Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I read Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl on my way to Hawaii. Quick read. Some um, very sexy parts, to say the least. Enjoyable, but didn't make me smarter. lol A welcome break from casebooks.

CharlesB

Suspended
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I read Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl on my way to Hawaii. Quick read. Some um, very sexy parts, to say the least. Enjoyable, but didn't make me smarter. lol A welcome break from casebooks.
Have you seen the program based on it thats on BBC3. its on all the video sites

JazzBaby

Practically Family
A couple of biographies at the moment:

Lee Miller by Carolyn Burke
The Josephine Baker Story by Ean Wood
Mae West - It Ain't No Sin by Simon Louvish

and one autobiography:

My Last Breath by Luis Bunuel

Should keep me busy! lol

splatt

One of the Regulars
Just finished re-reading one of the brilliant Phryne Fisher detective novels called "Murder on the Ballarat Train"...and just started reading another one called "Flying to High".

The Australian author, Kerry Greenwood, has now written 16 Phryne Fisher books in total.

Here is a quick bit of info on the main character from the wikipedia entry on Phryne Fisher:

The Honourable Miss Phryne Fisher is the main character in Australian author Kerry Greenwood's series of Phryne Fisher detective novels. Phryne (pronounced fry - nee) is a wealthy aristocrat who lives in St Kilda, Melbourne in 1928. She is a 28 year old woman detective who with the assistance of her maid Dot and Bert and Cec (who are wharfies, taxi drivers and red raggers) solves all manner of crimes. Phryne is no ordinary aristocrat, as she can fly a plane, drives her own car (a Hispano-Suiza) and wears pants whilst maintaining style and class.

Once i start reading one of these books, i usually finish it in one sitting as they are that good in my opinion. The earlier novels are all around the 200 page mark as well, which certainly makes it easy to finish quickly and get onto the next one ;)

D

DeaconKC

Splatt, thanks for the heads up on a new [to me] writer! Gonna have to check it out!

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
At the moment, I am checking out what different Norwegian crime fiction writers have produced lately. I didn't have much time for reading at easter, which is the traditional time for reading crime fiction in Norway. (I'm not kidding, we have this strange tradition originated in the 20s here. We call it easter crime!) So now that I have some free time I indulge my crime fiction-loving side,

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Baron Kurtz said:
Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens.

A truly great novel, although it features Dickens's most confoundedly convoluted plot; somed editions (including the Penguin, I think) include a separate explanation of the denouement!

Burnsie

Reading the captions...

OK it's a picture book but I'm very happy to have FINALLY found a Dorothea Lange book that focuses on her Depression era work for the FSA - I was out and about (Cigar shop, used record store etc.) and popped by the local Borders and bingo! A good day

splatt

One of the Regulars
Just finished a Phryne Fisher (wikipedia link) detective novel called "Flying Too High" and started re-reading an Eric Ambler classic..."The Mask of Dimitrios". I haven't read this one in a few years and i forgot how good it is :)

I recently set-up a "library room" in the house and found my Ambler collection, along with all my other spy novels, stashed away in a couple of cardboard boxes. I went through a serious book collecting phase between the late 1980's and the mid 1990's...so i still have quite a few cardboard boxes to unpack :eek:

Midgetqueen

New in Town
Am finishing up The Slaughter-House Five. Wish I'd discovered Vonnegut sooner.

Previous to this, I finally got around to reading Their Eyes Were Watching God.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran