Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
Lancealot said:
Once I got started I just couldn't stop I am a confirmed Dresden aholic current;y waiting the new book coming out this month.

I am currently waiting for my local store to restock number five, I have already purchased the others up to dead beat+ the graphic novel but I don't want to read them out of order.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Just finished Hellfire: The Jerry Lee Lewis Story by Nick Tosches. It's pretty amazing and wonderfully written.

Currently reading And The Ass Saw The Angel, a piece of fiction by Nick Cave. Not sure yet how I feel about it, but I do find the writing style tedious.

Also reading The Virtue of Selfishness by Ayn Rand.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I finished a book I recently re-acquired, called Crows, a novel written in the mid-80's. Had loaned the book to someone (why do I do that?!) and never got it back. I wanted to re-read it, found it on Amazon.

Also started a book called Chaos. It was recommended in a course I bought from the Teaching Company, also called "Chaos," about chaos theory.

Much of it will go over my head, as I am a math dummy, but I like to read about it, try to decipher what it is about, see how and where it goes.

karol

Feraud

Bartender
The Meinertzhagen Mystery: The Life and Legend of a Colossal Fraud.
The fascinating uncovering of a military intellgence officer, ornithologist, thief, forger, and all around skunk.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
K.D. Lightner said:
Also started a book called Chaos. It was recommended in a course I bought from the Teaching Company, also called "Chaos," about chaos theory.

Much of it will go over my head, as I am a math dummy, but I like to read about it, try to decipher what it is about, see how and where it goes.

karol

While in law school I worked the graveyard shift at a commodity brokerage,
and gained some exposure to "chaos theory" and the relationship of the
"Golden Mean" of numerical probability to chaotic market forces.
The best and most tried theory seemed to have been Fibonnacci's
retracement principle of 37.5; 50; and 61.8; drawn off price peaks,
which were alternately measured by Elliot's 5 wave count, with the
third wave set for 1.618% of the first price high. "Andrew's Pitchfork",
drawn against Elliot's five waves, gauged probable price patterns.
Chaos theory never crystallized so clearly what Fibonnacci expounded. :)

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Harp -- Thanks for that. I will have to research it, probably won't understand it, but it is fascinating that they can apply it to the marketplace and everything else in the universe.

The book I have was recommended in the chaos course taught by the Teaching Company instructor. It is Chaos, by James Gleick, and seems to cover mostly things in the natural world, probably a book for beginners. It starts with the butterfly effect, which even I knew about.

The course Chaos is taught by Professor Steven Strogatz and seems to be for laypersons wanting to know more about the science of chaos and how it is applied.

I recenty saw a program on fractal geometry that was on the Discovery channel, or maybe it was PBS. I was especially drawn to it because I had been using it unknowingly in my artwork.

kdl

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
I just started The Kindly Ones by Jonathan Littel. He wrote it in French a few years back, and it won a slew of awards in Europe. Briefly, it's about the life of a Nazi during and after WWII. It's a doorstop, so we'll see how long it takes me to get through it. Wish me luck!

carter

I'll Lock Up
I recently completed reading The Last Lincolns: The Rise And Fall of a Great American Family by Charles Lachman. With the death of Robert Todd Lincoln Beckwith on December 24, 1985, the last living descendant of Abraham Lincoln was gone. The dysfunctional trail of Lincoln's descendants chronicled in this volume is both sad and fascinating.

I just started reading All the Colors of Darkness by Peter Robinson. THis is his 18th novel and 17th in the Detective Banks Mysteries series. If you like P.D. James and Ruth Rendell, you'll like Peter Robinson.

Esme

One of the Regulars
Dorian Gray

I am reading The Picture of Dorian Gray for an online bookclub.
Through looking that up, then finding a paper copy on my husband's bookshelf, I have signed up to be a proofreader for Project Gutenberg.
I am trying to be productive while not working!

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Feraud said:
The Meinertzhagen Mystery: The Life and Legend of a Colossal Fraud.
The fascinating uncovering of a military intellgence officer, ornithologist, thief, forger, and all around skunk.

Have you read Capstick's bio based mostly on Meinertzhagen's diaries?

"Warrior: the Legend of Colonel Richard Meinertzhagen"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Warrior-Legend-Colonel-Richard-Meinertzhagen/dp/0312182716

In Capstick's defense, it was written prior to much of the documentation (as opposed to rumor) of Mein's frauds and lies were made generally available.

If you haven't, it is an exciting read.

Feraud

Bartender
carebear said:
Have you read Capstick's bio based mostly on Meinertzhagen's diaries?

"Warrior: the Legend of Colonel Richard Meinertzhagen"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Warrior-Legend-Colonel-Richard-Meinertzhagen/dp/0312182716

In Capstick's defense, it was written prior to much of the documentation (as opposed to rumor) of Mein's frauds and lies were made generally available.

If you haven't, it is an exciting read.
Yes I read it years ago and the copy is still in my bookshelf. It is an exciting read.
You are correct that Capstick's version is repeating the misinformation Meinertizhagen put forth in his revised diaries. RM pulled the wool over just about everyone's eyes for many years. The Brian Garfield book has done an amazingly thorough job of uncovering the extent of RM's lies.
There are around 80 pages of notes alone to support and expand upon the text.
Reality is stranger than fiction.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Adventures of Aunt Sally

A lesser know 1922 novel by P.G Wodhouse, about a young American gel and her adventures after inheriting Money. I'm going to dedicate 3.30pm till 5.00 pm, daily to reading this!

%7BCFF34312-FE40-4EC8-A855-2B641A4EB8A8%7DImg200.jpg

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
A friend sent me a book called The No. 1 Ladie's Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith, which is the first book in a series featuring a private eye named Precious Ramotswe, the only female detective in Botswana.

I just started the book; it is fascinating. I love detective stories featuring people from other cultures, enjoyed Hillerman for that reason. Am learning as much about African life as I am about the new detective.

karol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy