Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Slate Shannon

One of the Regulars
If you like tear-jerker dog stories, I just finished one called Nop's Trials by Donald McCaig, and I can certainly recommend it.

From a blurb on the cover, "Nop's Trials held me in fascinated suspense to the last page. It is poignant, authentic, and beautiful. This story of a man's dedication to his dog is as gripping as any thriller. -James Herriot"

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Slate Shannon said:
If you like tear-jerker dog stories, I just finished one called Nop's Trials by Donald McCaig, and I can certainly recommend it.

Oh man I can't reread Nop's Trials - I read it once years ago (I think I was about 14) and it totally scarred me.

But that doesn't make it a BAD book, if you know what I mean. No disrespect intended.

Herzen

One of the Regulars
After years of spoiled intentions, I've finally gotten around to reading Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand. About half way through. Only 600 oages to go...

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I am actually reading some excerpts from C.S. Lewis, find his material to be witty, brainy and quite mystical.

I've finished three of the four Ladies Detective series books that I have. Am taking a break before I read the 4th one.

karol

John Boyer

A-List Customer
Three Women in Dark Times: Edith Stein, Hannah Arendt, Simone Weil by Sylvie Courtine-Denamy. Appropriately tagged, Amor fati, amor mundi: "love of fate, love of world". A glimpse into the lives of three great women philosophers--who did just that--and a cultural history of the dark decade of 1933-1943.

Also, Wordsworth and Schelling: A Typological Study of Romanticism by E.D. Hirsch, Jr. An unusual work comparing the poetic vision of Wordsworth with the philosophical thought of F.W.J. Schelling; elucidating the truth in Solovievs' statement, "Mysticism is needed for philosophy, for without it the latter ultimately becomes absurd."

John

Antje

One Too Many
I recently finished the lovely book, the leaves of Elvis' Garden by Larry Geller, it is a wonderfull side of the elvis story
This is how Larry, Elvis' hairdresser experienced his time with Elvis and the spriritual search in Elvis' live.

Now I just started The Colonel by Allanah Nash

NicknNora

A-List Customer
For fiction I'm reading a book I bought a long time ago that I forgot that I had. I stuck in one of the bookcases and promptly forgot about it.lol

The Angel of Darkness by Caleb Carr

It's set in the late 1800s.

For non-fiction I've been reading Blackwater by Jeremy Scahill and re-reading The Dark Side by Jane Mayer.

NicknNora

A-List Customer
draws said:
Having always been interested in American History but never ever having read much relating to the US Constitution, I have decided to pick up "The 5,000 Year Leap" - A Miracle That Changed the World by W. Cleon Skousen.

Unbelievable!!!! I thought that I knew American history. I am a novice when it comes to the writings of the founding fathers. Their genious at understanding the writings of Cicero in 64BC, the power of the human form as well as the need to not repeat the errors of the past is well documentd.

What is truly amazing is that, if one follows the writings of their letters and treatices, they predicted (Benjamin Franklin) the conditions that we now see developing in America 235+ years later.

Highly recommended reading for all who enjoy historical accuracy.

Dennis

What a shame that we don't have more of our current crop of politicians who understand Cicero and who actually understand what our founding fathers created. They can't even seem to grasp that the Congress is supposed to be a check on executive power not a rubber stamp for it.:(

NicknNora

A-List Customer
J. M. Stovall said:
I recently found the entire 1934 Volume of National Geographic that I'm working through.

100_4565.jpg

Nice! Let us know if you run across any interesting items.

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
Rereading an old but obscure favorite, "Parties" by Carl Van Vechten. Must read for anyone on this blog. Actual cocktail recipes contained therein (The Kinkajou is a favorite).

Harp

I'll Lock Up
John Boyer said:
Three Women in Dark Times: Edith Stein, Hannah Arendt, Simone Weil by Sylvie Courtine-Denamy. Appropriately tagged, Amor fati, amor mundi: "love of fate, love of world". A glimpse into the lives of three great women philosophers--who did just that--and a cultural history of the dark decade of 1933-1943.

Also, Wordsworth and Schelling: A Typological Study of Romanticism by E.D. Hirsch, Jr. An unusual work comparing the poetic vision of Wordsworth with the philosophical thought of F.W.J. Schelling; elucidating the truth in Solovievs' statement, "Mysticism is needed for philosophy, for without it the latter ultimately becomes absurd."

John

John,

Please pass these along when finished. :)
Stein is such a haunting philosophic presence; less the enigma that
Simone remains, or perhaps even more so...

vonwotan

Practically Family
I have been re-reading some of the books I've finally unpacked. My latest kick is reading Evelyn Waugh's novels in chronological order. After Decline and Fall and Vile Bodies I have just started Black Mischief.

Inusuit

A-List Customer
The Lost City of Z, by David Grann

Don't Sleep, There are Snakes, by Daniel Everett

The Last Days of the Romanoffs, by Helen Rappaport

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo