Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Harp said:
...please say hi to Sarah. ;)

I'll try... but I can't see her from my house. =)

Re-read Louis L'amour's "Last of the Breed". Forgot how much I liked it.

On to Eric Flint's 1632 next. Trying to get in some reading for fun before next semester.

DC3

New in Town
I'm getting ready to start Clive Cusllers "Plague Ship" I know I'm way behind on his stuff. But I'm a writer and tend not to read other novels while I'm writing. It's just a thing with me so I make sure there is no accidental influence. I can start that book without concern as I am editing the first draft of my second manuscript. I've got three more of his to get, but I think "Arctic Drift" might be a good one to read while on vacation in Alaska.

The Smithsonian Guide to Historic America: The Deep South and The Ideals Guide to American Civil War Places. (The latter part of an out-of-print series, but the Ideals guides are well worth the trouble to track down if you're planning a trip focused on American history.)

Oh, and the blueprints for Southern Pacific's Budd stainless-steel 10/6 sleeping cars that were Model Railroader's centerfold for June 1989.

----------------
Now playing: John Williams - A Whirl Through Academe
via FoxyTunes

Lau Mo

Familiar Face
Freakonomics by Steven D. Levitt and Staphen J. Dubner. Great book, it really makes you think about certain things in a new way. Plus it's hilarious at times.

John Boyer

A-List Customer
Matthew Verge said:
Mr Boyer,

...The Mind of the Maker is a theological work, isn't it? What did she contribute to Miracles?...

Dear Matthew,

Correct, Mind of the Maker is one of Ms. Sayers books on theology. Lewis footnotes Sayers to support one of his own philosophical arguments in Miracles. John

DC3

New in Town
Heading out on a cruise in a week or so and decided to go to Borders and get a paperback copy of one of the new Clive Cussler novels. Well they have issue the paperbacks yet so they only had hard copies So I looked around and came up with a couple of Raymond Chandler books. The Long Goodbye, and The Simple Art of Murder which is a collection. They ought to keep my fedora tilted back for a few hours.

DC3

New in Town
Heading out on a cruise in a week or so and decided to go to Borders and get a paperback copy of one of the new Clive Cussler novels. Well they haven't issued the paperbacks yet so they only had hard copies which take up too much space and weight. So I looked around and came up with a couple of Raymond Chandler books that others have mentioned. The Long Goodbye, and The Simple Art of Murder, which is a collection. They ought to keep my hat tilted back for a few hours.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Cold Comfort Farm"

9780141045481.jpg

"Cold Comfort farm by Stella Gibbons.,When sensible, sophisticated Flora Poste is orphaned at nineteen, she decides her only choice is to descend upon relatives in deepest Sussex. At the aptly named Cold Comfort Farm, she meets the doomed Starkadders, an eccentric group of relatives suffering from a wide variety of ailments. But Flora loves nothing better than to organize other people. Armed with common sense and a strong will, she resolves to take each of the family in hand. A hilarious and merciless parody of rural melodramas, Cold Comfort Farm is one of the best-loved comic novels of all time.

Produced as a TV Movie in 1995, with Joanna Lumley and Kate Bekinsale
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozhb3ytlyVg

Elaina

One Too Many
I don't post because most of the time it'd be a book a day or so. In the last week I've read "Watership Down", "Lord of the Flies", "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" 3 Lurlene McDaniel's books and 4 Harlequin novels. Not terribly heavy reading, and all but the romance were my kid sister's pleasure books (McDaniels) and her required reading for Freshman English. She's got a couple more I plan on reading this week that are required.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
It will come as no surprise that I'm currently reading the 1920 edition of "Tutt and Mr Tutt" by New York lawyer and early 20th century writer, Arthur Train.

I'm also reading Anthony Kronman's "The Lost Lawyer".

Small Town Girl

One of the Regulars
I just finished reading The Yearling. It is a story that I'll not soon forget! I want to watch the movie now! I am trying to decide if I want to read 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, A Christmas Carol, The Great Gatsby, or a book about Sam Huston next.

Slate Shannon

One of the Regulars
Since it's been too hot here to do much of anything else, I've been reading even more than usual. Right now I'm working on Lost Cities & Ancient Mysteries of the Southwest by David Hatcher Childress, Strange Creatures From Time and Space by John Keel and Bohemian Manifesto: A Field Guide to Living On the Edge by Laren Stover.

I also recently picked up, and am reading random excerpts from, The Ultimate Cigar Book by Richard Carleton Hacker and The Single Malt Whisky Companion by Helen Arthur.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Just finished reading Agatha Christie's They Do It with Mirrors. Off to the library to get another Miss Marple mystery tomorrow!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo