Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
I am currently TRUUUUUDGING through Anna Karenina. Please tell me this doll throws herself under the train soon! :D I've been reading it sporadically for months. Every few chapters, I lighten things up by reading an old Donald Duck comic. Otherwise I would probably be throwing myself beneath a train.

I do like Levin, though.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
What are you....

JUst about to finish a biography of Django Reinhardt. Been listening to a lot of his music lately.
Fascinating guy...
and a snappy dresser!

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
I have just finished Reader's Digest's Biographies of American Presidents (8th ed.) absolutely fascinating. I'll have to try and find one of British Premiers.

In the meantime I am reading a book by Charles William (A member of the Inklings along with CS Lewis & Tolkein) called "War In Heaven". The subject - The Holy Graal turns up in the church of a small English Village.

Aorta

Familiar Face
Lady Day said:
The latest issue of Time magazine and its cover article, 'The Real Cost of Cheap Food'.

LD

That sounds interesting, what is it about? Factory farming? Genetic engineering? Monocultures and pesticides? Artificial flavours?

Some years ago, I decided to read something "classic" every year. After watching the famous 1995 BBC adaption of Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice", I thought, it's time to read the book.

From time to time, I need some fresh ideas concerning cooking habits, so there's also a cookbook on my bedside table, it's called "Vegetarisch genießen" (I'd translate it as "Enjoy Food the Vegetarian Way") by Dagmar Cramm.

John Boyer

A-List Customer
Silence by Shusaku Endo.

Extremely intense and moving novel set in 16th century Japan. An evocative and controversial treatment of the problems of faith and God, of sin and betrayal, of martyrdom and apostasy and a perfect illustration as to why Endo is often compared to Graham Greene.

John

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Rereading Vance Packard's classic 1960 expose of the consumer society, "The Waste Makers." Best read as a trilogy with "The Hidden Persuaders" and "The Status Seekers," Packard's works document the precise moment when our culture went around the bend, and they're as eye-opening now as they were when first written.

They'd be of special interest to "Mad Men" fans, I'd add, since they discuss in clinical detail exactly what the ad agencies and marketing boys from that era were trying to do, and how they were going about doing it.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I am reading a non fictional book about Jack the Ripper - okay but not good (so far) BUT I have a few books that I can't wait to get started on : The age of wonder, the boy in the striped pajamas and Sense and Sensibility and Zombies.. good thing I have a huge supply of hot cocoa!

donCarlos

Practically Family
I don´t read much, but I have some time for it recently. No fiction for me, only usefull books.
Recently it were for example:
Basics of the classical archaeology, Oldest history of middle east (by Friedrich Hrozny, the guy who deciphered hittite language), Selected works from antic literature (all of these for entrance examinations I´m going to take next year) and right now I´m reading Accounting 2009 textbook (for work).

Doesn´t sound like much fun, does it?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
"My Wicked, Wicked Ways" - the (auto)biography of Errol Flynn. Absolutely brilliant book, and laugh-out-loud funny through much of it. I highly recommend it to all Loungers.

Dan D

Familiar Face
Sartorial self-help...

'Gentleman: A Timless Fashion' by Bernhard Roetzel, and am waiting for Amazon to deliver 'A History of Men's Fashion: What The Well-Dressed Man Is Wearing' by Nicholas Storey.

With luck, my wardrobe will improve as a result of both!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy