Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
I'm torn.

I don't know if finally it will be another Modigliani or a Jean Cocteau's bio.

This is the worst part, when I have to choose a new book to read.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
After all our bashing of the upcoming Great Gatsby movie I felt I had to go back and read the novel. I am ashamed to say I had only read parts of it in high school, however I finished it yesterday and I really enjoyed it. What an excellent novel. I enjoyed it so much I went out and got a collection of Fitzgerald's short stories. Not sure why I did not read more of his work before...

Flicka

One Too Many
Having finished two more Hopkirk books (On Secret Service East of Constantinople and Setting the East Ablaze: Lenin's Dream of an Empire in Asia), I'm reading the not-very-well-known tome Russia's Protectorate's in Central Asia by Seymour Becker, and trying to lighten things up by having Greenmantle by Buchan as my fiction side-read. I still have two half-finished early books by Evelyn Waugh lying around, but while I truly admire his style, he's like a mean-girl version of PG Wodehouse - he's got the absurdity down but it's all laughing at rather than with - and therefore I find it hard to get into him. The infamous banana story, however, I can well believe!

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
After all our bashing of the upcoming Great Gatsby movie I felt I had to go back and read the novel. I am ashamed to say I had only read parts of it in high school, however I finished it yesterday and I really enjoyed it. What an excellent novel. I enjoyed it so much I went out and got a collection of Fitzgerald's short stories. Not sure why I did not read more of his work before...

I've only read The Great Gatsby so a couple of weeks ago I bought four more of his books including short stories - looking forward to reading more of his work now that I've got the time.

Antje

One Too Many
after alot of teenager books about vampire, immortal life and stuff like that I now curently started
David Copperfield by Charles Dickens! I reads pretty easy the first 100 pages, only 700 more to go sigh

alsendk

A-List Customer
I am re-reading a trilogy by a swedish writer called Per Wästberg.
It will be pointless to translate the titles, so probably only FLICKAN knows about these three books,called:
Vattenslottet
Luftburen
Jordmånen

Basicly about a man, and his thoughts and friendships in and around Stockholm city, and a little about his incestious relationship with his one year younger sister....sounds bad and illegal,and probably is and was, but ends up with her finding a relationship with another man, and everything ends up nicely. But in all the books, Stockholm and its streets have a major role, and there are a certain nordic melancholia to it all, and it is snowing a lot of the time.
I guess these three books would kill most readers by boredom - if not coming from Scandinavia and knowing about this certain state of mind, when everything is wet, cold and dark.
I do hope that FLICKAN can help me out a little here, in some ways I find myself walking on thin ice, describing the books this way. Actually they made an impact on me, when I read them first time at the age of 23.

Last edited:

Steven180

One of the Regulars
I just received "Churchill Style' as a birthday gift that I am finding surprisingly engaging. It is authored by the proprietor of Chartwell Booksellers in NYC...

Best to all,
M.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Finally, I got a copy of "The Collected Writings of Zelda Fitzgerald", so after having only read excerpts and snippets in assorted biographies, I am at last reading "Save Me the Waltz" in its entirety.

Also, on that same impulsive visit to Half-Price Books, I stumbled upon a lovely copy of "Top Hats and Flappers, the Art of Russell Patterson", which delights me in every aspect.

Now 1/2 through, I'm finding it in many ways more compelling than Three Musketeers. Much darker, more nuanced politically, less of a fencing romp, more of a mature story of intrigue and drama. By all accounts this book was as popular at the time as the first. The next one in the trilogy, not so much.

That was such a disappointment to me when I read it! Of course, I was 9 at them time so I have no idea what I'd think of it now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic