten the solution from my first reading, and have yet to figure it out!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic