Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Seven Pillars of Wisdom by T. E. Lawerence
Comanche Moon by Larry McMurtry

Over the years, I've loaned two copies of Seven Pillars of Wisdom to people with an interest in the area and never seen them again!
I have an eBook version these days and it's staying with me.

I'd love the opportunity to follow the trail of some of Lawrence's journeys.

Cricket

Practically Family
I purchased August Sanders: Citizens of the Twentieth Century, Potrait Photographs 1892-1952. The photographs have allowed me to step back in time to the years of the Kaisers, the Weimar Republic, the Nazi regime and early Federal Republic. The collection is organized in a rank-ordered depiction of the Germans including Farmers, Workers, Women, Occupations, Artists, the Big City and the Last People. Impressive, informative and overall an excellent publication.

The greatest part is the 450-page hardback only cost me a $1 at my local library.

wahine

Practically Family
A Stone For Danny Fisher by Harold Robbins.
I've had it on my shelf for quite some time, having it bought initially cause I'm an Elvis fan and wanted to have a look at the novel that was the basis of King Creole. I haven't read it earlier cause I thought it might have so much violence in it that I'd not like it.
But it's really worth reading, the writing style of Robbins really pleases me. It gives a colorful picture of a poor family's life in pre-war New York.
Plus, it's not as far from the movie as I expected it to be. Only replace "boxing" by "singing" and you pretty much got it :D

WH1

Practically Family
Guy Sajer's WWII memoir, The Forgotten Soldier

An excellent book, I have read it several times. I purchased a copy for my Marines to read on this deployment and they have all been surprised by the scale of combat on the Eastern Front.

I am currently working my way through Bradley's The Imperial Cruise. Tough bit of revisionist history. I am a bit disappointed at his seeming tendency to quote and site secondary sources and the works of other authors rather than use the original documents.

DNO

One Too Many
Michael Crichton's State of Fear. I don't think it's working for me. I have found Crichton to be very hit and miss in the past. Loved some of his work (Jurassic Park, Eaters of the Dead) and hated others (Sphere, Rising Sun). I'm starting to get the impression that this one may fall in the latter category.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
An excellent book, I have read it several times. I purchased a copy for my Marines to read on this deployment...

"If the whole of History lies in one man; it is all to be explained through individual circumstance."
-Emerson

Last edited:

WH1

Practically Family

Thanks for the recommendation Harp, Bing West has done some of the best writing on COIN warfare IMO. His book "The Village" about the Combined Action Platoon program in Vietnam is another one I have been recommending to my Sergeants. It is one which should be reviewed as a primer on Counter Insurgency. Have you read his book on the surge in Iraq in 2006, "The Strongest Tribe". Also excellent reading.

Last edited:

Harp

I'll Lock Up

I'll grab it next when I finish Sajer. Eric Blehm's The Only Thing Worth Dying For,
recounting SF's ODA 574 Afghan infil should be on every grunt reading list.

WH1

Practically Family
is that the one about the team assigned to work with Karzai in the beginning of the conflict. Haven't read it but several of my men have and all say it is excellent.

Talbot

One Too Many
'Whispering Death' Australian Airmen in the Pacific War.

I had no idea that British and Australian service personell were engaged in battle with Japanse forces some 3-4 hours before Pearl Harbour.

Renault

One Too Many
Just finished two books by a pair of hunters from the golden age in Africa. "The Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter" by W.D.M. Bell ...... Known to many as "Karamojo". Interesting read to say the least. Before that, "Hunter" by J.A. Hunter. This one I enjoyed a bit more.

Renault

DNO

One Too Many
Just finished two books by a pair of hunters from the golden age in Africa. "The Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter" by W.D.M. Bell ...... Known to many as "Karamojo". Interesting read to say the least. Before that, "Hunter" by J.A. Hunter. This one I enjoyed a bit more.

Renault

When I was a teen, I read and reread Hunter by J.A. Hunter repeatedly...I was fascinated with that book. I can still visualize the paperback's cover (charging rhino, hunter reeling back). Haven't read it since, but I've been keeping an eye open for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred